+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever not done Thanksgiving?

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I've always celebrated Thanksgiving with my family. But this year my cousins hogged the turkey and I didn't get any.

The past three years my family has just made sandwiches for Thanksgiving. We have a large family, and it is just too much hassle to make the traditional Thanksgiving meal.

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
    I've always celebrated Thanksgiving with my family. But this year my cousins hogged the turkey and I didn't get any.

One year my Aunt made the turkey dinner. The potatoes were lumpy, the dressing tasted and looked like sawdust, the turkey was dry,the rolls were burnt and the turkey gravy was a little of the left over turkey juice from the pan. There was not enough of anything but STILL there were leftovers.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

The only time we came close to skipping Thanksgiving was about 10 years ago when my father was in the hospital... There was so much going on that we just sort of blew off the dinner... I think we all had takeout...

My sister is skipping Christmas this year... They're going to Florida on vacation instead... They're leaving at dawn on Christmas day and coming back on New Years Day... Christmas morning is probably a good time to fly! Most people are probably home with their families...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

It's interesting how you all celebrate Thanksgiving. Of course we don't have Thanksgiving. Christmas and Easter are well spaced out, so it seems weird to me that there is only a month for you between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Do you have turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving?

Some people do. In my area, it is typically turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Until about two years ago my mom cooked a massive, formal Thanksgiving dinner for all four generations of our family. It was a huge event, and always a complete success. My mom is now 80 and just can't do it anymore. (Of course she's always the first to volunteer to supervise! ) There are only four of us who get together anymore. So, I guess I've never actually "missed" it - but the numbers are definitely dwindling.

I was talking to my daughter about how the family has changed completely since she was a kid. My brothers and I are all single now - our kids have moved and/or have too many family members to visit, etc. We've gone from the huge table setup and, of course, the kids' table, to a teeny table of four and much smaller portions. It's not bad, it's just different. Oh yeah, we're still at each others' throats, we just don't have to yell as loudly.

Last edited by J.D.; 11-26-2004 at 11:49 AM.

I did an 'unthanksgiving' this year that was well received. Thanksgiving is based on one of those myths of America, was moved around by Macy's to suit their advertising schedule, and just based in too much politco crap for me to like. Unthanksgiving involved salmon stuffed portobello w/couscous and butternut squash reduction that somehow i was able to cook and make look prettier than the picture in my head.

I will never do a thanksgiving again

I also used to do the whole Thanksgiving dinner, but since I have had three spinal fusions I just can't do it anymore. I am only 47, but when it comes to cooking I feel a whole lot older. Good for Grandma still supervising I am sure she is needed more than she knows!

Well since I posted this my sister came home and we thought we would find a restraunt, and just go get a "bite". NOPE! Nothing was open, nothing at all! We ended up eating leftovers out of the fridge, but went to Meijer for a pumpkin pie, just to make us feel better! We made lemonade out of lemons and had a fun and relaxing night!

My ex-husband and I separated shortly before Thanksgiving in 1979, and I decided to stay home alone, planning on moping, sulking and crying all day. I swaddled myself in a warm quilt, made a pot of tea, crawled in bed and watched tv. By the time I got situated for the day, I found it very relaxing to not have to deal with traffic, cooking, and doing dishes. I actually ended up enjoying the day and felt rejuvenated and refreshed afterward, convinced I was much better off without the jerk.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast