+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

No pumpkin, pecan or mincemeat pie here. My mom is making the traditional Black Bottom Pie.

Unk, add some cranberry sauce to that sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2678553;
    For once, we're not having any of the usual friends over for Thanksgiving, so it'll just be me, Mom and my sister. So we're dispensing with the turkey and grilling steak.
    We are going to be by ourselves at Christmas (I think) and my husband and I were discussing what to have that was non-traditional. I like the grilling steak idea, but it'll probably be too chilly to grill outside.

Unk, add some cranberry sauce to that sandwich
    I'm preparing cranberries tonight. I hope that there are still some left on Thursday. I don't dare bake the pumpkin pie before Wednesday.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Unk, add some cranberry sauce to that sandwich.
    or skip the mayo, mush some cranberry sauce and cream cheese together and use that as your spread.

I think I was the only person in the world that never had eaten green bean casserole until about 2 years ago. I told my SO that I'd never had it, so he made it for me. It was okay. Neither wonderful or terrible. Once a year would probably be sufficient.

I do think I am the only person to love all the Thanksgiving foods. *Epecially stuffing, myrosiedog* Sweet potatoes, with or without marshmallows, roasted vegetables, cranberry salad, jello salad, pumpkin pie, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy . . . all of it and not necessarily in that order.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the FoRTers!

Here's what you could expect at my home for Thanksgiving if I were actually hosting, that is:
    Dining Without Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving. I'm telling you in advance, so don't act surprised. Since Ms. Stewart won't be coming, I've made a few small changes:

1. Our sidewalk will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries. After a trial run, it was decided that no matter how cleverly done, rows of flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.

2. Once inside, our guests will note that the entry hall is not decorated with the swags of Indian corn and fall foliage I had planned to make. Instead, I've gotten the kids involved in the decorating by having them track in colorful autumn leaves from the front yard. The mud was their idea.

3. The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china, or crystal goblets. If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork. Since this IS Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the plastic Peter Rabbit plate and the Santa napkins from last Christmas.

4. Our centerpiece will not be the tower of fresh fruit and flowers that I promised. Instead we will be displaying a hedgehog-like decoration hand-crafted from the finest construction paper. The artist assures me it is a turkey.

5. We will be dining fashionably late. The children will entertain you while you wait. I'm sure they will be happy to share every choice comment I have made regarding Thanksgiving, pilgrims and the turkey hotline. Please remember that most of these comments were made at 5:00 a.m. upon discovering that the turkey was still hard enough to cut diamonds. As accompaniment to the children's recital, I will play a recording of tribal drumming. If the children should mention that I don't own a recording of tribal drumming, or that tribal drumming sounds suspiciously like a frozen turkey in a clothes dryer, ignore them. They are lying.

6. We toyed with the idea of ringing a dainty silver bell to announce the start of our feast. In the end, we chose to keep our traditional method. We've also decided against a formal seating arrangement. When the smoke alarm sounds, please gather around the table and sit where you like. In the spirit of harmony, we will ask the children to sit at a separate table ... in a separate room ... next door.

7. Now, I know you have all seen pictures of one person carving a turkey in front of a crowd of appreciative onlookers. This will not be happening at our dinner. For safety reasons, the turkey will be carved in a private ceremony. I stress "private" meaning: Do not, under any circumstances, enter the kitchen to laugh at me. Do not send small, unsuspecting children to check on my progress. I have an electric knife. The turkey is unarmed. It stands to reason that I will eventually win. When I do, we will eat.

8. I would like to take this opportunity to remind my young diners that "passing the rolls" is not a football play. Nor is it a request to bean your sister in the head with warm tasty bread.

9. Before I forget, there is one last change. Instead of offering a choice among 12 different scrumptious desserts, we will be serving the traditional pumpkin pie, garnished with whipped cream and small fingerprints. You will still have a choice; take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2678537;
    We have plenty of room and food, so come on down. If 12 million can get here illegally, I'm sure there's a way to get you here without a passport.
    Thanks sweetie!

anemone: That was priceless!

I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving with your family and friends. Eat, drink and be merry! (But don't drive...take a cab)
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2679295;
    I'm preparing cranberries tonight. I hope that there are still some left on Thursday. I don't dare bake the pumpkin pie before Wednesday.
    You sound like me. If I were to make the pies today, I'd have to make them again for Thur. Which is why I never buy Halloween or Christmas candy until the last possible min.

My daughter's bf had his birthday on friday and I made a cake and don't you know those 2 teenagers fell on it like they were famine victims. So I'm going to have to hide what I bake I think.

How do you prepare your cranberries?

Lucy, steak sounds good too. One year when it was just 3 of us, I did cornish game hens instead of turkey.

We usually do prime rib for Christmas or a ham. But I'm already drooling as this year I REALLY want prime rib,

Anemone, I am the stuffing queen. That may be all I eat on Thur as I love it SO much. And NOT stove top. I make it from scratch and I think I could lay down in the bowl and wallow in it I love it so much.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Anemone that was hilarious ........I made sure to pass it on to all my other Martha Stewart challenged friends!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

I think I'm switching my menu to frozen Swanson turkey pot pies.
    After having taught 4 classes (100 kids) in the museum today. All of which have no school tomorrow and were on a field trip today, who all won't shut up or sit still, who want to hear the bloodiest of the bloodiest of war stories, I am whipped and the thought of making even a simple Tday dinner is beyond me. At least I have tomorrow to recuperate. But left up to me, it'd be those frozen pot pies and a pie from the grocery store deli.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2682882;
    I think I'm switching my menu to frozen Swanson turkey pot pies.
    After having taught 4 classes (100 kids) in the museum today. All of which have no school tomorrow and were on a field trip today, who all won't shut up or sit still, who want to hear the bloodiest of the bloodiest of war stories, I am whipped and the thought of making even a simple Tday dinner is beyond me. At least I have tomorrow to recuperate. But left up to me, it'd be those frozen pot pies and a pie from the grocery store deli.
    Go with the Marie Callendars pot pies -- so much better
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2678478;
    Is it okay if I celebrate American Thanksgiving? My family did absolutely nothing for Thanksgiving here. Anyone have room at their table for a little misskitty? I'm not fussy and make a purrfect houseguest. I just don't have my passport. Anyone know of an underground passage?
    Well, just drive across, and use your birth certificate. Then fly to Atlanta GA. Leave now and you should make it. I'll come pick you up when I get off work, let you eat all day, spend the night, and send you home with enough food to last you till Christmas, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2678478;
    If I had Christmas dinner on American Thanksgiving, would it be Thanksmas dinner or Christgiving dinner? .

(I know. I can be soooo silly )
    Well, if it's an American South dinner, they are close to the same and involve turkey and ham, dressing (we don't call it stuffing in GA--it's a savory side made in a separate pan, plus some goes in the turkey)about 3 different potato dishes, various vegetables, rolls, a relish tray that only the old people eat, and at least 4 desserts that I know of, so I guess you would be having Thanksgiving!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Attachment 22622 Happy Thanksgiving to all FoRTerS near and far, far and wide!
    Last edited by lopevian; 01-08-2008 at 01:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread