+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

MRD

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2676555;
    Not only do I detest mincemeat add of course sweet potato pie to my list. Pumpkin I can tolerate. -- reminds me - one year one of the ladies that used to work in the kitchen at work, brought in a sweet potato pie for for my staff. I took a small slice and it was the dryest pie I ever ate. When asked later, I said it was good, but the pumpkin seemed a tad dry. She huffed at me THAT WAS SWEET POTATO PIE! Whoops. tasted like pumpkin to me.
    I think sweet potato and pumpkin pie look and taste alike. To me, its not so much the taste as the consistancy that bothers me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Aw, I love mincemeat pie. Not the original kind, actually made with meat (bleah), but the modern version with chopped up fruit, spices, a splash of rum or brandy...

Honestly, I can't think of a pie I don't like. Damn sweet tooth.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2676575;
    Aw, I love mincemeat pie. Not the original kind, actually made with meat (bleah), but the modern version with chopped up fruit, spices, a splash of rum or brandy...

Honestly, I can't think of a pie I don't like. Damn sweet tooth.
    Well I posted somewhere else around here (recipe thread I think), that any food made with whiskey couldn't be all bad.

My grandmother used to make this MASSIVE (use it as a door stop) fruitcake. She made it around Thanksgiving and wrapped it in brandy soaked towels for a month. Always repleshining the brandy and towels. And brought it out for Christmas. I hate fruitcake, but this one you could get drunk off the fumes emanating from it. I think the only reason it got eaten was because it probably had a bottle of brandy soaked into it.

MRD

Just heard from my brother and now I remember why we have never in 35 years had Thanksgiving at their house.

They are having turkey and that is probably the only nod to the holiday.
    My SIL does not make or eat stuffing. There will be no mashed potatos or sweet potatos. Green bean casserole has never been made, never will be made or even consumed at their house. Same for deviled eggs. (the last year they came to my house, my brother was forbidden to eat the deviled eggs. I passed them to him under the table as he was sitting next to me.). Also no gravy is allowed at their house either. Everything is low fat, low sugar, no cholesterol. My SIL is a divine cook and has made some really wonderful things. But she is a very non-traditional cook and is now very health conscious. I say, be health conscious the rest of the year. Pig out on Tgiving.

They are having a pear and walnut salad, turkey, roasted potatos, steamed asparagus. cranberry compote, mashed parsnips and for dessert: fruit salad and MAYBE a pumpkin cheesecake (which I've had before and its nasty as she cuts back on the sugar and uses low fat cream cheese).

I think my brother was hoping some miracle would occur and he could come eat with us. I'm really starting to feel sorry for him and for their grandkids because I see nothing except the turkey that the kids will be likely to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2676487;
    Good God Unk do you know how many points are in that menu right there???? At least you didn't say pecan pie which is like 12 points alone!
    The pecan pie comes later with the big turkey sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2677925;
    The pecan pie comes later with the big turkey sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise.
    With just a little salt and pepper on the turkey and possibly some lettuce and tomato. But the lettuce and tomato is not always neccessary.

FORT Newbie

You guys are making me hungry... I love turkey Day!!!!

Is it okay if I celebrate American Thanksgiving? My family did absolutely nothing for Thanksgiving here. Anyone have room at their table for a little misskitty? I'm not fussy and make a purrfect houseguest. I just don't have my passport. Anyone know of an underground passage?

It's funny, because Swiss Chalet (a restaurant here) is already promoting their Christmas dinner special which is always great!

If I had Christmas dinner on American Thanksgiving, would it be Thanksmas dinner or Christgiving dinner? .

(I know. I can be soooo silly )
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2678478;
    Is it okay if I celebrate American Thanksgiving? My family did absolutely nothing for Thanksgiving here. Anyone have room at their table for a little misskitty? I'm not fussy and make a purrfect houseguest. I just don't have my passport. Anyone know of an underground passage?

It's funny, because Swiss Chalet (a restaurant here) is already promoting their Christmas dinner special which is always great!

If I had Christmas dinner on American Thanksgiving, would it be Thanksmas dinner or Christgiving dinner? .

(I know. I can be soooo silly )

We have plenty of room and food, so come on down. If 12 million can get here illegally, I'm sure there's a way to get you here without a passport.

For once, we're not having any of the usual friends over for Thanksgiving, so it'll just be me, Mom and my sister. So we're dispensing with the turkey and grilling steak.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread