+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Well slap me and call me silly - I thought yams and sweet potatoes were the same thing until last night when I was watching the secret life of thanksgiving with Jim O'connor - Turns out they are different: Although yams and sweet potatoes are both angiosperms (flowering plants), they are not related botanically. Yams are a monocot (a plant having one embryonic seed leaf) and from the Dioscoreaceae or Yam family. Sweet Potatoes, often called ‘yams’, are a dicot (a plant having two embryonic seed leaves) and are from the Convolvulacea or morning glory family.

Yams
    Yams are closely related to lilies and grasses. Native to Africa and Asia, yams vary in size from that of a small potato to a record 130 pounds (as of 1999). There are over 600 varieties of yams and 95% of these crops are grown in Africa. Compared to sweet potatoes, yams are starchier and drier.

Sweet Potatoes
    The many varieties of sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) are members of the morning glory family, Convolvulacea. The skin color can range from white to yellow, red, purple or brown. The flesh also ranges in color from white to yellow, orange, or orange-red. Sweet potato varieties are classified as either ‘firm’ or ‘soft’. When cooked, those in the ‘firm’ category remain firm, while ‘soft’ varieties become soft and moist. It is the ‘soft’ varieties that are often labeled as yams in the United States.

Why the confusion?
    In the United States, firm varieties of sweet potatoes were produced before soft varieties. When soft varieties were first grown commercially, there was a need to differentiate between the two. African slaves had already been calling the ‘soft’ sweet potatoes ‘yams’ because they resembled the yams in Africa. Thus, ‘soft’ sweet potatoes were referred to as ‘yams’ to distinguish them from the ‘firm’ varieties.

Today the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires labels with the term ‘yam’ to be accompanied by the term ‘sweet potato.’ Unless you specifically search for yams, which are usually found in an international market, you are probably eating sweet potatoes!

What is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams? Everyday Mysteries:Fun Science Facts from the Library of Congress)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2675234;
    As a true southerner I have to protest the lack of respect that yams/sweet potatoes are getting here. My gosh, with marshmallows and brown sugar it's like manna from heaven. Give me some turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole. fried corn and big ol' glass of sweet tea with a slab of pumpkin pie for dessert. Lord, I've been on this diet way too long.
    Your whole post has me

I have to agree with Unk, except for the marshmellows. But as a fellow Southerner, sweet potatos are definetly a big item on my menu. And we eat them all throughout the year.

I am now hungry for fried corn. I wasn't going to add a corn dish, but after reading this, I may have too.

Gabriel, I learned that a few years ago, but it is interesting isn't it? Still doesn't change how you feel about them though does it?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I agree with you gabriel. Yam, sweet potato's, I don't care. I will not eat them any where.(I feel so Dr. Seuss) I will bake them for Hubby but no way will I eat them. The kids ate them as babies but now won't touch them.

Jell-O is not a food. If you know what it is made from it becomes even worse. Although the Jell-O museum in Leroy, NY is very interesting.

I'm having two Thanksg-ving's this year. The first is today as Hubby is home and one on the day with the rest of my family. Hubby never gets Turkey Day at home and his daughter and her family always go to her Hubby's family for the day ,so I'm going to milk it while I can.

I never make turkey any other time either. I wonder why that is?.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

Quote Originally Posted by catmom3;2676303;
    I never make turkey any other time either. I wonder why that is?.
    Maybe because frankly turkey is kinda BLAH
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Jello is made from collagen. It's just where they get the collagen that makes it disgusting. Although now I have to wonder if they've synthesized it or what, because I can't imagine they'd still make it the same way.

BTW, if you are vegetarian, don't eat jello. It's an animal by product.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2675234;
    As a true southerner I have to protest the lack of respect that yams/sweet potatoes are getting here. My gosh, with marshmallows and brown sugar it's like manna from heaven. Give me some turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole. fried corn and big ol' glass of sweet tea with a slab of pumpkin pie for dessert. Lord, I've been on this diet way too long.
    Good God Unk do you know how many points are in that menu right there???? At least you didn't say pecan pie which is like 12 points alone!

That being said, we are having Thanksgiving at my S.O. on Thursday and my mom's house on Friday! I'm in charge of the crockpot dressing on both days!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2676487;
    Good God Unk do you know how many points are in that menu right there???? At least you didn't say pecan pie which is like 12 points alone!

That being said, we are having Thanksgiving at my S.O. on Thursday and my mom's house on Friday! I'm in charge of the crockpot dressing on both days!
    Now if y'all had mentioned any pecan pie -- I'd be there in a flash with a fork
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Oh no, NOT pecan pie! Pumpkin pie all the way!

And even though I don't care for pecan pie, it's worlds better than mincemeat pie
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2676515;
    Now if y'all had mentioned any pecan pie -- I'd be there in a flash with a fork
    We're having pecan pie. And since I am the only one that likes it, I'd be willing to share with you. The others are getting apple pie.

I don't care for pumpkin pie (and neither does my family) and Newf is right, mincemeat is awful. blech!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2676541;
    We're having pecan pie. And since I am the only one that likes it, I'd be willing to share with you. The others are getting apple pie.

I don't care for pumpkin pie (and neither does my family) and Newf is right, mincemeat is awful. blech!
    Not only do I detest mincemeat add of course sweet potato pie to my list. Pumpkin I can tolerate. -- reminds me - one year one of the ladies that used to work in the kitchen at work, brought in a sweet potato pie for for my staff. I took a small slice and it was the dryest pie I ever ate. When asked later, I said it was good, but the pumpkin seemed a tad dry. She huffed at me THAT WAS SWEET POTATO PIE! Whoops. tasted like pumpkin to me.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

+ Reply to Thread