+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

MRD

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2674354;
    *passes my portion of casserole to dagwood & myrosiedog* Here you and call me Russian from now on.
    myrosiedog - I also despise JELLO.
    JELLO haters of the world unite! and wiggle!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Hope everyone has a safe trip for Thanksgiving if they're traveling. Hope everyone's dinners turn out well. I think, since it'll be just one son, I'll make some lasagna. We like that more than turkey.

MRD

One of my very favorite meals is turkey and dressing and mashed potatos. and I always wonder why we only have it once a year. What is my mental block that prevents me from buying a small turkey throughout the year and re-creating this meal?

My husband laughs at me because I used to drag him to Bob Evans about every 2 months so I could have turkey and dressing there. (there isn't a Bob Evans in this city). I LOVE stuffing. That is the entire day for me is the stuffing.

So am really looking forward to the turkey and dressing the most I think.

going off to contemplate why we can't have this one meal (albiet condensed) more than once a year.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It isn't unusual for me to prepare a Thanksgiving-type meal several times a year. I have a client who used to be in charge of his company's annual Christmas turkey give-away, and he always ordered extras to give out to his contractors and the land owners with whom he deals. I could count on getting at least two turkeys near Thanksgiving, and at least two more during the year (he stored the extras in a chest freezer at his shop.) It became a running joke--he'd call and ask me if I wanted a turkey, and I'd ask him what he needed. Unfortunately, the company for which he works was bought out by a bigger company who doesn't see the good-will that can be generated by handing out frozen birds.

You know, I don't think I've ever had the famous green-bean casserol

One last random thought--I HATE YAMS AND SWEET POTATOES WITH A PASSION HOTTER THAN THE FLAMES OF THE HELL FROM WHENCE THEY CAME!!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

We have turkey and mashed potatoes at least once a month in my house. It's my favorite meal so we make it for Sunday dinner. But growing up we only had turkey on holidays. It is very weird.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2674812;
    One last random thought--I HATE YAMS AND SWEET POTATOES WITH A PASSION HOTTER THAN THE FLAMES OF THE HELL FROM WHENCE THEY CAME!!
    Finally, someone who feels the same about yams and sweet potatoes as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2674812;

That's another two things I do not like - Yams or sweet potatoes.

Premium Member

Mmm.. I lurve sweet potatoes. I like the baked ones in restaurants but without all the sugary crap they put on them.

My brother's family and I are making dinner and taking over to my parent's house, since my mom is recovering from surgery we don't want her to do any of the cooking, and we don't want them to have to go out and travel anywhere. I'm in charge of pumpkin pies and mashed taters.

Got 2 big turkey breasts to cook up. (one the day before).
    my son is coming home from college and I want him to have lots of leftovers to take back.
    we mash up the sweet potatoes and, of courses, add marshmallows.
    green been cassarole, cranberry jelly, noodles and mashed potatoes (the reguar ones)
    pumpkin pie and apple crisp.
    oh, yeah, devilled eggs - my sons fav.
    I told son he has to wait until christmas for the honey baked ham.

I get a turkey breast about once a month to cook up just to have fresh turkey slices in the fridge.

As a true southerner I have to protest the lack of respect that yams/sweet potatoes are getting here. My gosh, with marshmallows and brown sugar it's like manna from heaven. Give me some turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole. fried corn and big ol' glass of sweet tea with a slab of pumpkin pie for dessert. Lord, I've been on this diet way too long.

+ Reply to Thread