+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

I'll be working so I won't be able to sit on the couch and say, I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2671898;
    Oh, the leftovers are definetly the best part. There is NOTHING as good as a leftover thanksgiving turkey sandwich.

And I make a great turkey a la king casserole using the leftover turkey and mashed potatos.

I watched Alton Brown make green bean casserole from scratch last night. No cream of mushroom soup, no French's fried onions. I usually LOVE Alton, but last night I kept saying: "why?" That's the ONE dish that everyone loves and its probably the easiest to fix among the other time consuming ones, so why would I boil my own beans, and make my own cream of mushroom soup and my own crunchy onions when that dish is all about the convenience. If that was the only thing I was making, I might try it from scratch. Nah, that's one recipe I won't try. I like the old way.
    I looove left over turkey sandwiches.

I have never liked that nasty green bean casserole. Blech! Why would someone go and ruin lovely green beans with that mess? Maybe deep down I'm unamerican because everyone else seems to rave over it. I'd take a simple green bean amandine over that any day.

Too funny that you make turkey ala king, MRD! My mother made that every year the day after Thanksgiving when we were growing up. It's the only time (then and since) that I've ever eaten pimentos. I used to love it though. It was all hot and steamy and rice-y and comforting.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Burntbrat, move over and I will join you. I have never even tasted it, so maybe I am missing out on something but to me, it just looks nasty. I would take green beans almondine over the casserole any day.

Even though I will never make it, I do agree with MRD on why in the world go through all the trouble of making that green bean casserole from scratch, when the other recipe is so convenient

I've never had turkey ala king though. I do plan on making turkey pot pies by the freezerful (following roseskid's recipe for chicken pot pie in the recipe thread). I have made them twice since she posted it, and EVERYONE loves that recipe.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I love, love that green bean casserole!
    I'll be seeing many aunts, uncles and cousins besides my immediate family. Can't wait! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday wherever you are.

MRD

I love that green bean casserole too. I dont' know why, but I do. Could be that I love those French's onions so much

I'll have to post my Turkey a la king in the recipe thread. Mine doesn't have pimentos. But I do like pimentos, so maybe I'll put them in it this year.
    And its fairly easy. My friend from Florida emailed me and said that this year she's really going to miss that casserole as I always had them over for it.

Many years ago, Pizza Hut had a commercial about being tired of holiday leftovers so eat at Pizza Hut. It was done to the 12 days of Christmas and showed various incarnations of the leftovers. My favorite was "Flaming Turkey Wings" (for the 5 gold ring part).
    So now when I make the turkey a la king after Thanksgiving, my husband always sings: "Flaming turkey wings". He thinks he is so funny.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2673586;
    I have never liked that nasty green bean casserole. Blech! Why would someone go and ruin lovely green beans with that mess? Maybe deep down I'm unamerican because everyone else seems to rave over it. I'd take a simple green bean amandine over that any day.

Slide over and I'll join you. I've had that casserole BLECH! Give me plain old green beans with a dash of butter & pepper.

Burntbrat, MamaC and Gabriel, you are all unamerican. In order to be a true, flag waving, patriotic American you have to like green bean casserole.

I love it, but for me I think it is connected with memories of my grandma. She always made it for us. All year I could do without it, but we have to have it on Thanksgiving. It is like having Grandma back.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2674312;
    Burntbrat, MamaC and Gabriel, you are all unamerican. In order to be a true, flag waving, patriotic American you have to like green bean casserole.

I love it, but for me I think it is connected with memories of my grandma. She always made it for us. All year I could do without it, but we have to have it on Thanksgiving. It is like having Grandma back.
    Dag, I agree with you. The only time we ever have it is at Tgiving. I thought everyone but my daughter ate green bean casserole. And she's like Morris the Cat, she's finicky.

I'm making my grandma's pumpkin bread today. I always make it for Thanksgiving because we all LOVE it and it reminds me of her.
    When we moved last year friends and family asked me what they were going to do without the pumpkin bread. I happily shared the recipe as I'm not making it and shipping it.

The family traditions I don't carry on are the congealed salad (I hate jello in any shape or form) and the pickled peaches and the candied crabapples. blech!

(I don't eat jello or fruit cocktail today because of my grandmother's insistance that we have that at least twice a week and a "special" one on Thanksgiving. My grandmother lived with us and did most of the cooking. I still don't understand her fascination with jello. But I proudly have all her copper jello molds hanging up on my kitchen wall. They rarely get used for anything other than to make the occasional ice ring for a punch)
    Last edited by MRD; 11-17-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2674312;

*passes my portion of casserole to dagwood & myrosiedog* Here you and call me Russian from now on.
    myrosiedog - I also despise JELLO.

+ Reply to Thread