+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

MRD

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2687174;
    Uh oh...don't curse yourself mrd!
    Too late! Had to just send hubby to the store (again, we've been about 5 times in the last few days for this meal alone) because we were out of butter.

Hopefully nothing else will happen.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

That's OK..we've had 2 "catastrophes" so far...

(1) S.O. bought whole cranberries rather than cranberry sauce
    (2) Realized the crockpot dressing that I made will not feed the 11 we are having.....

Thank God for my mom...she's coming to the rescue...bringing cranberry sauce and this morning at 8:00, she started making another crockpot dressing for me....I my mama!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2687191;
    That's OK..we've had 2 "catastrophes" so far...

(1) S.O. bought whole cranberries rather than cranberry sauce
    (2) Realized the crockpot dressing that I made will not feed the 11 we are having.....

Thank God for my mom...she's coming to the rescue...bringing cranberry sauce and this morning at 8:00, she started making another crockpot dressing for me....I my mama!!!
    Mama to the rescue.

Since I am the only one that likes cranberries. I got what I wanted which was the whole berry sauce.
    The first can of black olives has already disappeared. Good thing I bought 3!

Happy Thanksgiving my American FORTers! I hope you have a wonderful day full of family, food and all things good! Enjoy relaxing because as I keep seeing, Black Friday will not be for those who want leisurely strolls through the malls!!

MRD

We had a very nice Thanksgiving. Hubby and I enjoyed a couple of mimosas while preparing dinner. It was a very easy meal because there was so few of us. We had a great midafternoon feast. The dogs (see the animal lovers thread), got their own and then we went and got a great bargain on a fake Christmas tree.

The real fun began when we went to do our other Thanksgiving tradition: go to the movies. No one could agree on what to see, so my daughter said if we'd go see Mr. Magorium's wonder Emporium, she'd pay. So we took her up on it. Everyone but me loved it. The star of the movie is the toy store and the special effects, but unless you are 5 or under, then its boring. The story was not all that great. It could have been a really great movie, but it just felt like parts of it were missing. Like I said, the store is the star and after the first 30 min., even that begins to wane. BUT..... we did have a nice time as a family and enjoyed ourselves and being the gracious receiver of a free ticket that my daughter paid for, I did not admit to not liking the movie because I didn't want her to feel bad. I will say that even the long ago kid in me would have done just about anything to have visited a toy store like that.

We then went to Roper Mountain where they have a HUGE drive through light show that is coreographed to a local radio station and you wind up and down the mountain seeing all the moving and non-moving displays. This year you could get out and walk through part of it, get hot chocolate, see Santa and his Shetland ponies. Yes, in SC, they don't have reindeer, they have ponies.
    The display is just awesome and walking through part of it was so much better than just driving through it all. The weather here is cool, but not too cold, so it was the perfect way to end Thanksgiving and start the Christmas season. I only regret that we did this spur of the moment after the movie and so I didn't have my camera.

Hope everyone else had a fantastic day. I'm off to eat a piece of "cajun" pecan pie. (hubby let the pecan one cook a little too long and it's kind of "blackened". Of course, he doesn't eat pecan. His apple pie came out perfect. But again, I'm grateful he baked yesterday as I felt rotten, so I shouldn't complain about my pie)

Notice the bottom left corner of the photo. That's Bogie begging.

I always take pictures of the food. I don't know why, it hardly varies from year to year. But we always have a picture of the food.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-22-2007 at 08:55 PM.

We had a great Thanksgiving Day too, with the usual Queen family feast. It was at my sister's new house that they bought after the fire last summer. We had 4 generations there! OK, we don't have the biggest family, so there weren't a huge number of people, but enough. I guess in all 20 came through.
    I didn't take a picture, like I do sometimes, but we had:
    roast turkey and dressing
    barbecued fresh ham
    gravy
    sweet potato souffle
    hash brown casserole
    mashed potatoes with sauteed onions and bacon
    tater salad
    multi colored cauliflower
    brussels sprouts
    sesame green beans
    green bean casserole
    fried corn
    sour cherry and pineapple jello mold
    rolls
    pecan pie
    pumpkin pie
    individual pineapple upside down cake
    double citrus torte

And some other things I don't exactly recall
    It was all good, and everyone got along and had a good time. Besides, I took my Birthday holiday so I don't have to work tonight. I think I'm almost recovered enough to have my traditional leftover turkey sandwich, on pumpernickle, about now--it's been 8 hours.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

So, how impressed is your daughter that you got a pic of her with a fork in her mouth?

Great pics.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2687852;
    So, how impressed is your daughter that you got a pic of her with a fork in her mouth?

Great pics.
    NOT!!!!

Hey, she knew it was coming. I set up the tripod, got the camera focused, turned on the timer and ran to my seat. So she had plenty of warning.
    She was also eating before the prayer too.

I never get a good photo of her as she is usually making goofy faces and now this one with her eating.

We ate around 2, so I got to eat again later on. That's why we eat early afternoon, so you can get in 2 dinners during the day.
    Tomorrow is turkey sandwich day.

Oh and its 2 am and I can't sleep, so I'm having a piece of pumpkin bundt cake. (hey the dr. has me on a high fat diet for a test in 3 days. I have to eat high fat so they can measure if I have malabsorption. So really, I have to eat this cake. I really do. )

Hey, did you notice the "blackened" pecan pie in the photos? Hubby was a big help cooking, but he burned the pie. He doesn't eat pecan pie, so he could have cared less. His apple pie was perfect. I adore pecan pie and don't get it often. Now I have "Cajun" pecan pie.

FORT Fanatic

MRD Thanks for sharing your pics The Mimosas and deviled eggs alone are worth salivating over

BUMPING THIS THREAD FOR CANADIANS UPCOMING THANKSGIVING WEEKEND!!!

Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011