+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The holiday season is upon us...be safe.

The holiday season is upon us...be safe.

It can never be said enough, but I'm compelled to remind everyone to Please. Please. Please. DON'T drink and drive. Even if you think you're OK. And if you see your buddy with his/her car keys in hand, stumbling toward the door, I don't care what you have to do, take them away and make them sleep on your floor or call them a cab.

If you're wondering why I'm in this preachy mood this morning, it's because we got a call yesterday morning from my father-in-law, to tell us that my husband's 17-year-old cousin was killed. He rolled his vehicle in a ditch, due to excessive speed - coming home from a party. He was in the 12th grade. He leaves behind a younger brother he was very close to, a new baby sister that he doted on, his mom, and his stepdad. His own dad died about 10 years ago. In addition, he has a huge extended family and many friends, who are all absolutely devastated.

In spite of all the tough drinking & driving laws, and the warnings pounded into us, this happened, and is going to happen many times this holiday season, to other people's cousins, nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, moms, dads, daughters, sons, and friends. This isn't the first time I've lost someone to a drunk driving accident, and I have a awful feeling in my gut it may not be the last.

So, if you are the one who has had a few too many and are STILL heading out the door with your car keys - if you don't care about losing your licence, or wrecking your car, I hope if you're reading this, you stop for 5 seconds and think about this young boy's mom, who in a few days will be standing by a gravesite watching her oldest child being put in the ground.

If you're the one who's waving goodbye to your drunk buddy who is getting ready to hop in his car and drive home, I hope you stop for 5 seconds and think about this young boy's friend, who had the good fortune to be dropped off at home by the boy before the accident. He will also be at graveside, watching his best friend and cousin being put in the ground.

Many of us have done it. We've been stupid, maybe more than once. If you've ever been guilty of this particular kind of stupidity, make sure that last time was YOUR last time.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, I'm so sorry for your loss. You wrote great words for everyone to read. It would be nice if people didn't drink and drive, but I don't see it happening. And the sense of loss and what could have been-I told my kids never to drink and drive. If they were drinking and didn't have a designated driver to call me and I would pick them up. It only happened once, but I was thankful that they showed some smarts. They all deal with designated drivers now.

This is an awful feeling anytime, but especially in the holiday season. I'm so sorry it happened in your family.
    My kids have permission to do whatever is necessary to avoid driving/drinking. DD, call home, cab, stay at a hotel on our charge, stay where they are at (but please phone) - My husband went through a windshild when we were first dating (PUSH SEAT BELTS TOO!!!!)

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Ajane: so sorry for your loss. My best to your family.

Thank you for this "reminder". I am very very often the DD and take my "job" very seriously, even when I get teased that I'm such a "lightweight/teetotaler" I just respond, "yeah well I'm taking your drunk a@* home, so you just stick that in you pipe and smoke it" I only drink myself if the circumstances are such that there isn't any possible reason that I or anyone else would need to be taken home.

Be careful out there everyone, and think about the people that love you every time you walk out of the door of a bar....
    Could does not mean should

My condolences to you, your husband, and his family, AJane.

This is a very important message, and I hope everyone who reads it takes heed of the gravity of AJane's warning. Drunk driving tragedies are very real, and it's unfortunately very common.

My uncle was killed in a car accident during the holiday season, with Christmas gifts still wrapped in his trunk, when he was only in his 30s. There's not a Christmas that goes by that we don't mourn his loss.

If you choose to drink this holiday season, please think before you get in that car.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Ajay, what a big heart you have to share your personal tragedy with us, so that maybe we'll take pause and think a little bit more. You know I you and I'm around if you need to talk.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

AJane, I'm so very sorry for you and your familiy's loss. It is a very kind act for you to take time out of your grief to pass along this message. Thank you for that. I hope you can all come together and help each other through this tough time.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Fogey
    I'm so sorry about your loss AJane

Please everyone be careful. Make sure you have a designated driver, don't let your friends drive drunk. Two years ago, a group of four 17 year old girls came home from a party drunk. Three of the girls had their heads out of the sunroof and the driver drifted into the other lane, crashing into an oncoming car. Everyone was killed. It was a devastating time for everyone. I was deeply affected even though I didn't know the girls. It affects everyone. Please, think before you get in the car. And please be safe.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's young cousin, AJane. What a sad thing for your family to have to endure.

It blows my mind how many people think they can handle their booze well enough to drive after drinking, and I'm not just talking about teenagers like your husband's cousin. One of Washington's State Supreme Court Justices, Bobbe Bridge, was so wasted after a party one night that she hit a parked car and tried to drive away. I can't remember the person's name, but just a couple of weeks ago there was someone in the Seattle area that was the head of some government commission to prevent drunk driving...charged with drunk driving. Unbelievable. It just goes to show that no matter how smart you are, no matter how much you think you know about your condition, you should never trust your judgment about getting behind the wheel if you've been drinking.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, AJane. Great advice, though. I just pray everyone follows it.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast