+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toys for Tots shopping

Toys for Tots shopping

Christmas time hasn't been a lot of fun lately - the kids are grown up enough that shopping isn't real fun.
    One thing we did several years ago, and I think we are going to do again - and hopefully annually -
    Myself and whoever wants to go with me (usually my daughter) go to the local toy store and buy a couple hundred dollars worth of toys to give to the Toys for Tots collection. Its a good feeling, but also a lot more fun than just giving cash as a donation.
    I miss shopping for little ones, but we just don't have any to shop for these days.
    I don't know why we didn't do it the last few years - well, yes I do - I've been dealing with depression. But, ya know, this is something I do for myself and it does make the holidays a little more fun when you don't have the fun factor built in with kids.

I do the same thing, as well. It's worthwhile, and...what's this in my cold, dead heart? Why, it's a little bit of Christmas joy that's found its way in there.

At this time of year, I also donate to shelters that provide Thanksgiving meals for the homeless, get involved in canned food drives, and write a check to the local animal shelter.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

In my town we also have Toys for Tots and all of that other good stuff but the one that sticks with me is the Literacy Tree. There is a tree at the local mall that has paper cutouts of books with a child's first name, age, sex and reading interests. You buy a book, wrap it and address it to the child. As good as it is for them I think it's better for me. It makes me feel good to give a little bit back. I know it's a very little bit but we all do what we can afford.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

For years I have had the girls pick out a toy each for Toys for Tots. It's a nice thing to do. Plus we always pick out some mittens for the mitten tree.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Duxxy,

That Literacy Tree sounds like a fabulous idea. I'll have to check around here to see if we have it.

I'm such a book geek and love buying them for my brother, SIL, niece, and nephews. I get coupons from Borders all of the time and it KILLS me when there are times that I just can't use them (because I seriously need NOTHING.) At times like that, I should be buying books and setting them aside for a Christmas donation.

MaryKay.. what a great reminder thread. Thank you!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    At my previous employer, we'd "Adopt A Family". We'd have a group of five or so employees, and collect cash from all the employees (50+) who would donate anywhere from $5 to $50. Then we'd have our list of the family with their name, age and size, and what they wanted/needed. We'd go out shopping with the money we had collected and buy, buy, buy. Then the next evening we'd have a little "Christmas Wrapping Party" and go to town on wrapping the gifts -- it was such a great feeling. We'd deliver the truckload of gifts to the family on December 23rd and the looks on their faces were incredible... and the feeling we had in our hearts were priceless.

Great point Jewelsy, my former company used to adopt a family as well, we are talking about people who dont even have a tree little own gifts. The things they asked for were things like clothing, sheet music and bed sheets. If anyone is interested I believe the Salvation Army is where we found our families.

In the throes of cleaning out a closet a few weeks ago, I came across two gifts that were intended for my niece and nephew. On my way to work last week I dropped them off at the local Toys For Tots box.

I always feel good when donating.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

This is something that I feel very strongly about, so I felt compelled to say a few things

When I was growing up, my mother worked at K-mart. They had one of the early "Adopt-a-child" programs. A few days before Christmas, the employees and their families would come in after the store closed and go out into the store to pick out presents for all of the children that hadn't been "adopted". At the time, K-mart had a certain dollar amount (which I forget), which it would donate to each child that was left on the tree. We'd be there until the early hours of the morning, wrapping gifts. By the way, don't wrap the gifts you donate unless you are directed to. If you do, they just get unwrapped so that the charitable organization can make sure you're not giving a child something inappropriate or weird. Being involved in that when I was a kid myself had a big impact on me. Even years when I've struggled with money, I've still adopted a child or family whenever I could.

Something that I do EVERY year (last week, actually), is to clean out my extra clothes and my daughter's extra clothes and toys and donate them to Goodwill. I happened to be dropping off a few coats in December once and the shelves were bare. The clerk told me that some parents had been coming back day after day, hoping that there would be something that they could give their kids for Christmas. I started crying right there in the store and ever since, I've made my donations close to Christmas.

Another good idea is for people who get a ham or turkey from their workplace for the holidays. This occurred in two of my former workplaces, first when I was single and then again before I had my daughter. I go to my mother's house for Thanksgiving and I'm not about to fix an entire ham or turkey for two people. So, whenever I would get one from work, I would take it to a local food pantry or church and donate it instead.

Sometimes I start feeling sorry for myself around the holidays if I don't have the money to buy everything I want to for people or my life isn't going the way I want it to go. I try to remember that for some people, Christmas is a time of year to dread. They can't afford toys for their children, they can't afford to fix the large meals that so many of us take for granted, and some can't even afford a tree. It makes me enjoy my own holiday more if I try to offer as much assistance to those people as I can. It's heartwarming to see that so many others feel the same way.

Happy Holidays to all my fellow FORTers.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2
    Great point Jewelsy, my former company used to adopt a family as well, we are talking about people who dont even have a tree little own gifts. The things they asked for were things like clothing, sheet music and bed sheets. If anyone is interested I believe the Salvation Army is where we found our families.
    Yep, we got our families from The Salvation Army as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast