+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toys for Tots shopping

FORT Fogey
    Along this same line of thought:

I try to give when I can during the holidays. You always hear a lot about donating food and clothing, toys, etc, which is sooo important. But one year, we heard of a family that needed help. They had a bunch of stuff donated--toys, food, the landlord even gave them a break on rent for the month for the kids' sake. What they did not have was a Christmas tree. So we went to a local dollar store (we couldn't afford much ourselves!) and bought a Christmas tree, and canvased everyone we knew to find Christmas ornaments and such that they didn't need anymore. Turns out we came up with quite a nice collection, and the joy that those kids had knowing they would get to put up a tree was priceless. I know there are some local charities that give out trees around here, too, but I had never even thought of the idea before that year. So, if you are getting rid of old artificial trees, decorations, etc, maybe you can find somewhere to donate them to a needy family. It may not be a necessity like food, clothes, etc, but it could sure brighten up a family's holiday!

I always buy a present for one of our local christmas charity appeals. It's promoted by the local TV news and something they are always stressing is that lots of presents are given for little kids but not for teens. Its something to think about!

Another thing I am increasingly doing is dropping change into charity tins beside the till in shops. Small change just clutters up my purse, so I reckon if it all mounts up it could do someone good.

I love the holidays. It's all about giving. Sometimes I even do shopping for the various kids and families before I even finish shopping for my own family. No, I don't have tons of money, but I can get creative with the gift-giving for my family. We all are more into the 'spending time together' than the gift-sharing.

At work, I participate in "Adopt a Family" and basket-giving for a variety of the local shelters. I sponsor an 'Adopt an Angel' from the Salvation Army, and care packages for the troops.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for the Salvation Army. They brought some holiday joy to my little brothers during Christmas way back when all of my brothers/sisters, and I were kids. There was too many of us that my dad couldn't afford to buy us gifts. I think back then only a certain number of kids could qualify to get toys, but I didn't care that I didn't get any. All I cared was seeing the excited faces of my two younger brothers when they opened their gifts from the Salvation Army.

I'm a big time animal lover too, so I support (when I can) the SPCA, Operation Kindness (local animal shelters), and Defenders of the Wildlife all year round.

This thread inspired me to give this year to our local Toys for Tots program. I can't afford very much, but I felt I could afford to buy two toys, one for a boy and one for a girl. We would have spent that money on something frivolous anyway. I feel really good about it! This will definitely become a holiday tradition for my husband and me. Thanks FORT friends for the inspiration!!

Quote Originally Posted by glennajo
    This thread inspired me to give this year to our local Toys for Tots program. I can't afford very much, but I felt I could afford to buy two toys, one for a boy and one for a girl. We would have spent that money on something frivolous anyway. I feel really good about it! This will definitely become a holiday tradition for my husband and me. Thanks FORT friends for the inspiration!!
    Every little bit helps: You're making a difference in the lives of two people. Any bit of good continues to reverberate in the lives of anyone touched by that goodness; we sometimes don't know the long-standing consequences of the kindnesses we perpetrate.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

We bring a toy to our company Christmas party that we donate to a worthy cause. Last year it was a shelter for abused women with children. It's a great feeling knowing you're helping someone who really needs it.

Our church participates in the Christmas Box program. You take a shoebox and fill it with toys and other stuff for a child of a certain sex and age. They send these out all over the world. My Daisy Girl Scout troop did a couple of these this year. They wrote a letter to put in each box. Sometimes the kids write back.

I can't afford much this year, all we can do is drop change in the Salvation Army kettle at the stores...my daughter loves to do this. I am going to try to save this year so we can buy something for Toys for Tots or something off the Angel Tree. I want to teach my daughter that Christmas isn't about getting but giving.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Wolf - I was going to mention Salvation Army's Angel Tree, too. They have the trees up at the grocery store and Walmart and I think a couple of banks and the cable company. I go with my youngest (13) and get an angel. It is a printed angel with a child's first name, age, clothing size and particular need if there is one. We shop for an entire outfit and extras and at least one toy. Then you put the unwrapped presents back under the tree where you got the angel. They wrap and give them. Last year we waited too long and couldn't find any angels left so we called Salvation Army and they tracked one down for us. I saw them out right after Thanksgiving this year, so picked out an angel then. Now we need to do our shopping for her. My daughter really looks forward to this every year and I'm happy to pass on the spirit of giving to her.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Every little bit helps: You're making a difference in the lives of two people. Any bit of good continues to reverberate in the lives of anyone touched by that goodness; we sometimes don't know the long-standing consequences of the kindnesses we perpetrate.
    When we were at the store paying for the toys, the clerk asked me if they were for my kids. I told her no, I didn't have children and that they were for donation. She told me that she had put both of her kids names on the Angel tree so that they would have something to open. She said that you'd be surprised how many kids wake up on Christmas morning and don't have any presents. She said nothing was sadder than kids thinking that they didn't get any presents because Santa forgot them. It was really, really sad. When we were getting ready to leave she said, "God will bless you for this." It touched my heart in a way that I hadn't felt in a long time.

I love that so many of you are teaching your children that it is a good thing to give to others who are less fortunate. It gives me hope for the future, and I hope to some day be able to pass this on to my own children.

we give to different places at christmas.......usually at church we give the shoe boxes filled with toys and combs,toothbrushes etc and then the box is wrapped , which are sent overseas. We also give food to the shelters through the church.
    Then I also donate canned goods every year through my kids school. And I clean out all my closets etc.and donate to Good Will. I usually do this several times a year but I always do it at Christmas......and I make my kids contribute to the box(s) as well. It just feels so good to be able to give back to your community.
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast