+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving: What Are Your Special Family Traditions?

Thanksgiving: What Are Your Special Family Traditions?

Well, with Thanksgiving next week, I've been working on my family's menu, getting everything ready for Thanksgiving day. This includes putting together our family Thanksgiving tradition. So I was just wondering... what does your family do in the way of a special tradition on Thanksgiving?

In our family, after the menu is all planned out, I use my graphics program and create a nice, colorful Thanksgiving Menu, listing everything we'll be having for dinner that day. I try to make it look special, like a nice restaurant special menu, with colorful seasonal images and fancy fonts, the year, etc. Then I print it out on a heavy white greeting cardstock on the color printer. I print only one copy, and then I display the menu a few days before Thanksgiving on the dining room table, with a pen next to it. Sometime between when I place the menu there, and when our Thanksgiving dinner is served, all the members of our family take a few minutes and on the back of the menu, they write what they're most thankful for this year. It can be just a short sentence or longer, whatever they want. Then when we sit down to dinner on Thanksgiving, we take a few minutes and each person reads what they wrote.

After dinner, I laminate the menu with our notes, and place it in a special holiday scrapbook we keep.. taped so that it can be turned to see both our menu that year, and the notes we wrote on it. I love going back and reading those and seeing what we wrote in previous years. Our whole family enjoys rereading them in later years.

So that's our family tradition. Anyone else care to share yours?

And a big Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here, even if you're in a country that doesn't recognize the holiday!
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Wow, Nemeses, that is a great tradition! I have never heard of anyone being so creative or detailed for Thanksgiving before. For most people the day just involves playing games or watching football after feasting on lots of food.

We already have a thread that talks about our Thanksgiving traditions and favorite holiday recipes... I think it's called "Let's Talk Turkey" and it's on page 2 now. I can't believe Turkey Day is less than a week away now. This year has flown by.

First up is olives. I love em and eat them on Thanksgiving. When I was a kid I used to stick olives on every finger and wave at my family members until one of the grown ups told me to not waste food. I never wasted the olives though...I would just eat them off of my fingers, still do. The true indicator that you are officially old is when you no longer stick olives on your fingers.

I bet I am not the only one that still eat em that way, right?
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Nemeses, your beautiful and creative family tradition has nearly intimidated me into not answering your question. You laminate, for the love of Pete!!!

Well, okay, our family's traditions:
    • overeating until we all feel vaguely queasy
    • sitting around semi-comatose on tryptophan
    • someone always starts a huge family fight that begins with loud recriminations and ends with silent bitterness
    • then pie!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Subtle guilt and more guilt.

Premium Member
    Sheesh, I think my family's new Thanksgiving tradition should be to join in on the Nemeses family's meal!!

I think our current family tradition consists of complaining about my step-mother's less-than-adequate cooking skills and everyone (except me, of course, ahem) arguing about everything that has happened over the course of the year since we last gathered.

Good times... good times.

Mine seems to be making sure my father in law doesn't eat til the table's set and everyone's ready to sit down. I'm a stickler for things like that. Throwing the turkey carcass out to the BeagleMutt in the back yard; making my mother's stuffing (isn't that what the whole meal's about anyways?).

Wishing I hadn't eaten so much
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

hold off wanting to kill one another for at laest the night.. that count?
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    Wow, Nemeses, that is a great tradition! I have never heard of anyone being so creative or detailed for Thanksgiving before.
    I think I started doing that to try to cover up for the fact that I'm not the best cook in the world, lol. Diversion tactic, y'know
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Well since all our kids left home our Thanksgiving revolves around menus too. Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, who ever is open.
    Zaaam, only my little finger will fit an olive. But I do really like them. Back when all the kids and in law kids came here for dinner I would open a can of olives and the girls and I would eat one can while I was finishing everything else. Then we'd open a can for the table.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast