+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Players

DVD Players

My BF and i are having allot of trouble with DVD players so i thought i would ask you all what kind of luck you have had with them. Everyone here is nice and everyone seems to offer good advice, so i thought i would see what you all have to say. We do watch ours often, i wonder if anyone has had good luck with any of them lasting a long time. What i am mostly trying to find out is if i buy one that is fairly expensive do you all think that it would last longer then a cheaper one? Are DVD players made like VCR's are now and they are cheap and disposable? i know when i used to buy VCR's they lasted a long long time and now i am lucky if they last a yr. i will say i am buying the cheap DVD players from Walmart, i am thinking of getting one more expensive, but i don't want to if it isn't going to last any longer. A few years ago i decided that the problem we had with VCR's was that we were buying cheap ones, so when all of them went out in our house i went and got one over $230.00 for my room and one that was $99.00 for the kids room (i figured they would end up breaking theirs any way so i wasnt paying too much for it). Theirs lasted just as long as ours did and ours wasn't used as much. i don't want to do the same thing again, so i need some advice on what others have found out about DVD players.
    God grant me the serenity. To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And the wisdom to know the difference.

bjb I have always been of the philosophy "you get what you pay for" when it comes to things like these. We finally came into the 21st century last year and bought our first DVD player. It was a cheapie at a Boxing Day sale and well, we know why it was cheap. The other one we have was more expensive but it came with the home theatre system and the sound is just amazing. You can hear the bullets fly by your head, its just like a mini theatre, I just need to get a better tv to go with it now

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else?
    God grant me the serenity. To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And the wisdom to know the difference.

JR.
    You don't have to buy the most expensive one, a midpriced one from a good company should be fine. I have a Sony that cost about $150, it's been about 4 years now without any problems.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of those "DVD/tv combo units. I'd stick with seperate components.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I have JVC brand TV's VCR's and DVD players. One VCR is fifteen years old, at least. I'm really sold on JVC and Sony. Like Texi, I'd get the separate units. If one thing goes, maybe the other will last a while longer.

Do NOT buy a COBY DVD player. I don't know about anyone else, but MY EXPERIENCE has been pure hell!!!
    Just two nights ago I was up until 4 a.m. trying to figure out WHY I can't see the picture, but only hear it! Then, after getting it to play, there were numerous other things that went wrong that I still, to this day..haven't figured out. It's going in the trash as soon as I get off my lazy ass and go buy a better one.

It wasn't expensive at all either. I think it was around $50.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I am a Sony fan myself, and they are not that expensive. Only trouble is that they are not code-free (which would probably just be a problem for me ) which means I have two: one for European DVD's and one for US DVD's. They both work great, except the remotes work on the same frequency, so you have to really angle the remote just right to only turn one on instead of both.

I have heard HORROR stories on APEX......
    May look nice in design and price but will it LAST? Me think not....

APEX is one of the ones we had. Apex and Norcent neither lasted even 6 months. i looked at an Emerson and Sanyo today. i am trying to decide between them.

Thanks for all the info. i was thinking about an Emerson combo unit, but ya'll are right i think, i shouldnt get a combo unit.

bjb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast