+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Wireless Internet When Traveling

Using Wireless Internet When Traveling

I know this is a real stupid question but here it goes. You have a new lap top ~ it has the ability to go wireless...how do you go wireless? For example, when traveling and staying in a motor home... how do you still have Internet access without the phone line??? PLEASE use layman's terms.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Well, if you're travelling, you need access to a wireless transmitter with internet service. For example, all Starbucks have them. There are websites devoted to tracking wi-fi hotspots.

If you're home, you need a wireless router plugged in to your DSL or cable modem, which will transmit the signal about 250' (depending on the walls in your house and stuff).

Your laptop may be set up to receive wireless, but you still need to be getting a signal somewhere. Some hotels will list this as a perk (or charge you to use it). The newer Starbuck's are being equipped with wireless, but I'm not entirely sure it's free. (When I tried it it was brand new around here, and free, but someone told me they're charging now.)

ETA: What John said.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

If you go to http://www.wifinder.com/ you can search all wi-fi hotspots, and it'll tell you whether they're free or not.

OK, so basically if we are driving between New Mexico and Arizona, I wouldn't be able to ride in the vehicle and surf the web.? What/Which is the best wireless router to buy and how much do these usually cost? Thanks guys and girls for helping!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Any brand will work. It depends on which network your card is. 802.11b or 802.11g (or both). The B is slower than G, but is more widely used - G is pretty new, and not a lot of people are capable of using it, and it's quite a bit more expensive.

I bought my wireless router for about $100 or so, and it's a Microsoft one. There are a ton of them out there, and all do pretty much the same thing without trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    OK, so basically if we are driving between New Mexico and Arizona, I wouldn't be able to ride in the vehicle and surf the web.? What/Which is the best wireless router to buy and how much do these usually cost? Thanks guys and girls for helping!
    No, you would not be able to surf the net while driving. The range is not that far.

I just setup a wireless connection at home using a Linksys that was on sale a CompUA. It was around $79.

Here is a short article about setting up a wireless internet connection.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...home_wifi.html

Okay.... stupid question: if we hook the wireless router up to our DSL or cable modem in the office, we'll be able to access the internet in a bedroom at the same speed?

Hot dayum... I've been envious of Pomeraniac laying on her bed using the web. (running to BestBuy tonight!)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Pretty much. The bandwidth of a WiFi connection is higher than any broadband connection, so if that's all you're going to do it'll be as fast as a wired connection.

Broadway, we've gone wireless in our house. We can sit on our laptops and both be connected at high speed throughout the house.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast