+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using Wireless Internet When Traveling

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    Alright, I think I am beginning to catch on! One last question, if I am using the wi-fi does that mean that the phone line is still available for use for incoming and outgoing calls or will that disrupt the signal? I know that I am definitely getting the wi-fi and a great big THANK YOU to all who answered my silly questions.
    No. The WiFi connection is only between your own computers. Your connection to the Internet is still thru the dial-up, so you will not be able to use the phone for calls.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Hot dayum... I've been envious of Pomeraniac laying on her bed using the web. (running to BestBuy tonight!)
    I can't believe that Broadway posted this on November 16, 2004, and I'm seeing it only today, January 20, 2006, for the very first time!!!

The reason I never saw this before is that I had crummy, old computers that could have never been used wirelessly. Now that I have a snazzy, new laptop that can do just about anything, I'm finally going to set up my wireless router this weekend.

I've been able to lie in bed and post over all these years 'cause I have a phone jack right next to my bed.

I'm really, really excited about going wireless, though, 'cause then I'll be totally free.

GOODBYE, BED – HELLO "THRONE"!!!

I set it up in my mom's house for when my kids visit from boarding school. They can use their laptops, and not be in my mom's office etc. It is great, and we have actually had 4 computers going at once... with good speed. My only other advice would be to set up your own network that only allows your computers to access it. It amazes me when I turn on the computer and surrounding neighbours have not blocked us out.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Too funny this thread is so old...my how technology changes.

Verizon now has a wireless card you can subscribe to and contrary to what was "so 2004" mentioned upthread, , you CAN use it in your laptop while driving (passenger of course!).

Of course, you do lose signal in very remote/mountainous areas, but mostly, it works great on the road.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

avy by martinique ANTM Mega Fan's Avatar
    Well this isn't about using computers when travelling, but it is computer related so I didn't want to make a new thread.

I use mozilla Firefox to get on the internet, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's really weird. It'll be fine one minute, and the next, when I try to get on a site, a message comes up that says "Specifed server cannot be found" even though the spelling and everything is right. Then I can't get on to any site at all. What's even more strange is that the window actually comes up, I put everything in the address bar, and still nothing happens....Any advice would be much appreciated.
    "What it do, Shawty?"-Natasha Galkina

avy by martinique ANTM Mega Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTM Mega Fan View Post
    Well this isn't about using computers when travelling, but it is computer related so I didn't want to make a new thread.

I use mozilla Firefox to get on the internet, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's really weird. It'll be fine one minute, and the next, when I try to get on a site, a message comes up that says "Specifed server cannot be found" even though the spelling and everything is right. Then I can't get on to any site at all. What's even more strange is that the window actually comes up, I put everything in the address bar, and still nothing happens....Any advice would be much appreciated.
    I'm sorry to be obnoxious, but I would be so thankful if someone gave me some advice...Sorry to double post, it's just I have to do all my surfing at libraries and it's somewhat inconvenient getting out to one.

Thanks!
    "What it do, Shawty?"-Natasha Galkina

I wish I could help you but I need the "For Dummies" book most of the time. You could try asking this question in the Computer Help Desk thread.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123