+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Wireless Internet When Traveling

My laptop's wireless connection is marginally slower than my desktop computer, but the difference is pretty much negligible. Sometimes all I have to do is move the laptop a few inches to get the connectivity to go from "very low" to "good."

Okay, you guys are my one bright spot in the day so far. I'm too excited.

(do y'all have any ideas as to how to block out a nasty coworker that blows her nose every 5 minutes??? )
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    (do y'all have any ideas as to how to block out a nasty coworker that blows her nose every 5 minutes??? )
    See my sig line.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Rope. Tree. Some assembly required.

Thanks, all. Perhaps I can incorporate the shovel, rope, AND tree.

Pinata time!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

You people are really helping, Thank You!

One more question. I use a regular dial up connection with my desk top PC. If I get the wi-fi for the lap top... and I use my regular phone line connection for the desk top to connect to the Internet...would my kids be able to also connect to the Internet with the lap top even though I am tying up the phone line with the desk top?
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

You could potentially share that connection, but it would be really slow for both of you, because the dial-up can only send and receive at a certain speed, and if you are sharing that speed, you each get half (roughly).

Alright, I think I am beginning to catch on! One last question, if I am using the wi-fi does that mean that the phone line is still available for use for incoming and outgoing calls or will that disrupt the signal? I know that I am definitely getting the wi-fi and a great big THANK YOU to all who answered my silly questions.

According to ChgoBurbs article I should be able to buy just the wireless adapter, I believe (have to check) that the lap top came with the PCI card. Just have to find if it is a B or G. The lap top is an HP, bought it about 7 months ago.

Now I am going to check and see what Directv has to offer concerning Internet connections. We live in the country so we have either dial up or have to use Directv. No cable companies out here yet. Anyone use Directv for Internet access?
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Okay, you guys are my one bright spot in the day so far. I'm too excited.

You can buy them a bottle of saline nose spray($2 or less withno preservatives) and write a little note that informs them there can be much less nose blowing if they will clear out the schnozz using the saline. It takes a few minutes a day and provides a more enjoyable envoronment for all. Less germs floating in the air. Just place it on their desk when they are away at a meeting/lunch/bathroom break. No confrontation or embarrassment needed. Just a thought.

I sure would like to go wireless. It would help me out lot. Glad to hear about all this interesting technostuff.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    Alright, I think I am beginning to catch on! One last question, if I am using the wi-fi does that mean that the phone line is still available for use for incoming and outgoing calls or will that disrupt the signal? I know that I am definitely getting the wi-fi and a great big THANK YOU to all who answered my silly questions.

Now I am going to check and see what Directv has to offer concerning Internet connections. We live in the country so we have either dial up or have to use Directv. No cable companies out here yet. Anyone use Directv for Internet access?
    I don't know how you could use a phone line with a router. I suppose it would be possible, but very slow. The routers I've seen do not have those types of connections.

I looked up DirectTV ... seems they are out of internet access business and refer you to DSL providers. But they have a link to http://hns.getdway.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast