+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: what do you believe?

Re: what do you believe?

I had a "near-death experience" when I was 17. Back then, nobody even called it that; it would be years before anyone ever coined that phrase! Five days after graduating from high school, I was on my way up to the lake when I lost control of my car, ran off the road into a ditch, and ended up in a small creek with the car on top of me. (This was before seat belt laws, obviously!) From my waist up, I was on the bank of the creek. From my waist down, I was in the water and trapped underneath the car.

While all of this happened in probably a very short span of time, it seemed to take forever for everything to actually play out. Once it was all over, it was serenely quiet.....so very peaceful. I can remember feeling like I was floating and, yes, towards a white light! I could see forms of people circling around this sort of tunnel going towards the light. As all of this was going on, all of a sudden I saw my dad's mother calling me by my name and telling me to go back. She was in her mid-90's when she had died only four months earlier. But she knew me, spoke my name in her lovely Irish lilt, and told me it was not time for me. I had to go back.

Immediately after that, I could feel the wetness of the water, and also hear real-world noises again....like the water running in the creek, birds chirping, and people asking if I was okay as they made their way down the bank to the creek.

Other spooky things have also happened, not just to me. One of my neighbors built a new house about 20 years ago, after splitting their plot of land in half. They lived in the first house until the new house was completed and then moved in to it. One of the first nights in the house, their youngest daughter woke up to see a man standing in her doorway. He just stood there looking at her and then left. She told her parents about him the next morning and they think it might have been someone who could have been buried on the land centuries ago. (Kind of like in Poltergeist!)

One of my friends lived in a haunted house when she was growing up. They had a piano in their living room and often would come home from school and find the chairs from the dining room set around the piano, and sheet music would be on the piano that was not there when they left for school in the morning. Other times, the tv would be on when they returned home from school. This was back when there were only three tv stations (pre-cable) and the tv would have been set to a non-existent channel! They would also hear footsteps on the stairs at night. They were at peace with the ghosts and not afraid of them.

Our summer house is built on property on which an old mill once stood. There is a rock wall from that mill that is still standing and is part of our foundation. The first summer we were up there, I would awaken every night and hear noises outside. Each morning I would ask if anyone else had heard the noises. Of course, no one heard anything....just me! It was like a tapping on the rocks. And I would hear footsteps too. I guess everyone got so tired of me mentioning this day after day. Finally my father said that if I heard the noises again, I was to wake him up and he would go look into it. Sure enough, that night, I heard the noises again. I was so petrified that I couldn't get out of bed. I ended up screaming at the top of my lungs for my dad! (I was 13!) Dad jumped out of bed, ran outside, and of course there was nothing out there. Mom was upset because I had woken up everyone! I never heard the noises after that night though. A few years later, my brother and his friends were up there in the wintertime. After locking up and turning off the lights, they all went into the bedroom to go to sleep. All of a sudden they heard a lot of footsteps, as if someone was running down along side the house. Then they heard the side door open and crash up against the wall. All of the guys were freaked out, as everyone of them had heard it. So they grabbed the only line of defense they could which was the trusty baseball bat. They snuck down the hallway towards the great room. One of the guys was positioned to turn on the lights, the others stood behind my brother with the bat. When the one kid turned on the light, the rest of them jumped out into the great room.....only to see the door perfectly shut, and locked, and nothing was amiss. Needless to say, they did not sleep at all that night. (And I, to this day, still think what they heard was the same sounds I had been hearing years earlier.)

A few years ago, my son and his then girlfriend were going to spend the night up at the lake and they had their dog in tow. All was well until the dog started staring at the door and began to growl. The dog was extremely nervous and fidgety and nothing would calm him down. My son went outside to check things out, but found nothing. But the dog could definitely sense something going on. They packed up quickly and came home. That girlfriend and the dog never went up to the lake again!

Another spooky thing happened to two women I used to work with (at different jobs, at different times in my life). Both of these women's husbands were dying in the hospital from cancer. Both of these women had been at the hospital and came home once visiting hours were over. Both of these woman had made a cup of tea when they got home. Both were at the sinks of their kitchens when the lights above them flickered for only a second. When the lights came back on, both noticed the time. Shortly after, the hospital called them to tell them that their husbands had passed.....at the same time the lights flickered!
    Last edited by MamaC; 09-06-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Ok, some of my random thoughts on some of this stuff...

UFO's (ones from elsewhere, not planet-native vehicles and phenomena)- Probably not. There is almost definitely life elsewhere in the universe-- likely a lot of it-- but I tend to think the Rare Earth hypothesis is probably correct... lots of primitive life (prokaryotes) but anything beyond that is probably pretty rare given the large # of conditions it needs to evolve. Live space travel presents many technological obsticles. However, an advanced civilization could probably colonize the galaxy fairly rapidly using Von Neumann probes rather than live travel, and the fact there is no evidence of it having happened yet seems to imply it hasn't happened. I have seen no real proof to suggest we've been visited, but then, I can't say with certainty it hasn't happened, either. A good read- Amazon.com: If the Universe Is Teeming with Aliens... Where Is Everybody? Fifty Solutions to Fermi's Paradox and the Problem of Extraterrestrial Life: Books: Stephen Webb

Cryptids- Most I'm extremely skeptical of. There are many species we haven't discovered, but if the more famous legendary ones existed there would be some proof/biological footprint. The one I DO think may have something to it is Orang Pendek (google it for a lot of info). Evidence now shows Homo erectus (or a descendent of it, being called Homo floresiensis) existed on the island of Flores until only 14 kya. There are a lot of tales, and some decent evidence, that a similar descendent of H. erectus may still exist in the remote areas of neighboring Sumatra. Basically it would be a short, bipedal hominid closer to an ape than a human in behavior. National Geographic I think was funding an expedition to try to find it-- will be interesting if they do.

Death- It is probably oblivion IMO, but I'm not convinced of it. I'm sort of interested in the theories of the mathematical physicist Tipler who states that a "resurrection" is not only possible, but likely, in the distant future via a perfect emulation of the quantum state of every possible human mind that could have existed. Also, I wonder if the moments of death for many might not be subjectively a very long time for many people-- though some people who have died and been brought back remember nothing or even have negative experiences, many people seem to have had a positive, and very long, experience and lose their fear of death. The perception of time can become very distorted (like when you receive an electrical shock) so perhaps it is a possibility, and who knows, maybe the mind can nearly escape the perception of time altogether. And, Hospice workers claim that the dying often talk to deceased folks and appear to be off in another world many times, so even if it is an illusion, it often seems peaceful, though of course it obviously isn't always. I do-- or at least I try to-- hold faith in something more, and I do pray.

But even if there is nothing, life still has meaning-- whatever meaning we choose to give it; "meaning" being a subjective thing that can vary. Even if in the end everything means nothing. Also, what if WE are doomed, but there is a chance that in the future people can figure out a way to grant near-immortality, perhaps by a means of connecting or uploading our consciousnesses to some sort of network? Even if that chance is there at all, it is worth working towards, for their sakes.

The Universe is now agreed to be expanding indefinitely-- however, it might not be perhaps, and there are also theories to show that life may develop the means at some point to cause it to collapse in on itself, or even create new universes. Though a "Big Crunch" like that doesn't seem to imply the Eternal Return is possible, maybe it is? Also, if the multiverse theories are right, perhaps other universes, including simulated ones, in the near infinity that may exist that could generate other versions of us; though of course it wouldn't really be "you" without your memory in that case.

I admit I love reading about a lot of the stuff that I don't believe in-- it pays to have an open mind and know where others are coming from, and it is fun! I even taught myself to read tarot cards for the fun of it.

MRD

One of the best theories on UFO's comes from my husband. I asked him if there were indeed UFO's why hadn't they made contact and why all the flurry if sightings since the crash in NM in 1947.

His theory: If it is indeed an advanced civilization, they probably have no wish to contact us lowly humans. However, he believes that they do keep an eye on us to see how we are evolving. NM was the site of the development and tesing of the first atomic bombs. If these other civilizations are monitoring us, setting off a few large, destructive bombs could very well have sparked their interest and thus the Roswell incident if they were investigating in NM. Considering the time it would take even for an advanced civilization to travel through space, the testing and bombing of Japan in 1945 and the Roswell incident of 1947 make some sense in the way of timing.

I asked why don't they appear to large numbers of people. It's always some lone person on a deserted road. This is why he said they are interested in observing, but not in making actual contact which is why there have been no mass sightings like one landing in Dodge Stadium in front of 60,000 screaming fans.

I am not sure if I do believe in life on other planets. I'm sure that it could exist. Man tends to believe that we are the superior species both here on earth and elsewhere, but there very well could be life somewhere else. After all, we're seaching for it, so if there is, why wouldn't they be searching as well?

My husband lived in a haunted house in NC while in the Army. He and his roommates experienced footsteps, doors opening and shutting, drawers being pulled out, etc. One of his roommates got fed up and yelled at it to "GET OUT". They heard the footsteps running, the front door slam and then the side of the house was kicked under this guys window. The next day, they found dents in the aluminum siding under the window. They later found out that the landlord's son had committed suicide in the house.

The day before Hurricane Charley hit our area. I walked into the dining room and stopped as I had forgotten something. As I was standing there, I thought my daughter had come into the room and was standing next to me, our shoulders touching. When I turned, no one was there, but I could feel something touching me. I also felt very peaceful and I "heard" my mom's voice say: "you're going to be all right". We were fine. Not even a downed branch in our yard. Our neighbors and friends were not so lucky. But the day before, the storm was still projected to hit about 80 miles North of us. It turned at the last min. and headed in to our area of the state with practically NO warning.

I also "knew" the day my dad died that he was going to die. He had been sick, but was not in "imminent" danger of dying at that moment. He was at my sister's house. I arrived and spent 10 min. with him when he had a massive heart attack. He has since visited me 3 times. Only once have I "heard" his voice and it was about my mom right before she was diagnosed with cancer. He was warning me. Twice a blue feather appeared out of nowhere and followed me around and then disappeared. As we had nothing in the house that had blue feathers, it was strange, but I also "felt" his presence both times and felt very calm and peaceful. We moved not long after and in moving nad cleaning, never found any blue feathers. Blue was his favorite color.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Here's a sampling of my thoughts on the topic . . .
    • "Anything is possible" is not the same as "anything is probable."
    • "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains leak out"
    • When you hear hoofbeats, don't assume it's zebras.
    • When someone says, "What else can it be?", it's usually something else.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2561372;
    Here's a sampling of my thoughts on the topic . . .
    • "Anything is possible" is not the same as "anything is probable."
    • "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains leak out"
    • When you hear hoofbeats, don't assume it's zebras.
    • When someone says, "What else can it be?", it's usually something else.
    Good rules to live by. I think I know a few people that have minds so open their brains did leak out. Like the guy I knew vaguely (through another friend) that believes that vapor trails from planes are really poisen the government is using to, well, um, poisen us.

However I do believe that there is life after death in some form or other or maybe many forms. And I think that extraterrestrial life is possible. But I've heard a LOT of far fetched stories about both that would make me skeptical. But also heard some good sound theories that make me go: "hmmm".

I believe in life after death or at least that loved ones who have passed on can send messages that they are okay. Last year when my mom died we were at the cemetary for her burial. The minister was saying my mom's favorite verses and there were 3 beautiful butterflies flying around her. My mom always loved butterflies and said that if after she dies and we see a butterfly that it would be her letting us know she was okay.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

That's beautiful, shyra. Stories such as your's and MamaC's make my heart sing.

MyRosieDog, that is amazing!! And scary. If I got a visit from anyone other than a family member or close friend, I'd be harmonizing with famita! (especially if the lady in white said, "I am your daughter"!)

When I was about 26, I had a highly unusual dream. It wasn't even like a dream, it was like a "scene". I saw two large ships, from about fifty feet above, in a very turbulent ocean. There was heavy, heavy rain. The two ships were being tossed closer and closer together, until they ultimately collided. A few days later, it happened for real. Then I had a dream that was more like a dream. I was visiting a Zoo, and the polar bears escaped and starting running amok. I hid behind a tree, and saw a boy mauled. Then a polar bear spotted me, and the dream ended when the bear reached me. Shortly thereafter, a boy was mauled by a polar bear at a Zoo (I don't remember which one, though). Then, I had a dream that a body had washed up on the beach. I was at the beach, it was daytime, and rescue workers were bringing this drowned person ashore. I didn't know if it was a man or a woman. When I woke up, I found out that Natalie Wood's body had washed up on Catalina Island.

These three dreams came to me within a three week period of time, and I have never had any other dreams like them since. Though I have had three extremely vivid dreams about the end of the world. Imagery that I have never seen in this world, not even in a movie. It was nothing that could have been pulled out of my mind, conscious or subconscious, and I have a fairly good imagination.

I absolutely believe. In many things. I figure if there life here on Earth, why not somewhere else?

I also believe in spirits. I've seen too many things.

My sister lives in a haunted house. Funny thing is...the only time there is activity is right before something happens. Like when my Grandmother passed or my niece's Grandfather had a heart attack. My sister even has on video an odd scene. They have an igloo cooler with tools that her hubby frequently uses sitting on the wide steps of their basement. It's a small cooler and fits just fine with no edges hanging off the step. In the video, you can see the cooler sliding to the edge of the steps and toppling off...with nobody near it. It was FULL of wrenches, screwdrivers....heavy tools. Also, she's had items move right in front of her...Like closet doors and dresser drawers. She's also seen people and felt the bed move beside her like someone was sitting down. Now...my sister has a freakish imagination, but her whole family has experienced this. Even her non-believing husband.

When I was 17, I got my first apartment. My 1 year old son and I lived there alone and you had to climb a flight of wooden steps outside to get to it. Well....every night I would hear someone climbing the steps in what sounded like work boots..Clomp, clomp, clomp....After a few nights, I finally worked up the nerve to throw open the door to try to catch whoever was doing it. Nobody was there. I even looked over the railing to see if someone had jumped....nobody was there. This went on for two months. I ended up having an old friend move in and for the four months that she was there...we only heard it once. The first night she was there. After that...there was nothing. The first night after she moved into her own place....the clomping was back. I think it was my beloved step-dad checking on me. We were close and he was over-protective. He also passed when I was 14. It just sounded like him, it that makes any sense. Once I came to that realization, it didn't freak me out anymore.

I also have dreams. They are often obscure, but the meaning is always clear later. When I was 11, we had moved to a new house about a mile from our old one. We drove past the old one to get to the small town where we bought our gas for our kitchen range. Anyway, I had a dream that the barn was on fire but it wasn't burning down. There were lots of weird things going on and everyone was freaking out, but the barn just kept shooting flames. We drove past the house about a week after the dream and the house had burned to the ground but the barn was still standing. Very disconcerting to an 11 year old. Let me tell you! I've had others, but they are more personal, so I won't share those.

There have been many other 'happenings', so I have to say...Yes. I believe!

MRD

I have a friend who's grandmother comes to her before something bad happens. Usually a death. I think that would scare me more than just random happenings.

I have such weird dreams. It's like I'm having someone else's dreams as they are never about people or places I know. I'm observing them through my own eyes, but the dreams are like watching a movie almost. Strange. Nothing has ever come true in them. My husband has had dreams come true. Too bad his lottery dream wasn't one of those.

I have had instances where I've known something. I knew my dad was going to die. I often know who is on the phone when it rings (before checking the caller ID) and I have an amazing ability to predict what friends are serving for dinner. That one is just funny/weird, but it happens too often and its become somewhat of a joke. Of course I would be food pyschic as much as I love food.

This has been really interesting hearing these stories. So many people have experiences, but I've found they are reluctant to talk about them because of ridicule, etc. But I've heard and seen too many to completely dismiss them and I find myself more of a believer than before.

Well lopevian, I always thought I'd run screaming like a little girl. But in actuality while I was scared, I didn't react like I always thought I would. I always figured I'd be paralyzed with fear or scream and I didn't. I didn't want to be back in that room though and I couldn't fall back asleep immediately.
    And part of it could be that some inner politeness kept me from doing anything to wake up my friends and their family. If I had been home, I would have no doubt woken up the entire house. I guess being a gracious guest was so drilled into me by my mother that when I did have this experience, even then, I knew to be polite about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789