+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: what do you believe?

Originally posted by Feifer
    Mmmmmm! Oh My! It is getting a little warm in this thread. I am just gonna pop out and rent Bull Durham now. Maybe I will buy it.
    I'll be in line beind you Feifer
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    speaking of ghosts.. do we have one on the board today?? I got the weirdest message..

Warning: Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

LG.
    I was getting the same message, Rox. This is similar we got a message before the "great board crash" of last week, so hopefully it's just do to heavy traffic on the site and not impending doom of the server.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Hm. This is a great thread.

I'll field the aliens part because that's always been an interesting topic for me. I remember Carl Sagan once working out the math of the universe and how many planets there are. The likelihood of our planet being the only one in the universe on which life was generated seems extremely unlikely. I don't imagine any of the other life forms in the universe have visited us, however. The distances involved are so great, I think it's far more likely that, at best, they're sitting on their own world wondering if we exist.

I would not be totally surprised, however, if we aren't visited someday. Seems like all living things have some measure of curiosity. Given enough time and intellect (which actually MAY be unique to our planet, though I still doubt that), somebody might figure out a way to at least send something to our planet. I doubt such an object would be populated by living organisms, but life always seems to find a way so it's likely that something would survive the trip.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Princess
    Paulie, there was an interesting article in some astronomy science magazine a few years ago (and after Carl Sagan had died) about what was required for intelligent life to form (with the hypothesis that it's carbon-based, I believe). It turned out that it's actually really unlikely for this particular environment to form. I wish I could recall the exact details but I didn't even read the article, just had it told to me. As I recall, some of the requirements were: long enough time without major catastrophies (meteors etc), right distance from a "sun", a moon, some huge planets in orbit far outside, etc...
    It seems like the chance is actually pretty slim that there is any other "intelligent" life in the universe, but of course that doesn't mean that there isn't . (And of course these hypothesis of requirements for intelligent life might be all wrong!)

I Want to Believe

(With a nod to Bull Durham and Fox Mulder.)

Maybe I'm a little off-topic, but:

I believe the key to heaven is not goodness but courage.

I believe the only thing truly worth doing to get through this life on Earth is to make the lives of those around us even better.

I believe that any woman can become living dynamite by taking off her glasses and shaking her hair loose from a bun.

I believe God is one being--whether you call Him or Her Allah, Buddha, Jehovah, etc.

I believe God smiles every time a newborn cries for the first time.

I believe that because God made us in His or Her image, and because He or She made Lucifer, we have the seeds of both Heaven and Hell in each of us.

I believe that when you think about a favorite song only to have it play moments later on the car radio, that's a little miracle in itself.

I believe that if there's a long-running show you never, ever watch, and you happen to catch an episode one day, you'll see the EXACT SAME EPISODE the next time you just happen to catch that show on TV.

I believe the most beautiful thing a man and woman can do is dance.

I believe drinking a little alcohol every day prevents heart disease.

I believe what women want men to understand about them is they can be strong but need support, they don't need a wealthy man but they can't afford to be penniless, he doesn't have to look like a Hollywood superstar but he does need to respect and care about himself, they can stand alone but need the love and friendship of a companion, they can be floating on cloud nine one moment and feel low the next--and there doesn't need to be a reason why, they need to laugh and they need to cry, they worry about the future but want you to overlook their pasts, they need to feel virginal and they need to feel seductive, they need to feel respected for their minds but admired for their beauty, they need to feel they're doing some good but make it known they have every right to be bad, they need to feel they're in the right even when they know they're wrong.

I believe there's not a damn bit thing wrong with women in what I just wrote above.

I believe Freud was wrong.

I believe in the Big Bang, and I believe God was there.

I believe we can travel faster than light.

I believe NASA can put a man or woman on Mars.

I believe there's no finer moment than sipping a drink, sitting on a chair and watching the sun go down in a country you can't call your home.

I believe in phoning mom.

I believe in cats.

I believe in the company of a good dog.

I believe in a watch that tells accurate time.

I believe in toasting loved ones who have passed on whenever I raise a glass.

I believe friendship is one of the few things worth pursuing.

I believe in the crack of a bat when it meets the ball for a home run.

I believe in miracles, you sexy thing.

I believe Mona Lisa was smiling, and not suffering from tooth pain.

I believe that IS an UFO behind her.

I believe anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I believe 75 percent of life is just showing up.

I believe when my father was young, he DID walk five miles to school, a movie cost a nickel, and you could take home groceries for everyone in your family for $5.

GREAT post, phat. I don't believe everything you do, but I love the way you expressed yourself. And there are some on that list that I nearly broke my neck nodding about.

And the "EXACT SAME EPISODE" one cracked me up. It's SO true!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar

Re: I Want to Believe

Originally posted by phat32
    I believe there's not a damn bit thing wrong with women in what I just wrote above.
    I believe you're sucking up to the FORT women. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm just bitter that you thought of it first!

Oh, yes. The "episode" comment got me as well.

Paulie:

Hey there. Thanks for the kind words, and glad I made you laugh with the "TV episode" comment. It's something I believed in for a while, and I recently ran across it expressed better than I EVER could have done, in a little-known book known as "American Gods." I'll have to pull the whole quote sometime. I think it would have everyone rolling around.

Wayner:

Hey, man! What it is, another resident of the Boomtown we call San Jo'. So here we are, two ex-pats from the Bay Area, strangers in a strange land. How do you find it living out West but no longer in Cali? I've got my own experiences.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I believe the most beautiful thing a man and woman can do is dance.
    You have obviously NOT seen Hubby and I dance!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread