+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Red Hat Society

The Red Hat Society

I was sitting in my truck at a stop light, when across the street from me were a gaggle of women, all dressed in the brightest RED hats that I had ever seen! If that wasn't enough, they also had on bright PURPLE shawls, coats, sweaters or other purple tops to compliment the outfit.

It was so startling, that the women actually stopped traffic and many car horns later, people woke up and proceeded ahead. I figured that they were part of a singing group and this was their costume.

Then, that same day, I was at a nursery, buying plants, when one of my friends there asked me if I'd ever heard about the "Red Hat Society". (At the time, I didn't make the link between what I'd seen earlier) I said "No", and my friend, Rose, then told me that she had just joined a local chapter and was really excited about going.

This led to me going On-line and finding their site:

http://www.redhatsociety.com/

Apparently, it is a phenomenon that is "Sweeping the Nation". Who knew???

The premise began with that poem that's been kicking around for years, by Jenny Joseph, entitled WARNING!

" When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along the public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick flowers in other people's gardens
    And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    Or only bread and pickle for a week
    And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street
    And set a good example for the children.
    We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
    "

Jenny Joseph

Long story, short: I did a search by zip code for a local membership and lucked out, by finding one in Chicago that had just formed, meaning that EVERYONE was new, and to top it off, it's Trans-gender, open to Les/Bi and Drag Queens!

The first meeting is tonight, where we all get together, with our Red Hats and food, for fun and camaraderie.

I'm pretty excited about going, because when you're self-employed and the boss, you don't get a chance to hang out with your employees. Plus, I only work with men, so some female companionship is sorely missing in my life.

Is there anyone else HERE who is a member?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Heh. One of my girlfriends belongs to a group. She only just turned 50 and was excited to be able to give up her *pink* hat membership and move into the *red* hat.

She apparently loves it, lambi. I'm quite amused that your meeting went so far as to advertise that they're transgender-friendly.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Umm no. I'm allergic to most organized group behavior. I wasn't even in the Brownies or Girl Scout or anything of that sort
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    No, but I saw a lady the other day in the parking lot that had purple and red on and now this makes me wonder....hmmmm, maybe she wasn't so fashion clueless.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Heh. One of my girlfriends belongs to a group. She only just turned 50 and was excited to be able to give up her *pink* hat membership and move into the *red* hat.

She apparently loves it, lambi. I'm quite amused that your meeting went so far as to advertise that they're transgender-friendly.
    I was surprised, too, that they advertised the group as such, but, it really made the difference between my taking a passive back seat to this adventure, vs. actually joining in! I'm going to believe that this group is going to be a little bit wilder than most!

Whenever you're a minority, it's tough to be yourself. This way, I won't have to "hide" the fact of whom my partner is, and I can actually bring her along as a Pink Hat, if she so choses.

I'm pretty pumped by this experience and will give a full blow by blow account when I come back. They already have 20 members, even though this is our first ever meeting!

Texicana: I vacillate about joining "groups", too, but it's pretty lonely for me, at times. I don't have a group at work, like "normal" people that I can do things with: my crew is 100% male and to top it off, they're all Hispanic. Yeah, we'll grab a beer together, or I get invited to a block party, but sometimes, a girl just needs GIRLS to hang with, so in my Male-Dominated job, there are times I just get...lonely.

I have enough girlfriends in real life, but it's hard all getting together for a group activity, like going out to see the Jackie Kennedy exhibit at the Field Museum or seeing the new Bridget Jones movie.
    So, I'll give this a go. Besides, since you've seen my pix, you know I like to play 'dress up' and this just gives me another excuse!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I thought this was all about Linux distributions when I saw the thread title... I've never heard of this kind of Red Hat before. But anything that brings people together in a positive way is a good thing.

The Red Hat Society does seem to be the rage - there's Red Hat items in all the stores around here and in nearly every catalog I've been receiving lately. Everything is included from actual clothing, to mugs, to mouse pads, to purses. Everything! Keep in mind - I live in a small town yet I'm surrounded by this stuff! I think it's great though, and although I'm far from being a member, it makes me actually WANT to be 50+. It sounds like a lot of fun - keep us posted, lambikins!

When I went On-line to check out chapters, I clicked on the Chicago one, vs. Michigan, because I felt that it would give me more options. You do it by opcode and the amount of miles you're willing to travel.

My God, the diversity! There were Red Hat Chapters for cancer survivors, single women, married women with children, just general ones with no specifics and then the one that immediately caught my eye...the les/bi/gay/trans one! It even said, "Drag Queens Welcome!" With 20 of us showing up for the first meeting, there is sure going to be a lot of diversity, and that's just what I crave!

It seems that people are more willing to make time to get together for some "thing": a book club, church group, this society, than they are in their private lives. When I think of the amount of phone calls and calendar checks that I have to go to, to have a dinner party, sometimes the effort hardly seems worth it.

Claire's got soccer practice with the kids.

Misie has to go grocery shopping for the week.

Amanda has a mid-term to study for.

There always seems to be plenty of excuse, nowadays, with everyone's busy-busy lives, and then you suddenly look up...and your life is over.

Unless the meeting gets over at midnight, which it may, I'll post my opinions about it.

By the way, I don't know if there are specific "Pink Hat" societies (for women under the age of 50), but I know that pink hats are encouraged to attend red hat meetings. And as one woman said on the website, she couldn't believe how happy she was to become 50 years old! She could finally trade in her pink hat for a red one! There's so few miles stones left for us to celebrate, that I'm glad that society has formed this sect.

Whether it stands the test of time or not, we'll see.

FORT Fogey
    I have always loved that poem! There is a group of red hat ladies that come into the restaurant where I work from time to time. They always seem to have a blast. My best friend & I joke about joining the group when we get old enough. Lambi, you simply must dish about this after your meeting. It sounds fascinating.

My mon and I often go to lunch on Saturday and see these ladies lunching and having a great time. I don't really care for red, pink and purple together, especially when there's 30 or 40 ladies all decked out, but they really seem to have a blast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast