+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving Blood

I gave blood for the first time when I was in Florida. It went well, even though a lady across from me passed out, just before I was stuck.

But I got a letter from the FBS saying there were some odd results in a test they ran, so I ended up having to go through a round of bloodwork tests, which all came out that nothing was wrong. So, I'm a little freaked out about giving blood now.

An interesting blood donation story -

last year I donated a kidney to one of my best friends. Of course I had to have lots of testing done ahead of time (everything was normal), then had to "bank" some of my own blood in the rare event that I would need a tranfusion (which I did). When I came home from the hospital after our surgery there was a letter waiting stating that I had tested "indeterminate" for HIV! : .

Of course I ran to my doctor and had more tests and everything was fine. I don't have HIV, but for some reason that I don't understand my blood always tests "indeterminate". So from now on I can't donate blood (which is unfortunate because I'm O+)and when I do have blood drawn for any other reason it has to be labeled "BIOHAZARD".

The most disturbing aspect of this for me was that they didn't tell me about this potential problem until after I had given my friend a blood-filled internal organ! What if I DID have HIV?!

In general though, I am all for giving blood. If you haven't ever done it don't be scared - a tiny prick and you get to relax, read magazines and receive free cookies!
    Last edited by MollyRose; 01-25-2003 at 12:48 PM.

Molly, mine was "indeterminate" for hepatitis...And a series of tests found that I was fine, but that alcohol drank up to 3 days before giving blood can cause that test result.

Anyway, expensive donation for me, all around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12