+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veterans/Remembrance Day

FORT Fogey
    Thank you to everyone who has served or is serving right now. I'm so grateful that you risk your lives to keep us safe. Thank you.

I just want to let all the men & women who have served our countries how much I appreciate the sacrafices you have made for my wonderful country, without you who knows where we would be. Thank you.

A very heartfelt thanks to all the veterans, and to those currently serving. Your courage to put your lives on the line so the rest of us don't have to is so inspiring. You are not and will not be forgotten.

Got this in an email today that was sent out to our high school alumni association.

Veteran's Day is one of those occasions that is very important to me. In the United States, Veteran's Day is this Thursday, November 11th (this is also Remembrance Day in Canada). In the early 1970's, Veteran's Day became a "movable" holiday -- the fourth Monday of October. In 1978, at the urging of veteran's groups who realized the sanctity of the date, Congress returned Veteran's Day to November 11th. Please remember that this day is not to honor war, but rather to
    honor the sacrifice made by others for our freedom.

What we call Veteran's Day is the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice in the Forest of Campiegne by the Allies and the Germans in 1918 (the 11th hour of the 11th
    day of the 11th month). This signified the end of World War I and was originally known as Armistice Day. President Woodrow Wilson signed the Congressional Resolution on Nov. 11, 1919, the first Armistice Day.

However, after World War II, the day began to lose meaning and since there were many other veterans to consider, the decision was made to change November 11th to honor all those who fought in American wars. The United States Congress passed an act to change the name to Veteran's Day and in 1954 President Dwight Eisenhower signed the act.

With that in mind, I would like to say "thank you" to all the men and women with whom I served, and to especially remember those who aren't with us anymore. As a former
    Hospital Corpsman, I wish a heartfelt "Semper Fi" to all my Marine friends.

- Tom Ellsworth
    (HM2 USN 1965-69)
    WHAT IS A VETERAN?

(Attributed to a Marine Corps chaplain, Father Denis Edward O'Brian)

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them, a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking. What is a vet?

A vet is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

A vet is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th Parallel.

A vet is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

A vet is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back at all.

A vet is the drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account punks and gang members into marines, airmen, sailors, soldiers and coast guardsmen, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

A vet is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

A vet is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

A vet is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

A vet is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

A vet is an ordinary and yet extraordinary human being, a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

A vet is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more that the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say, "Thank You." That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU".

Just wanted to say Thank You to Lamonte (a FORTer) who left for service not too long ago. In case you get a chance to read this, we haven't forgotten about you
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Remembrance Day, Nov. 11, 2006

Please take a moment to pause and remember all the Canadian soldiers; men and women, who gave their lives for freedom and continue to do so today.
    ---------------------------
    Attachment 18510Attachment 18511Attachment 18512

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, Canadians are asked to pause and remember the thousands of men and women who sacrificed their lives fighting for freedom and democracy during the First World War, the Second World War, the Korean War, the Afghanistan conflict and during peacekeeping missions.

During the First World War, (1914-1918) more than 600,000 soldiers volunteered to go overseas. As of November 2006, Veterans Affairs Canada is aware of three veterans of the First World War who are still alive: P. Dwight Wilson, 105, and Lloyd Clemett and John Babcock, both 106.

These soldiers fought in a series of costly and bloody battles and by the end of the war, more than 69,000 Canadian soldiers had died and 172,000 were wounded...

..During the Second World War, (1939-45) more than one million men and women from Canada and Newfoundland served in combat in the army, air force and navy. More than 47,000 men and women did not come home from that battle.

Canadians lost their lives fighting in Dieppe, Normandy, the North Atlantic, defending Hong Kong, during the liberation of Italy, and in many other important air, sea and land campaigns.

As of March 2006, 219,761 veterans from the Second World War were alive, with an average age of 83.

In Korea, 516 Canadian soldiers died during the 1950-53 conflict, in which 26,791 Canadians served. The battles of Hill 355 and Hill 187, among others, saw Canadians fighting in swamps and rice fields, through torrential rain and snow, in the air and at sea.

In 2003, Canada marked the 50th anniversary of the Korean War Armistice by unveiling the Monument to Canadian Fallen at Confederation Park in Ottawa.

As of March 2006, there are 14,228 living veterans of the Korean War. Their average age is 74.

In 2004, Canada also remembered the 60th anniversary of D-Day and the Battle of Normandy, where Canadian troops suffered 18,444 casualties. Among them, 5021 were killed. Of all the divisions which formed part of the 21 Army Group, none suffered more casualties than the 3rd and 2nd Canadian.

It was a huge sacrifice and a huge factor in turning the tide of the war against Hitler's Germany.

The first Remembrance Day, held in 1919 throughout the Commonwealth, was originally called Armistice Day. The day commemorated the end of the First World War on Monday, November 11, 1918, at 11 a.m.: the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

----------------------------------

The PoppyAttachment 18514

The association between the poppy and war dates back to the Napoleonic wars when a writer saw a field of poppies growing over the graves of fallen soldiers.

During the Battle of Ypres in 1915, Canadian Lt.-Col. John McCrae was inspired to write the poem In Flanders Fields on sighting the poppies growing beside a grave of a close friend who had died in battle.

The poem was a great inspiration in adopting the poppy as the Flower of Remembrance in Canada, France, the U.S, Britain and Commonwealth countries.

The first poppies were distributed in Canada in 1921. Today the volunteer donations from the distribution of millions of poppies is an important source of revenue for the Royal Canadian Legion that goes toward helping ex-servicemen and women buy food, and obtain shelter and medical attention.

--------------------------

In Flanders FieldsAttachment 18513

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

- John McCrae, 1915

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/remembranceday/
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-20-2006 at 03:11 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Happy Veteran's Day 2006!!!!

To all you veteran's reading this and to all current troops:

THANK YOU!!!! Your service to your country is both admired, respected and appreciated!

I am proud to honor my husband, my father, grandfather, great-grandfather, brother, and father-in-law on this special day. And I'm proud to honor other Veteran's on this day as well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Thanks to ALL veterans in America and other countries that have served and protected!

We appreciate your sacrifices, we appreciate your efforts and we appreciate you for serving.

And to our current troops, we applaud you as well!

A big thank you for doing a hard job to all of you both past and presently in the armed forces.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Remembering all our veterans and fallen soldiers.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

To all those who have served...to those who are serving now....and to those who lost their lives.....We honor and support you!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast