+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft. Myers, Fl? Any Tourist Advice?

Ft. Myers, Fl? Any Tourist Advice?

Hey y'all!

I am thinking about coming down to Florida for a long weekend in December with my girlfriend, and I was wondering about what there is to do in the Ft. Myers area. How far is it from Orlando/Disney?? Lots of beaches? Cool places to stay right on the beach? Nightlife?

It would be a short trip--friday eve to Monday, and I think mostly we would want to be lazy and lay on the beach and maybe do some light sightseeing, so any advice would be great!

And what about Tampa?????? We might go there instead.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Sorry I'm not gonna be of too much help MrDob! I'm originally from the east coast and know a good amount about that side of the state, and have been in Orlando for 14 years so I know that really well also....I just don't get over to the west side very often. From Tampa to Orlando though is roughly 2 hours (give or take depending on traffic and the never ending road construction)....all of the attractions stuff is on the southwest side of town so it's maybe a little bit less time to get there, but easily 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Maybe John might have some ideas? He used to live in the Tampa area if I'm not mistaken....

The little bit I do know about the west coast.....Clearwater/St Petersburg have WONDERFUL beaches! Those are where I perfer to take folks when they come down to visit cause they're so much nicer than east coast ones. And there's a lot of nightlife in Tampa at Ybor City, although it's been several years since I've gone there, I always managed to have a great time.
    Last edited by libra1022; 11-10-2004 at 05:20 PM.

Anything helps! Thanks Libs!

There must be some members here from that area of Florida though? Yes? No??

Or some folks that have been there? I am pretty sure we will be going to one of those two places. I just want to know what to do, what to see, recommendations on a good place to stay.

Thanks again!

MrDob... are you just picking Fort Myers on a whim, or was there another reason?

I've been to Fort Myers umpteen times, but predominantly because my uncle used to live there.. and we also have a timeshare just down the beach in Bonita Beach. I would recommend FM/Sanibel Beach as an area to go if you want to go to the beach and relax, but... there's not really a lot to *do* around the area if you're looking to combine beach with sightseeing/fun.

For a two/three day trip I would definitely recommend Tampa and the beaches there. I cannot think of the name of one beach that I went to last October that was just beautiful white sand... but I loved it. There's also great nightlife, as Libs has indicated. Depending upon where you stay (and traffic), you'd be about an hour and a half/2hours from Disney. You do have Busch Gardens in the Tampa area, tho... so that'd be fun.

I've never needed to stay in a hotel there, so I'm no help with that. Sorry.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Thanks, B'way!

I am picking Ft. Myers or Tampa for a sorta silly reason.....1. My fav airline(Frontier) flys to both places, it would be a relatively cheap flight, and the trip would put me in their top level frequent flier program for the year. Free drinks! More Bonus miles! And other freebies too!

But mostly, we are looking for somewhere warm to spend a few days without having to take a week off from work. We want to live the Corona commercials, and just relax while laying in the sun. I'm thinking Tampa sounds more accomodating right now.

That's not a silly reason at all. I've been racking up my Northwest frequent flier miles for the same reason.

I now once again have enough for a first class round trip ticket to Europe in peak season. Now... to use them.

Have a great time, Mrdob!

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I would recommend FM/Sanibel Beach as an area to go if you want to go to the beach and relax, but... there's not really a lot to *do* around the area if you're looking to combine beach with sightseeing/fun.
    I thought Sanibel Island got pretty wrecked with the all the hurricanes? We have relatives in Naples that we stay with & we usually take a day trip to Sanibel when we visit. We've also gone down to Miami, but I'm really not a fan of Miami, but if you are into partying till dawn, then you will like it there.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think Captiva is the one that got destroyed, but I am sure Sanibel did take a big hit, too. Thanks for reminding me.

If I just wanted to relax, I'd do Fort meyers and go out to Sanibel; but that has a lot to do with the fact that I LOVE seashell hunting, and it doesn't get any better than Sanibel! The north end of Sanibel is pretty much in a natural state and good for wildlife-and -bird watching. I'm sure the hurricanes only made the shell hunting better, as it always is after storms of any size. Also the area around Boca Grande, also kind of near Fort Meyers is very laid back, and with great fishing besides. It's much more relaxing than Tampa to me... I don't like Tampa myself although St. Petersburg is ok.Then again most of the places I like bore hell out of everyone else!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks, everybody!

Keep it coming!! I'll take all the advice and recommendations I can get!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast