+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk turkey....

MIA, RIP, or Busy...

Let's talk turkey....

With little more than 2 weeks from Thanksgiving, Christmas is already overshadowing the poor turkeys...... I wanted to find out if anyone has a "mouth watering, must have, wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it" dish they want to talk about and possibly even share a recipe for *hint hint*

For instance, Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without my mom's sweet potato pie or Pecan Praline Pie. Oh and the bread stuffing!

Also, do you have any favorite traditions you always have at Thanksgiving?

This year, I'm doing a Cajun themed menu (with a cajun deep-fried turkey ), so if anyone has some spectacular southern recipes for jambalaya, cajun corn bread dressing, pecan praline sweet potatoes etc. you can PM me
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I love to cook. I don't do it as much as I used to but I make a pretty damn good mouthwatering turkey which I'll be doing this year.

I cook my turkey dark side up so the fat can drip into the white meat. I stuff my bird with apples, raisins and walnuts and a little allspice and garlic rubbed in the cavity.

On the outside, it's melted butter infused in mayonaise with seasoning salt, paprika and pepper. For the first hour I wrap it with cheesecloth so the butter won't burn the skin. After that, baste it every 20 minutes with its natural juices.

With about 20 minutes left to cook, I turn the bird over to brown off the other side skin and !voila!, turkey ala speedbump.

Oh, I forgot: must have green bean casserole and cranberry sauce (not jelly).
    Last edited by speedbump; 11-09-2004 at 02:50 PM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Speedy... you having a party???

Speedbump - do you brine your turkey? It really makes a big difference. I cook mine on a rack, breast side down first, then each side for a bit, then turn breast side up so it all browns nicely.

Giblet pan gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry/red pepper jelly, cornbread-bacon-cheddar muffins (I'll post the recipe when I get home), homemade stuffing, steamed broccoli, mashed rutabagas, cauliflower au gratin, sweet potatoes with maple syrup, pecan pie
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

What is Thanksgiving without Sweet Potatoe Casserole. I love the bread stuffing too.. My mom made it from cornbread, sage, sausage. It was wonderful! I will have to get the recipe from her and post it here for you guys

ADK, excuse my cooking naivity - but what is brine?

Autism Awareness Ribbon greycoatonawitc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkwdood
    isn't it a salt water solution you soak the turkey in? (i could be wrong)

if i don't have an apple pie made for Thanksgiving...i'm not let in the door. I've been told it's the best of the best.
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

Pumpkin Pie

1 unbaked 9 inch (4 cup volume) deep dish pie shell
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large egg whites
    1 can (15 oz) Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin (1-3/4 cups)
    1 can ( 12 fl oz.) Carnation Evaporated Fat Free Milk

Directions:
    Mix Sugar, Cornstarch, Cinnamon, Ginger and salt in small bowl. Beat egg whites lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degree and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. (Do not freeze, as this will cause filling to separate from crust.) Top with Cool Whip. Enjoy!

For 2 shallow pies, subsitute (2) 9 inch (2 cup volume) pie shells. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees, bake for additional 15-20 minutes or until pies test done.

Note: If using a metal or foil pan, bake on preheated heavy duty baking sheet. Do not freeze as this will cause filling to separate from crust.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Ineeda -- I'm no help. I've NEVER cooked a turkey. Cooking + Jewelsy = DISASTER. I remember several years back I baked some type of dessert for Thanksgiving of course, not held at my home and NOBODY beleived *I* had actually baked something and were convinced I had someone else do the baking. After swearing up and down that yes, I BAKED IT, they were afraid to taste it. Finally one brave soul tasted it and announced that it was delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by mkwdood

It IS a salt water solution you "soak" the turkey it. Makes it very juicy and .

I'm a HUGE fan of Cook's Illustrated magazine and their Best Recipe cookbook (a GREAT gift idea for anyone you know who loves to cook, by the way). They do America's Test Kitchen on PBS and test and re-test all variations of a ton of recpies to find out what works/tastes best. Very good results.

I'm posting a link which talks all about turkey preparation/timing/size/safety/links to recipes and information on brining:

http://www.turkeyhelp.com/help.htm

here is the direct link to information on brining:

http://www.turkeyhelp.com/universal_brining_formula.htm
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast