+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Let's talk turkey....

Well, aside from being in a mold, that sounds pretty similar to Grandma's concoction. And she also puts marichino (spelling?) cherries and whipped cream on top. She's one of those people who doesn't give out recipes so there's no telling what all is in there!

( I know -- "orange stuff" certainly doesn't sound very appetizing, but we have no idea what else to call it so "orange stuff" stuck many years ago!)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    Well, aside from being in a mold, that sounds pretty similar to Grandma's concoction. And she also puts marichino (spelling?) cherries and whipped cream on top. She's one of those people who doesn't give out recipes so there's no telling what all is in there!

( I know -- "orange stuff" certainly doesn't sound very appetizing, but we have no idea what else to call it so "orange stuff" stuck many years ago!)
    at the Orange stuff. My mom makes something kind of similar that we call green moldy salad. It is made in a mold with a turkey on the top and it basically is lime jello, whip cream, pineapple and nuts. It is really delicious. We only have it for Thanksgiving and Christmas and my sister and I always look forward to it.

My sister is a dessert-making freak during the holidays. (I say that with utmost love and respect ) When Thanksgiving rolls around she makes at least three desserts, one of which is a double-layer pumpkin pie. It's not an original recipe: in fact she got it from a woman's magazine. Even so, it's just not Thanksgiving without that pie.

Here's my contribution...Sooooooo good. Cranberry Pudding (in the old sense of the word) - Mix 1 1/3 c. flour, 3/4 t. baking powder, 2 t. baking soda, and 1/2 t. salt. Then add 1/2 c. molasses, 1/2 c. hot water, 2 c. cranberries, and 1 c. chopped walnuts. Bake in a covered casserole 50 min. at 325*. Meanwhile make the sauce: In a double boiler...1 c. sugar, 1 stick of butter, 1/2 c. light cream, and 1 t. vanilla. cook for 30 min. until thick. When the pudding comes out, pierce it with a knife and pour the sauce over. You could serve the sauce on the side if people are calorie conscious, but trust me, you want the sauce on it. Yes, it's rich, but that's why you only make it once or twice a year. Try it. You'll thank me.
    Count your blessings!

To all those that mentioned brining the turkey(I'm looking right at you, ADK!), THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I am usually the "chef" for me and my friends on Thanksgiving, and this year was no different. After reading some ideas in here, I looked into brining my turkey for the first time ever. The only problem I had was finding a container big enough to hold my turkey....a 17+ pounder. At the last minute before I left on my trip(we rented a house in the mountains and skied on Thanksgiving, then came back to the house to cook), I decided to get a 5 gallon bucket with a watertight lid, and use that as my container. Anyway, I got a brine solution recipe from cooks, and brined the turkey while I drove to the house about 5 hours away. I cooked the turkey the next day(after allowing the brine to drain away overnight), and it was the best turkey I think I have ever had! Even better than the deep fried turkey I have had before.

So, again, Thanks to all of those that mentioned brining!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this anywhere before, but this year we bought a Kosher organic turkey because my brother read somewhere that due to the process it goes through during kosherization, there's no need to brine it.

It saved us a lot of time and mess, and when we cooked it in the grill, it only took 2 hours to cook and the skin was perfectly crisp and the meat moist and delicious, even the breast. Just a thought to save people the time and trouble of brining--we'd definitely do it again in the upcoming years.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by yardgnome77
    at the Orange stuff. My mom makes something kind of similar that we call green moldy salad. It is made in a mold with a turkey on the top and it basically is lime jello, whip cream, pineapple and nuts. It is really delicious. We only have it for Thanksgiving and Christmas and my sister and I always look forward to it.
    Hope you enjoyed the "Green stuff" this Thanksgiving, yardgnome77! I personally still have a tiny bit left of the "orange stuff" in the fridge, and I'm enjoying every bite! When you only get it twice a year, you have to savor every last drop.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

glad it worked out for your mrdobolina! Your Thanksgiving sounded so picture perfect, with the skiing and all.

Snowflake Girl - you're absolutely right about the kosher bird not needing brining. I love that you do yours on the grill!
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    Hope you enjoyed the "Green stuff" this Thanksgiving, yardgnome77! I personally still have a tiny bit left of the "orange stuff" in the fridge, and I'm enjoying every bite! When you only get it twice a year, you have to savor every last drop.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
    The "green stuff" was excellent as always. I am looking forward to having it at Christmas! I am glad your "orange stuff" was delicious as well. The molded jello salad makes wonderful leftovers, it just gets better every day!

We had this year some "red stuff", made by in-laws neighbors (grand)mother (not sure which). It was delicious, and I asked if in-laws could ask for the recipe once they see her, hopefully it is not a heavily guarded family secret
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345