+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk turkey....

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned deep frying the turkey. My son did that last year at Christmas. It was good.

Unk, read the fine print on my first post ....cajun fried turkey is to die for!!!! I tried it for the first time last year and I couldn't get enough of it. This year, I want to do the whole cajun flavor with some boudin, the jambalaya etc.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

What time we eatin' Ineeda?

A few years my dad and I hosted Thanksgiving dinner. He soaked the turkey in brine and it came out great.

I've tried fried turkey too.

We usually visit my family in S. California. This year we will be having a "smoked" turkey as well as the traditional Tom. One tradition my family has is at the end of the night, my dad will make goodie bags of leftovers for each of the kids to take home. Every year, he slips the turkey neck into someone's bag. Everyone kind of knows its coming but seems to forget about it until they get home at the end of the night.

My favorite foods of the day....my sisters sweet potatoes with marshmallows and freshly made cranberry sauce.....yummmmmmm.

As promised (these are mouth-watering-ly (?) yummy )
    (from Cook's Illustrated / America's Test Kitchen)

Bacon-Scallion Corn Muffins with Cheddar Cheese
    Because these muffins contain bacon, store leftovers in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic. Bring them to room temperature or re-warm the muffins before serving.

1. Grate 8 ounces cheddar cheese (you should have 2 cups); set aside. Fry 3 slices bacon (about 3 ounces), cut into -inch pieces, in a small skillet over medium heat until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add 10 to 12 medium scallions, sliced thin (about 1 cups), teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper; cook to heat through, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a plate to cool while making the muffins.
    2. Follow the recipe for Corn Muffins, reducing the sugar to cup. Stir 1 cups grated cheddar cheese and bacon/scallion mixture into the wet ingredients, then add to the dry ingredients and combine. Before baking, sprinkle a portion of additional cup cheddar over each mound of batter.

Corn Muffins
    Makes 12 muffins

Whole-grain cornmeal has a fuller flavor than regular cornmeal milled from degerminated corn. To determine what kind of cornmeal a package contains, look closely at the label.

2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 cup (4 ounces) fine-ground, whole-grain yellow cornmeal
    1 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    cup (5 ounces) sugar
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    cup sour cream
    cup milk

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a standard muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
    2. Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to combine; set aside. Whisk the eggs in a second medium bowl until well combined and light-colored, about 20 seconds. Add the sugar to the eggs; whisk vigorously until thick and homogenous, about 30 seconds; add the melted butter in 3 additions, whisking to combine after each addition. Add half the sour cream and half the milk and whisk to combine; whisk in the remaining sour cream and milk until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix gently with a rubber spatula until the batter is just combined and evenly moistened. Do not over-mix. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, divide the batter evenly among muffin cups, dropping it to form mounds. Do not level or flatten the surface of the mounds.
    3. Bake until the muffins are light golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean, about 18 minutes, rotating the muffin tin from front to back halfway through the baking time. Cool the muffins in the tin for 5 minutes; invert the muffins onto a wire rack, stand the muffins upright, cool 5 minutes longer, and serve warm.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

We usually have turkey and all the trimmings at my parents house but this year I'm cooking.........so I may need to check here daily for suggestions on cooking mr. tom......smile
    we also have green been casserole......, stuffing, strawberry jello delight,
    pumpkin pie and cranberries, sweet potato's with lots of marshmellos, and regular mashed potatoes too.
    The kids or grandkids usually fight over who gets to pull on the wishbone.smile

ADK that muffin recipe is making me hungry.........
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

We're having Thamksgiving here at our house this year...with all the family. It's a lot of fun, because our kitchen is huge, and can easily seat everyone..20 people, possibly.
    I swear by the turkey roasting bags. The turkey cooks so tenderly, and moist.
    We also have plenty of dressing, corn casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, rolls and all kinds of pies.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Zaaam
    I have a question...How do you baste the turkey if it is in an oven bag?
    Maybe someone mentioned this, but my eyes skipped over it:
    I usually cover the turkey with bacon. Keeps it moist and gives wonderful flavor, especially good for "oven bag cooking". Edit: I add spices first, but then cover with generous layer of bacon. (And the bacon ends up tasty too, kids especially love it)
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 11-12-2004 at 03:34 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Well, I'm definitely not a cook so the only thing I'm expected to bring every year are pies (all frozen and baked in the oven by yours truly of course!)

Two items stand out for me that I look forward to every year at Thxgiving:
    (1) Mom's homemade rolls. They are big, light, fluffy, and melt in your mouth
    (2) Grandma's "orange stuff." Not sure what all is in it, but it's some sort of cold jello dish that's orange in color so it's always been affectionately referred to as "orange stuff"

Of course, the rest of the food is good too, but those two things right there are foods I couldn't get anywhere else, so I'm particularly fond of them.

at the "orange stuff". We have that when my mom holds Thanksgiving dinner, too (although usually my siblings go our separate ways - to in-laws, to do the holiday obligation thing and not feel guilty, because my mom gets Christmas)

Her orange stuff is usually molded into a ring (but not always) and contains one or more of the following: orange jello, cottage cheese, mandarin orange slices....and... - no one is quite sure. Everyone seems to like it ok though
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast