+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk turkey....

The only thing I'm required to bring for Thankgiving dinner is Green Bean Casserole. (I know you all know what that is)

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    NOBODY beleived *I* had actually baked something and were convinced I had someone else do the baking. After swearing up and down that yes, I BAKED IT, they were afraid to taste it. Finally one brave soul tasted it and announced that it was delicious.

Jewelsy... Speedy-my mouth is watering just reading about your turkey.

So, here's another question...if there are foods we love to eat during the holiday, then why the heck don't we eat them at other times of the year? I have never been able to explain this to myself.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

For a few years now i have cooked my turkey in a roasting bag because it turns out juicier but i think this year i might try cooking it darkside up like a couple people here meantioned. i have never tried that. i could not stand turkey until i tried cooking it in the roasting bag because i hate dry meat. i tried cooking turkey my first few years after getting married and i never could get it right , it was not cooked all the way the first year and the next two it was too dry after that i gave up and let my mother in law cook, lol. After i got divorced i had to learn how to do it on my own and some cooking show used the roasting bag so i tried it and it was good and juicy so i have done that ever since. This year i will try again without the bag and see what happens.

bjb

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    Jewelsy... Speedy-my mouth is watering just reading about your turkey.

So, here's another question...if there are foods we love to eat during the holiday, then why the heck don't we eat them at other times of the year? I have never been able to explain this to myself.
    I do roast a turkey every now and then, it's great for a single person to cut up and save in the freezer! I also occasionally make cornbread dressing (we haVe it made in a pan here in GA s well as stuffing the turkey with it!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Ineedarecipe... I have a great pumpkin roll recipe that's to die for. I'll have to find it and post it.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Last year I supplied the turkey & a friend fried it as one of the several he was doing that day. (Once you get all that peanut oil going, there's no use just doing one turkey.) I'm hoping to get one fried again this year, but if not, we'll just shoot the bird up and roast it instead of frying it. (You all know what I mean, right? You've got to inject the cajun spice mixture with a big needle.) I pretty much detest turkey, but I like it o.k. fried. The upside is the leftovers, which make a fantastic gumbo.

But the real tradition lately (the last 8 years or so) has been the sweet potatoes. We get about 25 pounds from the LSU Ag department (they do a sale each year) and send about half of those to deprived relatives in the north & on the west coast who don't have a direct line to the secret stash of locally grown sweet potatoes. Then I make the sweet potato pie for turkey day. Sometimes I make the cranberries, just depends who gets to it first. Mom still does the rest, which is good because I'm hopeless at making gravy. I'm also in charge of getting the wine too. Really, that's all ya need...sweet potato pie & some good wine...

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    Speedbump - do you brine your turkey? It really makes a big difference. I cook mine on a rack, breast side down first, then each side for a bit, then turn breast side up so it all browns nicely.

Giblet pan gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry/red pepper jelly, cornbread-bacon-cheddar muffins (I'll post the recipe when I get home), homemade stuffing, steamed broccoli, mashed rutabagas, cauliflower au gratin, sweet potatoes with maple syrup, pecan pie
    Those muffins sound wonderful...please post the recipe. I have wanted a different bread this year and that sounds like the ticket!!

Yes please post the recipe, they sound yummy. i would like to try threm also.

bjb

OK, last year I got a cooking tip that said to cook your turkey upside down...
    I was all gun ho ready to experiment with our turkey and ...what a mess!
    All the stuffing fell out and big birds are not so flip-able. This year I will stick to the missionary position ( on back, legs up, )
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    It IS a salt water solution you "soak" the turkey it. Makes it very juicy and .

I'm a HUGE fan of Cook's Illustrated magazine and their Best Recipe cookbook (a GREAT gift idea for anyone you know who loves to cook, by the way). They do America's Test Kitchen on PBS and test and re-test all variations of a ton of recpies to find out what works/tastes best. Very good results.

I'm posting a link which talks all about turkey preparation/timing/size/safety/links to recipes and information on brining:

http://www.turkeyhelp.com/help.htm

here is the direct link to information on brining:

http://www.turkeyhelp.com/universal_brining_formula.htm
    ADK, brining is the way to go and Cook's Illustrated ROCKS!

I have a question though. This year my brother said we should get a kosher turkey because with after the process of "kosherization" (I don't know what to call it ) there is no need to brine, plus they are organic. Does anybody else buy kosher turkeys or know if this is true?

Also, we're going to put the turkey in the barbecue grill this year. It's supposed to be faster than cooking in the oven, and keeps it moist as well.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast