+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Turducken

Re: Turducken

If I tried to debone it myself I would end up with shredded turducken.

So I finally got one at walmart yesterday. Its frozen solid so I can't get a real good look at it but the top looks like its split down the middle. It was only $27. The only thing I'm worried about is that it has creole seasoning and a pork rice mixture. Not sure how I'm going to like that. It also has a cornbread dressing. This should be interesting. I can't wait.

Oh what a catastrophe. First of all three days in the fridge wasn't enough to defrost it completely. The box said to cook at 350 for 4 to 4 1/2 hours, since someone told me that most people overcook the turducken I decided I only needed 4hrs. When I pulled it out of the fridge I realised it was still frozen and I started to panic. An hour after putting it in the oven it didn't look like it was getting anywhere so I turned the oven up. I kept repeating this process. Finally we're a half hour into the party, I've got the oven up to 500, and its still not done. We ate all the other food while waiting on the turducken and when the internal temp finally reached 165 the bird was really overcooked. It smelled delicious but looked absolutely gross. I am difinatly a "dressing out" kind of person and just looking at the pork rice and what looked like underdone cornbread dressing made me sick. The turkey was completely dried out, the little bit of duck that I could make out tasted good but I think by this time I was so full from the appitizers that I couldn't bring myself to chew and swallow. I had to spit it out. I had really been looking forward to trying the duck so I hated it turned out like that. If there was a chicken in there it was one freakin small chicken because I never did make out anything after the turkey and the duck.

Basically I ruined it because I didn't allow enough time to cook it at the proper temperature. I kept it in the box in the fridge while defrosting and it probably would have defrosted completely if I had taken it out of the box.
    I really didn't like the rice or dressing that came in it. I'd like to try another one and cook it properly but I would also like to find one with just the meat and seasoning and no stuffing.

MRD

I'm sorry your experience was not a good one. I'd still love to try it.

As a HUGE fan of in the bird cornbread stuffing, I think I would really like it.

I've had duck before and its not too bad. I used to ALWAYS order pressed duck at this one chinese restaurant my parents used to take me to when I was a kid. It was delicious.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've had orange duck, which is fantastic! I find turkey a rather boring meat, and am not nearly as in love with it as a lot of people are. Ho-hum.

I'd love to try turducken! What's not to like about it? These are meats that you would usually have no complaints about if you ate them separately. But, then again, I also have a fairly adventurous palate. I love trying new things! I was never a picky eater, as a child, and I didn't allow picky eating in my house when my son was small. That was a battle that I was not going to engage in. He learned to either fix his own, eat what was there, or do without...and he didn't do without!

I think foods get a bad rap because of how they were prepared; the preparer didn't know what they were doing. Sam's Club was selling turdukens through mail order this year, and they sold out quickly....I want to say in October or early November.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2723701;
    I think foods get a bad rap because of how they were prepared; the preparer didn't know what they were doing.
    That is what happend in my case. I am going to try it again and I would encourage anyone who is interested to try it, just learn from my mistakes. (I don't feel to bad about ruining it since I only paid $27 for it and not $75.)

I too have an adventurous palate. I'll try just about anything. The thing that will make me go blah is the texture. The bit of duck that I got was a little gristly and chewy. I couldn't bring myself to keep chewing or swollow. It did have a good taste though. I am going to try duck again, only I'll wait until someone with more experience makes it for me.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2723895;
    That is what happend in my case. I am going to try it again and I would encourage anyone who is interested to try it, just learn from my mistakes. (I don't feel to bad about ruining it since I only paid $27 for it and not $75.)

I too have an adventurous palate. I'll try just about anything. The thing that will make me go blah is the texture. The bit of duck that I got was a little gristly and chewy. I couldn't bring myself to keep chewing or swollow. It did have a good taste though. I am going to try duck again, only I'll wait until someone with more experience makes it for me.
    duck is one of those dishes that if prepared well is very good. But not prepared well can be tough and greasy. I've had it both ways, I prefer the better prepared ones.

The thing about duck and goose is that it is mostly dark meat, even the breast meat. As ducks and geese fly, they have more muscle than a farm raised turkey. I have no clue if duck or geese are "farm raised" or not to keep them from flying and "toughening" up the meat or not. Maybe someone else that knows more about them can answer that.

Pressed duck, Peking duck and orange duck at good Chinese restaurants is fabulous though.

MRD

Hubby has always wanted to try one of these, so I was mentioning this discussion to him and that we should go look at Walmart to see if they had any left and he says (cheapskate that he is). "well $27 is a lot to pay".
    When I mentioned that they have usually been $75 and that compared to that $27 was a bargain, he didn't think the price was so bad.

We're actually going to be having company the weekend after Christmas, so since it will just be 3 of us on Christmas, I may look into this for the weekend after. Maybe I'll feed him meatloaf Christmas day, so we can afford the very expensive (insert sarcasm here) $27 Turducken.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2724014;
    Maybe I'll feed him meatloaf Christmas day,
    Been there, done that. Went to the store early Christmas Eve morning (4 a.m. before going to work.) I know I picked up a ham and put it in the cart. Went home and just threw the bags in the fridge without unpacking them. When I got home from work I got to cleaning and straightening things up. Decided later to prep the ham and stuff for the next day. By this time the stores were all closed. I look in the bag and no ham. I was pissed. I thought maybe it was still in the car which was no big deal as it still would have been cold. Check the car and no ham. Now I'm freaking and getting really pissed at Meijer's. I checked my receipt and I was never charged for a ham. To this day I have no idea what happened to that ham. Ground beef was the only meat I had in the house so I had meatloaf for Christmas dinner. My buddy that I had invited over still tells this story to this day.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2724060;
    Been there, done that. Went to the store early Christmas Eve morning (4 a.m. before going to work.) I know I picked up a ham and put it in the cart. Went home and just threw the bags in the fridge without unpacking them. When I got home from work I got to cleaning and straightening things up. Decided later to prep the ham and stuff for the next day. By this time the stores were all closed. I look in the bag and no ham. I was pissed. I thought maybe it was still in the car which was no big deal as it still would have been cold. Check the car and no ham. Now I'm freaking and getting really pissed at Meijer's. I checked my receipt and I was never charged for a ham. To this day I have no idea what happened to that ham. Ground beef was the only meat I had in the house so I had meatloaf for Christmas dinner. My buddy that I had invited over still tells this story to this day.
    Oh, Unk, I hate when that happens, but to happen on Christmas has to REALLY be horrible. I guess Meatloaf was better than going out for Chinese (a la A Christmas Story) ???

But it was a memorable Christmas dinner though huh?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456