+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cold Weather Food?

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Why am I afraid to see that?
    Oh c'mon... he's a cutie. Attached with him is this little turkey puppet that I got there as well, but for some reason the camera is messing with his color. He's a bright orange/gold color and made out of a chenille type fabric.

Well... looking at these pics it would appear that it's time to replace my digital camera. These look like crap, but you get the gist.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

My favorite cold weather foods are my homemade potato soup, stew, and chili with grated jalapeno jack cheese.

What's chow-chow?
    Count your blessings!

Chow-Chow, a sweet, pickled relish traditionally made in the south, utilizes vegetables left over at the end of the summer's harvest. Consisting mainly of chopped tomatoes, cabbage, bell peppers, hot peppers, a variety of spices, and vinegar, and using a boiling water bath process, the chow-chow is canned and used during the ensuing year as a condiment.

In the south, chow-chow is eaten mainly with Pinto beans, Black-eye peas, and greens. But, it also goes great on hot dogs, bologna sandwiches, ham sandwiches, and hamburgers, as well. Some industrious folks even put it in tuna and egg salad to liven it up.

FORT Fogey
    Hot beef sandwiches and french fries smothered in gravy.

And Wendy's chili.

Quote Originally Posted by Catt
    In the south, chow-chow is eaten mainly with Pinto beans, Black-eye peas, and greens. But, it also goes great on hot dogs, bologna sandwiches, ham sandwiches, and hamburgers, as well. Some industrious folks even put it in tuna and egg salad to liven it up.
    Thanks for clearing that up. In AL, chow-chow is served as a side to Full Moon Barbecue, and I could never figure out whether I was supposed to eat it as a side or put it in the barbecue meat.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Oh c'mon... he's a cutie. Attached with him is this little turkey puppet that I got there as well, but for some reason the camera is messing with his color. He's a bright orange/gold color and made out of a chenille type fabric.

Well... looking at these pics it would appear that it's time to replace my digital camera. These look like crap, but you get the gist.
    It's funny, I've got a turkey baster, a turkey roasting pan, a turkey platter ... but no turkey puppet. What was I thinking?!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Catt
    Chow-Chow, a sweet, pickled relish traditionally made in the south, utilizes vegetables left over at the end of the summer's harvest. Consisting mainly of chopped tomatoes, cabbage, bell peppers, hot peppers, a variety of spices, and vinegar, and using a boiling water bath process, the chow-chow is canned and used during the ensuing year as a condiment.

As a California girl, I've never even heard of Chow-Chow, but I'll tell you right now, that sounds like good stuff to me.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Okay, all you fresh bread people: How do I get in on this? I would love fresh bread, too. Do you have a bread-making machine, or do you bake in the oven? And if you bake in the oven, will anyone share a recipe?
    Phat, m'dear....my solution to fresh bread (if I'm not at work)....Panera Bread. Speedy mentioned their french onion soup in a bread bown OH YEAH, that's some good eatin right there! MMM MMM MMM! All their stuff is really good and made fresh every day, my personal favorites are the asaigo loaf and sourdough breads.

Your other option is to come and visit and I'll hook ya up with some fresh hot bread from my bakery (every day between 5-7am and 4-7pm) I don't bake at home at all, not after doing my share at work daily.

Jay
    A huge slab of meat loaf with a ladle of mashed potatoes topped with a couple of pats of butter. To save time, before starting to eat, call the paramedics and ask them to bring the defibrillator.

+ Reply to Thread