+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cold Weather Food?

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Beans and cornbread with chow chow.
    Interesting. That's two votes now for beans and cornbread, and both from the home of Big Orange. That's not a combination I'm familiar with in AL.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I see Star lurking up there. C'mon and join in with some good ol' southern dishes girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    C'mon and join in with some good ol' southern dishes girlfriend.
    I'm not as pretty as Stargazer, but let's see what I can do.

Last year for Thankgiving, J. and I hosted my parents from California and my brother, a full-fledged Yankee from Boston.

We did the full eating tour of Birmingham: Golden Rule barbecue, breakfast at Chik-fil-A and Cracker Barrel and a Southern Thanksgiving dinner (with green bean casserole and sweet potato pie).

They were crazy for the barbecue and the biscuits from both Chik-fil-A and Cracker Barrel.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    ...They were crazy for the barbecue and the biscuits from both Chik-fil-A and Cracker Barrel.
    Oh.my.God. I LOVE the Cracker Barrel. It's my absolute favorite place to eat. Love the cornbread more than the biscuits, and those sweet vidalia onions they serve. The black eye peas are excellent. And when you get through eating you can shop. It doesn't get any better than that!

I used to work at a Cracker Barrel. I even still have two aprons with my name across the front, and the one star I earned before I quit.
    Their food is good southern cooking, though.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

French onion soup in a bread bowl from Panera Bread. I like my soups and stews in bread bowls.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    We have that up here, but never heard of it in TN. What I'm talking about is just a big ol' pot of Great Northern or Navy beans with a ham/hambone for seasoning, maybe with some shredded carrots. It's a good southern staple served as a side dish or a main meal.
    Mmmmmm i was just thinking my next day off i should make a big pot of great northern beans and a pan of corn bread. i like them best seasoned with some ham. i have not made a pot of beans yet this season, but i have made chili and corn bread.

bjb

ps i love southern cookin', it is one of the things i miss about living in the south. Here i only get it if i cook it. i definately do not miss the heat though...
    Last edited by blue jean baby; 11-06-2004 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blue jean baby
    Mmmmmm i was just thinking my next day off i should make a big pot of great northern beans and a pan of corn bread. i like them best seasoned with some ham. i have not made a pot of beans yet this season, but i have made chili and corn bread.
    I'm making navy beans and cornbread tomorrow. Think I'll make some turnip greens to go along with them.

White chili? I call that stew. I refuse to even try the Cincinnati style 'chili' that's all the rage in the midwest. Where's that snob thread when I need it???
    Last edited by Texicana; 11-06-2004 at 10:36 PM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Even though i lived in the south most of my life i never did get into the greens. i like beet greens (i think because they are sweeter then the rest) i can not stand bitter greens. i can remember my mother the first time my step father told her that they eat the greens, i am sure she looked at him like he had lost his mind. She is a northerner and she sure was not into eating the greens, lol.

The whole time i was married we had to have black eyed peas, corn bread and greens on New Years. i can not stand any of the greens that we had to eat, to me they are just ewwwww so imagine me trying to talk my boys into eating greens just because my mother in law said we HAD to eat them. i was sooooooo happy when i moved north and found out they do not eat black eyed peas and greens on new years. That was one tradition i had no trouble dropping...

bjb

+ Reply to Thread