+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Cold Weather Food?

My own Texas chili is what I made today, and I also like my mother in law's chicken and dumplings, cos she makes the dumplings small, no one huge gummy doughball . I also like red beans and rice for nippy weather.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Okay, all you fresh bread people: How do I get in on this? I would love fresh bread, too. Do you have a bread-making machine, or do you bake in the oven? And if you bake in the oven, will anyone share a recipe?
    Silly boy. I go to a restuarant that promises fresh bread.

Like virtually all of you, apparently, I also like chili or hot soup on a cold day. Or spaghetti with a good, meaty, sauce. Or macaroni and cheese.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Being the good southern boy that I am I like a big ol' bowl of white beans and cornbread on a cold day. Lucy, you know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Being the good southern boy that I am I like a big ol' bowl of white beans and cornbread on a cold day. Lucy, you know what I'm talking about.
    J. calls that "white chili" and likes to add turkey. In TN, did you ever hear the term "white chili"?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

We have that up here, but never heard of it in TN. What I'm talking about is just a big ol' pot of Great Northern or Navy beans with a ham/hambone for seasoning, maybe with some shredded carrots. It's a good southern staple served as a side dish or a main meal.

UnkleScott, do you still eat Hoppin' John on New Year's? J. doesn't feel right without it. She's as superstitious about that as I am about wheat noodles with a little soy sauce on Asian New Year's.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I love soup and homemade bread.

Yep I can make it from scratch

I will get my reciepe and post it here if you want it.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    UnkleScott, do you still eat Hoppin' John on New Year's? J. doesn't feel right without it. She's as superstitious about that as I am about wheat noodles with a little soy sauce on Asian New Year's.
    Not Hoppin' John exactly as that includes rice but just a pot of Black-eye peas with some hamhocks and various seasonings We had a thread on New Years traditional meals. It's buried in the archives somewhere. Ribs and kraut was another one.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvsAHarlemm
    I will get my reciepe and post it here if you want it.
    Would love to see it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Silly boy. I go to a restuarant that promises fresh bread.
    Shazzer and I were just discussing this the other night, and my feeling was that there is possibly nothing better (and no greater sin) than real butter with fresh bread. And I mean real butter, not that corn oil garbage.

And I don't need that fancy schmancy "flavored" butter that comes in little sculptures in icy silver trays at ooh-la-la restaurants. Give me those tiny little pats of butter that comes between two little slips of paper any day!

I know cheese is a big deal on this board, but let's hear it for butter!

Beans and cornbread with chow chow. Or bean soup. I also have a recipe for chicken gumbo soup which I made today since it's cool here. It was delicious. I also like beef stew with a rich brown gravy and hot biscuits.
    Thanks to clipse I am now off to make pop corn.

+ Reply to Thread