+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Thanksgiving is already over if you're in Canada. Is it OK for us to start caroling?

I've already finished shopping for gifts for my kids. We have a fabulous arts and crafts fair here (I'm in Saskatchewan, btw, CB :santawave) and I can finish up there.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I have this friend who leaves her tree up, lights, everthying all year round as she says it cheers her up. Strange, in mid-summer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I have this friend who leaves her tree up, lights, everthying all year round as she says it cheers her up. Strange, in mid-summer, though.
    I know people who do that and use "cheery" as their excuse, but I personally think it's just plain laziness!

I am so happy to see that there are others out there who want to wait and enjoy Christmas after Thanksgiving. I really thought there would be very few people in that category. Unk, I just LOVE your Scroogey cat! Very cute!

Since we're on the Christmas topic, perhaps we can have a quick and fun poll?
    1. Real tree or artificial?
    2. Shop early or last minute?
    3. Are you a fan of eggnog?
    4. Decorate outside AND inside of the house?
    Of course, you don't have to respond until AFTER Thanksgiving!

OK - I'm in.

1. Real tree. Love the smell / needles be d@mned. Em and I go tree-hunting, cut it down, and drag it back, cartop it and sing carols all the way home.
    2. Shop early (starting AFTER thanksgiving, usually done on-line before mid-December. Is that early?)
    3. Eggnog. Mmmm - eggnog. Little nutmeg, cinnamon, plenty of SoCo, and a little Bailey's for kicks.
    4. Inside - Dept. 56 Christmas village placed on various tables, mantle, shelves through-out. All lit up, every night. Evergreen garland strung with white lights on the banisters. White poinsettias. Snowman/snowflake-themed Christmas tree with blue and white lights and snowman, blue, white and crystal ornaments. Outside - Blue rope lights around the top of my wrap-around porch, white lights intertwined with evergreen boughs/garland up the porch posts, around the railings, and outlining the doors (front and back). Large white-light snowflake near the front door. Huge (5 foot) white snowflake on the front of the loft door on the barn.

Sigh. I can't wait to put them all up again. But, I WILL refrain until after Thanksgiving. (Actually that weekend is when I usually set out the lights, but I do not LIGHT them until Dec. 1)

Too much information?
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

1. Real tree or artificial? Artificial. It's what I grew up with.

2. Shop early or last minute? Last minute. Usually a trip to Meijers at 3am sometime between December 15th and Christmas Eve.

3. Are you a fan of eggnog? Never had it.

4. Decorate outside AND inside of the house? On a good year, the tree gets put up and decorated. Nothing outside. I live alone and very rarely have company, so I don't see the point of going all out on the decorating.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove

Too much information?
    *sigh* I'm so jealous. Sounds like you really enjoy all of the festives surrounding the holidays. I'm a nomad and move too much. Therefore, I won't have a tree or lights until I am permanantly settled (although my x-mas coaster's look pretty cool). But it is nice to live vicariously through all of you.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    3. Eggnog. Mmmm - eggnog.
    I TOTALLY forgot about the eggnog. I lurve eggnog, although it did give me some problems last year.

I think Eggnog is one of the best parts of the Christmas season - you gotta try it, Erin!

Wow, ADK, you sure are festive. Actually, I am too once December hits and I see some snow. My responses would be the same as yours with the exception of the tree - I've always had artificial. I just found out though that Mr. Bug wants real. Hmmm.......

Speedbump, Christmas coasters are better than nothing!

Real tree, all the way. With the soft needles, not the sharp pokey ones. A former roommate and I once got an enormous tree -- I think it was a blue spruce -- and that thing punctured us all over before we got it set up.

I shop at the last minute, despite vowing every year to get going earlier.

I like eggnog

And I don't really decorate. I have a fake tree my mom bought me, and I've never put it up. I live alone, and I go to my mother's house for Christmas, so I don't see a lot of point in decorating when I'm not even there on Christmas itself.
    The same roommate with whom I got the poke-y tree used to decorate everything that would sit still, though. She once draped shrubs in our front yard with the old big-bulbed lights from the 1970's. It looked like Santa had thrown up out there.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Nothing wrong with coasters, speedbump. They go quite well with eggnog
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

+ Reply to Thread