+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    I went to Wal-Mart for "last minute" Halloween shopping (more make-up) on Saturday the 30th in the morning, and they had taken all of their Halloween stuff down and were replacing it with everything Christmas. That was a bit odd to me, Halloween was not even over yet, and they were already rushing to Christmas. Could they not have waited until Sunday or Monday?

Having worked for Wal-Mart and other retail stores, they really can't wait to put up the next holiday item. Most of them have designated areas of the store "the seasonal isles" when those shelves begin to empty and you don't fill with another item, that is a HUGE NO NO in retail. You are never suppose to have empty shelves in retail. Each shelf is looked upon like real estate...you don't go show homes, you don't sell....you don't have anything on the shelf, you lose business. Trust me, having Christmas decorations out in October is no fun for the employees either, that is just more junk they have to clean up each night and the longer they have to listen to all the little musical ornaments and toys that people walk by and turn on.

Beyond all that Wal-Mart probably started getting their Christmas stuff delivered to the stores back in August. So, you also have the receiving and stocking guys and gals screaming that they can't move in the receiving warehouse because of all the Christmas freight. Retail is not for the weak!

OK, for Thanksgiving I am thankful I no longer work in retail!!!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Some people in my neighborhood leave their lights up all year. Lazy, I guess.

I took my kids to Target today to pick up a few items and my daughter nearly flew out of the cart trying to grab all the pretty ornaments and things! Lots of stores are completely decked out!

I will also admit that I have already done some shopping. If I wait until the last minute, I spend way too much trying to compensate with "desperation" gifts. We have a lot of funky, quirky artists in our family so I'm always on the lookout for those random items I know they will love. I also keep an amazon list for my family, which make it easy for those who live far away to shop. I just updated our entire list last week because my mother-in-law is trying to get her shopping out of the way. Craziness but lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    oh gawd not yet!! please not yet!!

my baby brother (31) always sets up his Christmas tree on his birthday Nov 16th. I told him I don't know how you can stand it up and in the way for so long!
    Mine goes up 2nd week of December and comes down Boxing Day.
    Really, that is interessting. In Denmark, you bring in the three on the 23rd of December and take it out on Three Kings (January 7th, I think). Where I am from Christmans begins on Christmas eve. But ofcourse, the stores start in October :rolleyes

I get so frustrated with the Christmas hype. What was my favorite holiday as a child has turned into the biggest stress inducer as an adult. The stores here always have the Christmas stuff on display starting early October. I can't stand it. I, personally, will not have anything to do with Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving has turned into my favorite holiday because it's the most underrated and overlooked - I always go for the underdog! Anyway, it just bugs me that it gets ignored and people celebrate Halloween and are immediately ready for Christmas. :phhht I will admit though that I do Christmas shop all year long, just because I'm a bargain shopper and have tons of people to buy for - it can get way too overbearing to have to deal with it all in just December. Anyway, I've only seen one house with their outside lights up already and one house with their tree up already. But I'm sure come next week I'll see a lot more. (And depending on the mood I am in and how much the Christmas season has annoyed me for the year, I will put up my tree either two weeks or a few days before Christmas and take it down almost immediately thereafter).

I remember when Halloween was just a time to dress up and hand out candy. Now it's become one of the big 'decorating' times (no, I can't call it a holiday). I can't believe people and the orange lights, and blow up ghosts and stuff.
    guess the retailers finally got hold of that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    Erin you are in my bad books for making me sing It's begining to look a lot like Christmas

.. eeeeeeverywhere I go.
    It's been in my head all day too, dammit.

I refuse to even contemplate Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I refuse to even contemplate Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.
    Another thing we agree on, Lucy! (That and EEK! to spiders!)
    I re-read my post and realized that I came across as sounding like a huge Scrooge, but I'm really not. I do like Christmas - just not two+ months of it. It should stay on the back burner until after Thanksgiving.

I'm waiting to see my first Valentine card and Easter card in the shops!!

I heard a DJ this morning saying he was turning on Leeds city centre Xmas lights toninght. It's only 4th November!!!

How do I know that Christmas is coming?
    It's bloody snowing outside!
    November 4th this year.

I'm already listening to Christmas music and have watched both Christmas Vacation and Home Alone.

+ Reply to Thread