+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

My boy insisted on chewing on ANYTHING on the lower branches, which included the lights as they were plugged in....he ummm sorta stopped after shocking the hell out of himself one night doing it.
    That reminds me of the cat in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!

My cat broke two ornaments playing soccer with them last year, and chewed up a bunch of presents (he has a strange addiction to curled ribbon)....so I thought I'd be smart and make a "decoy" present. I took a small box and wrapped it with all kinds of fun stuff, ribbons, bells, noisy things...he left my real presents alone!
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    ......so I thought I'd be smart and make a "decoy" present. I took a small box and wrapped it with all kinds of fun stuff, ribbons, bells, noisy things...he left my real presents alone!
    Now that is a good idea. My cat would probably leave the decoy alone though, knowing my luck. It would just be an appetizer for him.

I grew up with cats and dogs in the house, and because of this I didn't know a Christmas tree was supposed to be put up any sooner than two days before Christmas. Even then, the bottom three or four rows of branches were bare in order to keep the pets from eating the ornaments and tinsel. (Our cats were declawed so couldn't climb the tree). Anyway, one of our dogs used to love to eat Christmas decorations, and my parents didn't realize this until they noticed that the dog doo in the back yard was very sparkly and colorful! Hence, not decorating the bottom branches. After that dog passed away, they got a new one. However it is a golden retriever and when she wags her big long fluffy tail, everything is wiped off the tables - and Christmas tree. So they still don't decorate the bottom portion of their tree. But they do put it up about two weeks before Christmas now.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    <<<<<< New cat owner wondering what her Christmas tree will look like when she returns home

Frosty (my kitty ) did take a drink out of the tree stand already last night, but didn't really bother much else. Now I'm feeling a little more anxious after reading all of these stories.
    Last edited by Igotalife; 12-01-2004 at 01:35 PM.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Sorry, Igotalife! Let's hope your Frosty is an angel...... then again, that means you'll find her as your tree top. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBug
    I grew up with cats and dogs in the house, and because of this I didn't know a Christmas tree was supposed to be put up any sooner than two days before Christmas. Even then, the bottom three or four rows of branches were bare in order to keep the pets from eating the ornaments and tinsel. (Our cats were declawed so couldn't climb the tree). Anyway, one of our dogs used to love to eat Christmas decorations, and my parents didn't realize this until they noticed that the dog doo in the back yard was very sparkly and colorful! Hence, not decorating the bottom branches. After that dog passed away, they got a new one. However it is a golden retriever and when she wags her big long fluffy tail, everything is wiped off the tables - and Christmas tree. So they still don't decorate the bottom portion of their tree. But they do put it up about two weeks before Christmas now.
    I loved your post, Charlie.....laugh out loud funny....thanks for sharing.

waywyrd....decoy present.....very smart.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife
    <<<<<< New cat owner wondering what her Christmas tree will look like when she returns home

Frosty (my kitty ) did take a drink out of the tree stand already last night, but didn't really bother much else. Now I'm feeling a little more anxious after reading all of these stories.
    Was Frosty wearing any ornaments when you got home?

My dog was a little upset when we put the tree up because its in the front window where her bed usually is..........

I heard Christmas music on the radio before Thanksgiving and I just wasnot ready so I changed the station.......

My daughter is in 2nd grade and they are going on a field trip to a Christmas Tree farm--in Texas? and I'm like why ? what are they going to do?
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaLaruefan
    I put my decorations up this past weekend. No tree though because I just know my son will tear it down and all my beautiful decorations will break. Instead, I put lots of lights outside (which I've never done before) and decorated the windows and things around the house that he can't really get at.

Had I put up a tree, I could have had a contest with Libs to see who would last longer?
    Eva how old is your son? When my baby sister was a little less then 2 she knocked the tree down twice. My step mothers solution... Put the tree in the play pen... my sister HATED the play pen so she would not go near it. The tree was perfectly safe as were the presants under it.

As for the cats i have no solution. Our cats never climbed the tree. i am not sure if my mom did something to the tree so they wouldnt or if they just never tried it. Never had problems like that with the cats. Knowing my mom she probably kept a water gun handy for the first couple days or something. That is how she got them to stop trying to sharpen their claws on the furniture. i really do not remember.

t
    God grant me the serenity. To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And the wisdom to know the difference.

Day three is nearly complete and amazingly there have been no real cat vs tree incidents (yet) in my little abode! I think having gifts under the tree really helps cause it limits the access they have to get to the lower branches.

Now if only I could motivate myself to get to the pile of lights for the windows that's been sitting in the middle of the living room floor in a complete tangle...ehhh well I've got what? another 22 days right?

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    So far, there has only been a sniff here and there at the bottom of the tree with my little Frosty. Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't find it very "fun".

*fingers crossed and still counting the days until Christmas to see if my tree survives "rambo kitty"*
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread