+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

1. Real tree or artificial?

Real, they just smell so good, and I love going out and cutting one down with the kids. As to what comes to it being ecological, one plants thousands of trees, thins them out several times before they mature (you need more trees than you end up with in the end to keep the branch growth in control to get better quality logs, and some other reasons like climate control, and you need to thin every now and then to give space for the best trees to grow bigger), and christmas trees can be thought of as thinning the stand to proper number per acre. (This is just the Forester in me talking, so forgive my rant ) Plus a tree is natural material which will decompose unlike artificial tree made of various plastics. There are upsides to artificial trees too, some people are allergic to real trees, and could not have a real one, and there is less mess to clean. (Yeah, I admit the gorgeous fiberoptic tree one of my friends has makes me want one, but I can't bring myself to it. I'd feel like betraying my profession )

2. Shop early or last minute?

I try to shop early but somehow I always end up running late.

3. Are you a fan of eggnog?

No. But I love "GlŲgi", it is heated up red wine and often red fruit juice mixed with it, added spices like cinnamon and clover, poured over almond slices and couple raisins, soooo good.

4. Decorate outside AND inside of the house?

I have to say that Christmas tree is our main decoration. I do decorate some outside now that we have kids, every year more.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

SurvivorGirl - If you really want a real tree, find a group that is selling them as a fundraiser and convince your parents it is good karma. Offer to do most of the work involved yourself and put on an old coat and leather gloves to wrangle the tree into the stand. That is the hard part. Don't forget to water it often. Then when it's time to take it down, put down a sheet to catch all the needles and wrap the tree up in that. Then offer to vacuum up the remaining needles. Ask them to let you try it one year. Use that lost puppy dog look on them.
    Count your blessings!

Are you ready for candy canes to come dropping out of your armpits and Jingle Bells to come whistling out your nose?! Of course you are!

I think that, yes, it is simpy wrong to walk into Target to buy Halloween candy and have to walk through aisles of wreaths, animatronic Santas and fiber-optic Christmas trees.

Having said that--Christmas? "Bring it awn!" J. and I celebrate all the holidays: Kwanzaa, Chanukah, Christmas, Festivus. I'm simply not happy until I'm lighting candles in the Kinara, spinning a dreidel with one hand, holding the Festivus Pole in the other and dunking my fat face in a punch bowl of egg nog.

1. Real tree or artificial? I had nothing but artificial growing up, and I swore on those plastic branches that someday, when I was "all growed up" with my own house and my own family, that I would have a real Christmas tree. And now the hoofin'-it-down-to-Home-Depot-to-pick-out-a-Christmas-tree is an annual tradition steeped in three years of history between J. and me.

I can't wait until someday I can take my children to Home Depot, and, after picking out the tree, hand my son or daughter the Home Depot credit card, and, with a wink, say: "Here, Lil' Phat32, why don't you pay for it this year?"

2. Shop early or last minute? J. and I have an annual holiday tradition that takes place around Labor Day: We go to Applebee's, get sloshed, and come up with the gift list. Eighty percent of the gifts on the list are sitting in my closet right now, awaiting wrapping paper. We'll be done with the list in the next ten days.

3. Are you a fan of eggnog? Heck yeah!

4. Decorate outside AND inside of the house? Inside, not outside, except for maybe a wreath. I have seen way too many movies where a person hanging lights around the house comes sliding down the roof, or falls off the ladder and rips the gutters off the house.

5. Favorite Chistmas special? Yogi's First Christmas, although it becomes less entertaining every year I grow older.

6. Favorite song? O Come, All Ye Faithful

This year, I'm inviting all FoRT members to my Airing of Grievances, which will be followed by Feats of Strength. As always, Festivus is Dec. 23 (unless you fit the Festivus excuse of having something better to do).
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Eggnog shakes! McD's has them, your own are better - you can add rum. Mmmm. Fav. Christmas movie? White Christmas with Bing Crosby. Makes me cry every time. Great songs...we grew up singing "Sisters". Hard to nail down a favorite carol - there are so many good ones. Silent Night, Chestnuts roasting, White Christmas, The First Noel, Better Watch Out. I have a crazy-making puzzle/list of the first letters of the first line of about 30 Christmas carols if anyone wants me to post it.
    Count your blessings!

Since we're on the Christmas topic, perhaps we can have a quick and fun poll?
    1. Real tree or artificial? Artificial. I have a hard time keeping houseplants alive, so I dont risk it with the Christmas tree.
    2. Shop early or last minute? Early, but I am guilty of buying some presents at the last minute too.
    3. Are you a fan of eggnog? Nope
    4. Decorate outside AND inside of the house? Inside Only.

5. Favorite Chistmas special? Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman and The Grinch that stole Christmas.
    6. Favorite Christmas Movie Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.. I love that movie and watch it every Christmas and laugh just as hard as I did when I first watched it.

7. Favorite song "O Holy Night"

8. When do you put your Christmas tree up? I used to put my Christmas tree up the day after Thanksgiving, but since I moved to Canada and their Thanksgiving is before Halloween, I put ours up Dec. 1st.

I also noticed another hardware store putting up Christmas trees and decorations yesterday.
    Last edited by canadian_bunny; 11-06-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    If I may add to Charlie's poll:
    5. Favorite Chistmas special? It's a toss up between The Grinch and A Charlie Brown Christmas. The Grinch wins by a nose.
    6. Favorite movie? I love watching The Grinch (with Jim Carrey), A Christmas Vacation, Home Alone but my fave is Die Hard.
    7. Favorite song? Without question, Silent Night.
    5. Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph
    6. Miracle on 34th Street (both versions), While You Were Sleeping...I love all the Die Hard movies
    7. O Holy Night
    8. I usually put up the tree the day after Thanksgiving or at least over that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    Having worked for Wal-Mart and other retail stores, they really can't wait to put up the next holiday item. Most of them have designated areas of the store "the seasonal isles" when those shelves begin to empty and you don't fill with another item, that is a HUGE NO NO in retail. You are never suppose to have empty shelves in retail. Each shelf is looked upon like real estate...you don't go show homes, you don't sell....you don't have anything on the shelf, you lose business. Trust me, having Christmas decorations out in October is no fun for the employees either, that is just more junk they have to clean up each night and the longer they have to listen to all the little musical ornaments and toys that people walk by and turn on.

Beyond all that Wal-Mart probably started getting their Christmas stuff delivered to the stores back in August. So, you also have the receiving and stocking guys and gals screaming that they can't move in the receiving warehouse because of all the Christmas freight. Retail is not for the weak!

OK, for Thanksgiving I am thankful I no longer work in retail!!!
    i am glad that you said this because i was wondering if i should. You are right we had to fill those seasonal isles as soon as the back to school stuff came down... Something has to be there and with the back room filled to over flowing with all those boxes that said Christmas that is what went there. i was so shocked when i went to work in August and two isles were set for Halloween and one isle was set for Christmas. i asked a manager what is going on why do we have Christmas out already and he said because we have too much in the back so we had to put some out. i was even more shocked when the Christmas decorations were selling faster then the holloween decorations. i noticed though being a cashier that it was allot of the older people buying the Christmas decorations now and i asked one why they were buying now and she told me because in Nov and Dec she would be buying so many Christmas presents she would not have the money for the decorations and she was very happy that we had the big things out so early because she could afford to buy them now and when she wanted them last year she didnt have the money for them. The old guy behind her said, "Besides that, it is too cold for me to decorate in Decemeber, I can do it now and then just not turn anything on until after Thanksgiving."

i always decorate the week after Thanksgiving, but i do remember last year electing not to put any lights outside (it was too cold and there was snow out there). Living in the south for 28 yrs i never even thought about how cold it would get in Cleveland... i was totally not prepared when i started decorating and tried to go outside to set a few of my decorations up. i quickly decided i did not need much outside... Come to think of it, it is already cold out there, i should start thinking about what i want to do this year before it starts snowing.

bjb

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2

So I guess this is the wrong thread to admit that I did all my Christmas shopping today?

*runs out of thread*
    Wait for me...

i put all my Christmas stuff for everyone on lay away 2 days ago... But that way i know i got what everyone wants before its all gone. AND i did not have to fight any crowds.

bjb

5. Favorite Chistmas special?
    Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolph are tied. I am so sick of the Grinch, it is my daughter's favorite and we watch it all year round. :rolleyes

6. Favorite movie?
    A Christmas Story "You'll shoot your eye out, you'll shoot your eye out" ;D Love it

7. Favorite song?
    Silent Night, I love all the Christmas hymns
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Sorry i have so many posts at about the same time, i have not been here in a few days and just found this thread and just started at the first post and went from there. i refrained from replying to the poll until i got to the end, now i am glad because i saw someone added to it and i can put it all on one post.

i do love Christmas but as a kid my mom would not let me decorate until the day after Thanksgiving and i carried that on with my kids also. i do shop earlier but mainly because if i tried to buy everything i want to buy in December it would most likely end up on a credit card and i would rather just start early and buy it all as i can. Layaway is great because i can get most of it all at once and just pay for it a little at a time... it was great when the kids were little too because its easier to hide it at the store .

Since we're on the Christmas topic, perhaps we can have a quick and fun poll?
    1. Real tree or artificial? i loved real as a kid (before i got asthma and the child with asthma, now i love artificial because we love to breath ) i got a fiberoptic tree last year and it is great. i don't have to deal with lights on it, the fiberoptics shine off the glass bulbs and i have all the sparkle that i want.

2. Shop early or last minute? i shop early... i used to shop all year long but as the kids got older and pickier with what they wanted i do not do that as much any more.

3. Are you a fan of eggnog? i like egg nog, but only in december, it does not taste good any other time...

4. Decorate outside AND inside of the house? i used to go whole hog with decorating inside and outside, but the cold in the north is not easy on my southern bones so i do not do much outside any more. i do allot inside and it ends up being more every year because i always see some new decoration that i think i "need". The fiberoptic tree being one of those things. i already had a tree, but they look so cool and i had wanted one for a few years and the price came down last year, so one just sort of found its way into my cart.

5. Favorite Chistmas special? Not sure any more When i was a kid it was always The Andy Williams Christmas special or The Osmonds Family Christmas. Now i would say The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, i do not think any of the Christmas Specials are as god as they were when i was a kid.

6. Favorite movie? Dir Hard is probably my favorite. i also have to watch Home Alone. i also like A Christmas Story (i think that is what it is called... with the kid who wants the red rider bb gun...

7. Favorite song? ALL of them!!!! Joy to the World, We three kings, Silent Night

8. When do you put your Christmas tree up? Used to be the day after Thanksgiving, but now i have to work that crazyiest shopping day of the year, so its usually the first day off after Thanksgiving.

+ Reply to Thread