+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time out

Time out

I'm watching the news right now and they're talking about a special needs class at a school in Brantford Ontario.

There are eight children in the class, all of whom have behavioural problems.
    The favoured mode of punishment for the student (not sure how bad the students have to be to get this punishment), is to be shut into a small basement room.

One ten year old boy was shut in for over four hours and ended up having to pee himself as the door was locked.
    While he was in there the teacher gave his lunch away.

Some of the students have been removed from the school by their parents. The school board says the parents are "over reacting".

Thought this was an interesting story.

OMG. My brother worked at a school that took in kids with behavioral problems. He stayed for a long time, and helped as much as he could (brought two of the kids to our house for Christmas dinner as their parents didn't want to bother with them 'till after the holiday).
    ANY WAY, sorry, I'm rambling, He left the school because of the treatment of the kids. He has done what he could to let the "right" people know, but it is all "accepted" practice...

Now, having said that, many teachers had to get RABIES shots as the students tend to bite, sctratch etc. When a 170lb 15 year old is throwing a fit, you HAVE to do something!

Arg Fluff, I could go on forever on this subject!
    I'll stop for now
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Oh my gosh you two, those stories are heartbreaking. Over-reacting? Are they insane? Do they really expect the parents to appreciate and support this kind of treatment of their children?
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

The children were no more than ten Zhora, and I seriously doubt any of them would pose much of a physical threat.
    It was really sad to see one young lad say he didn't like going into the room because it smelled of pee.

I woudl think behavioural needs children would need to be shown more tolerance, not less.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Exactly fluff! And Zhora, it's sad to say that a lot of the parents of the kids at the school my brother worked for just didn't give a darn about their kids. They were just happy to pawn them off on someone else. My bro constantly had bruises and scrapes and cuts. He's big guy too! He would always just hold the kids tightly until they calmed down. I often feel bad for the kids that he left, as they would scream for him to come! Having said that 1/2 the staff there was glad to see him go, and if he hadn't of left, he would have been fired. Why? Because he gave a damn, and that made other, less patient employees look bad!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It's a shame that being conscientious, caring and putting the interests of the children first marked your brother as some sort of "boat rocker".
    You have to feel so sorry for any child in that situation.
    "That's Numberwang!"

That just stuns me. Especially when you factor in that they are special needs children.

Are they putting a stop to it or not?

Well, the school made a "show of good faith" by removing the door from the room.
    It seems to be a stand-off at the moment with the parents picketing the school and the school board saying nothing is out of order.
    "That's Numberwang!"

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Nothing out of order about locking a kid in a box for four hours?
    My nephew is a special needs kid. The thought of him going through something like that turns my stomach.
    Good for your bro Cali. .......Karma

+ Reply to Thread