+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyware Help

Another program you might consider is the one I use: Ad-Aware SE Professional. I like it because it's pretty good at catching adware, spyware, cookies from suspect sites, etc., and has a user-friendly interface, plus gives very good detail information about the items it finds, including sources if known. I believe it's still selling for $39.95, but not certain. They also offer a free personal version for download if you want to try it out.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

www.komando.com has easy to use free down load links. I use ad aware and spy bot and they are easy and seem to be working

Between Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, you should be able to keep it down to less than ten a month.

its also Important on both of these, like AV software, to keep them updated.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

I had Ad Aware, Spybot and Norton Utilities and some firewall and nothing worked. I had to reinstall my operating system. I hate spyware!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar

Installer2 and Spybuddy

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    I had Ad Aware, Spybot and Norton Utilities and some firewall and nothing worked. I had to reinstall my operating system. I hate spyware!
    Me too! Aside from Spybuddy (that I think was installed by an evil housemate)...it's like I just can't get away from the ad-ware. I do the Spybot, Ad-aware, and the AOL scans. Clean the stuff off or Quarantine it and within seconds I'm getting another "Top Rebates" pop up. I wish I understood how this all works.

I hate this worse than I hate spam. At least with Spam we can delete the unwanted email easily. It takes a lot longer to run a spy program (or three) and even then the danged stuff shows up again.

Is anyone else getting Installer2? I keep getting Installer2 in my temp file. I delete it with the Spy program and it's right back up there. Grrrrrrr
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

This has been recommended elsewhere on this site, but I'll say it again -- I switched browsers, to Mozilla Firefox (which you can download free off the Internet; just google for it) and it has really cut down on my spyware problems. Also, it has a built-in pop-up blocker that really works -- I never get pop-ups. I highly recommend it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I have Mozilla Firefox also and can vouch for its effectiveness. As a big added bonus, my computer has not once shut down because of the infamous "Netscape or IE has encountered a problem and must close, and everything you were working on is now lost forever" message. It is also so much quicker at loading pages.

Kaicee, it sounds like you have a trojan. I had something similar, and it didn't matter how many times I scanned it and removed it, it was written into my startup script to keep reinstallling itself. You may need to do some research and find out what other files may be associated with that, and find them and get rid of them manually. Sorry I can't be of more help...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Is anyone else getting Installer2? I keep getting Installer2 in my temp file. I delete it with the Spy program and it's right back up there. Grrrrrrr
    What operating system? If its XP, you should probably turn off system restore.... I've seen it replace a good config with a previous (infected) config before.

also make sure its not in your startup.... both the folder and the registry setting.

The easiest way to look at the registry is start -> run -> msconfig {enter}
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    What operating system? If its XP, you should probably turn off system restore.... I've seen it replace a good config with a previous (infected) config before.The easiest way to look at the registry is start -> run -> msconfig {enter}
    Thanks everyone! I did what you suggested plus uninstalled Plaxo (I heard it wasn't a good program to have running and it was on my startup - I never even used the program! I ran three different Anti-Spyware programs and McAffee anti virus for good measure. So far Spybuddy hasn't reappeared (but I threatened the evil person who I think put that one on my computer ) and no more Installer2.

What did I do before FoRT? Everyone is so helpful.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast