+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hair Cut Help

Thank you everyone! As I'm usually a rather impetuous person when it comes to haircuts, this time I decided to get other's opinions. My db thinks I'm absolutely crazy, but whatever!!! The general consensus here and the other places that I decided to poll have #1 as the cut to go for. Personally I'm leaning towards #2, but have decided to go with #1 or a variation of first. If I don't like it after living with it for a couple of weeks I can always go shorter. Easier to go in steps than all in one shot.

Thank you all for your kind comments, I truly do appreciate them. Deej

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    My experience is that most men like long hair, but women think short hair is more stylish. So, who are you trying to please? I've always had long hair and cut it short last year. The women at work loved it and the men looked at me with big, sad eyes.
    My hair is super short. Every time I do it, all the women love it. The all say, "you are so brave! I've always wanted to do that but I just ______" and then comes either 1) "have a flat head"; 2) "my husband hates short hair"; 3)"am too chicken."

And I'm talking WAY shorter than pic #2! Mine is like the black-haired gal on Apprentice 2.

My husband is very fastidious about neatness. He likes my hair short because it is tidy. He's not into that wild mane of hair men's fantasy thing. Then again, my hair is also about 75% prematurely white (I'm 38) and I don't dye it either. The white hairs have a different texture so when it gets more than a few inches long, it gets frizzy and uncontrollable. I just go with the tight, stylish look. Since I have 4 children and am happily married, I don't really give a heck about being any other man's fantasy.

I still think #2 is really cute on you.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by djgirl5235
    Thank you everyone! As I'm usually a rather impetuous person when it comes to haircuts, this time I decided to get other's opinions. My db thinks I'm absolutely crazy, but whatever!!! The general consensus here and the other places that I decided to poll have #1 as the cut to go for. Personally I'm leaning towards #2, but have decided to go with #1 or a variation of first. If I don't like it after living with it for a couple of weeks I can always go shorter. Easier to go in steps than all in one shot.

Thank you all for your kind comments, I truly do appreciate them. Deej
    Good idea. You can always take more off, but you can't add more on.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    And I'm talking WAY shorter than pic #2! Mine is like the black-haired gal on Apprentice 2.
    I LOVE that hairstyle.....it shows an adventurous, sort of gutsy spirit!

The white hairs have a different texture so when it gets more than a few inches long, it gets frizzy and uncontrollable.
    I have heard that white/grey hairs are wiry with a mind of their own. I wouldn't know because in spite of the fact that I'm 53, I don't have one white hair *coughthanksClairolcough* .

I had very long hair all my life, then around the age of 40, I was suddenly fed up with the time it took to blow dry, and all the fussing with it all. I had it all cut off and have never looked back. I LOVE having short hair.....maybe it is an age thing?
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

The main proponent to my visit to the stylist is to refresh my blonde roots I too am prematurely grey - over 60% and found my first at 11 (oh the horror!) I hate looking in the rearview mirror in my car and seeing one or two grey standing stick straight out of the top of my head - no matter the length it always happens!

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

I like #2 best. I love short, short hair. You have such a pretty face, show it off.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    welll looks like I lost another popular poll. wonder if this is a hint on who I am voting for?

I know you already decided, but here's another vote for #2! Although your reasoning to go with #1 makes sense.

Regarding older women & long hair, SOME of them can pull it off, but most of them just look like they are stuck in a time warp. I mean, most of the ones I see around here that opt to keep it long don't color it, so it's got crazy grey hairs sticking out here & there & doesn't look smooth & shiny. It looks dull & flat, & they either leave it just hanging or put it in a headband (or whatever they are called - the ones that that just pull the hair out of the face - not an elastic band). If someone - anyone - wants to have their hair long, they should at least have a style to it. I mean, long, super straight hair looks awesome on a 16 year old with healthy hair, but I'm 33, & I can tell you that it would look ridiculous on me. I'd look like I was still longing for my younger days. Plus a lot of women (any age) just don't have the right kind of hair for long hair. One of my friends has very thin, fine hair & it looks ADORABLE when it's short (about chin length), but she insists on trying to wear it long (like past her shoulders) & it looks terrible! It's all thin on the ends & has NO body to it at all. She should keep it short (at least above her shoulders), b/c that looks best on her. Sometimes ya just gotta work with what you have!

I used to work with an older woman who had the most beautiful silver hair. It really worked for her & one day she came it with it brown (she tried going back to her color before it went silver) & she HATED IT. A week later, she SHAVED HER HEAD! And she wore a wig for about 6 weeks (a cute, short sassy one, that if I didn't know her, I would have thought it was her hair). Anyway, when her hair grew out to about 1.5 inches, she got it shaped up & wore it super short like that ever since. It looks so good on her! She tried to grow it out a couple of times, but it just didn't look as good & she had the sense to stick with what was working for her & go back to the short.
    Last edited by holly71; 10-30-2004 at 10:34 AM.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

My only rule of thumb is for men is:

Don't go to a barber if you want a longer haircut, and don't go to a 'stylist' if you want a short haircut.

They are different types of critters, though they both fib in the same manner.

Tell a barber you want it cut for length and you end up with a butch.

Tell a stylist you want a short haircut and after you thank them for the great job, you'll be heading for the nearest barber who understands what short signifies.

Here's an updated pic taken this morning:

Now for the saga behind the cut!!!

Saturday, I got up bright & early for the 75 minute drive to get my hair done. I normally go to my girlfriend for my cut & highlights but something's going on with her and I haven't heard from her in about a month. My roots were getting out of hand, and the dead ends were horrendous. I was in dire need of a new style, etc.

I elected to have my old boss do my hair for me this time as he's cut it so many times in the past and always done a great job. He sat me down and plunked the highlighting cap on my head and proceeded to pull three quarters of my hair through the cap. He bleached it, toned it then foiled in low-lites since my hair was entirely too bleached out.

Then it came time for the cut. I took this pic of Meg in with me as reference.

When he was finished the cut & was blow drying my hair, his next client had arrived and was sitting next to us with her hair dripping wet. Then it happened... he pulled out the mirror to show me the back of my head and he'd done the unthinkable. He'd created a MULLET. I kid you not. The front & sides were short and the back was pretty much all one length and a mullet. I was running behind and he was running behind so I paid and left. I thought, nope, he didn't just do what I thought he did - I'll go home tomorrow morning and wash & style it myself and it'll be fine. I drove another two hours to my girlfriend's surprise party with two pigtails sticking out the back and had a good time.

Yesterday morning, I got home and had a long hot bath & washed my hair. Out came the hair dryer and pomade and I proceeded to style my hair, only to find out that I did indeed have a MULLET. I was in tears. I was tired, I was cranky and I was now panicking. Tim & I got into a huge row - not about my hair, about other things, but I was feeling so self-conscious about my head that it made things worse. Finally, while collapsing in the bathroom and crying my head off, I realized that a salon in the mall was actually open and ran out the door to get my hair fixed.

Thank goodness! I showed the same picture to the new stylist and explained the situation. He agreed that the back was completely out of line with the rest of the cut and proceeded to snip away in fine fashion. Before he could get his blow dryer near my head, my hands flew through my hair and proclaimed it perfect. I've had this cut before - I know how it feels, and he had done it - he had to cut it shorter than the picture since he had to work with what had already been done to it. In any case, I'm now happy with the results and will never have my old boss do my hair ever again!
    Last edited by Mellon; 03-05-2009 at 08:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread