+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 85 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Cat Behaviour

Archie, is it possible someone's been using pesticides or other chemicals in an area where the kitty could have inhaled a lot of it, or gottten it on his skin? My sister once had a cat that she washed in flea soap intended for dogs, and the poor kitty had such awful after effects--staring into space, would not eat or drink, and didn't even seem to notice the food and water. She did seem to watch things that no one else saw, and it was very weird. The vet said to wait a few days, and it might improve, but unfortunately Mitty got worse, growling at 'nothing', falling down and so forth, so she had to be put to sleep.
    This was years ago, so maybe if your cat has contacted poison the vet might have better treatment for it?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I've always believed in keeping kitties indoors to avoid unknown gremlins that I may not be able to point out.

My prayers are with you and your kitty, ACF.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

update on Gizmo - He's home and seems to be doing okay. The vet said they couldn't find anything wrong with him and his temp is back to normal. He's been drinking water and eating since he's been home and I closed the pet door so that he'd have to stay in tonight. I just hope he remembers to use the litter box!

prhoshay - I'd love to keep him indoors but technically he's my husband's cat, only in the regard that he brought him home so that he can keep the vermin away. But it seems I'm the one feeding him and taking him to the vet so you'd think he's my cat at this point and the cat does prefer me. However, since the dog goes in and out the pet door and the cat has learned to use it, I can't keep it closed or else the dog can't come and go as he pleases and with us gone during the day, we need the dog to be able to go out to the yard (fenced) when he needs to.

Thank you to everyone for your advice! The vet said his kidneys checked out fine so I guess all I can do is keep an eye on him. She still thinks maybe something scared him, which considering the hour he came in making all that noise (2 am), a racoon or some other critter could have given him a fright.

ArchieComic Fan, I'm glad to hear that Gizmo's doing well. I don't know if you keep the dog in at night, but you should definitely try to make a point of keeping the cat in at night. Because they're noctural by nature, they tend to be a bit more sluggish and homebound during the day, but go awanderin' at night and that's when they get into trouble. We call our boys in at around 7:30 or 8:00 and they're perfectly happy with that.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Yay, Gizmo!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Great news ACF!!!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I just read about your recent event with Gizmo not being himself.. I'm so sorry but I'm glad you got him to the vet and he's gotten a good report back.

You may never know what scared Gizmo, if anything, but I'm very happy he's doing better with you. Take care ARC! Kisses to Gizmo from Gracie and Mr. Tootles!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

ACF, I am a believer that cats choose you, and not really the other way around. Your husband may have brought him home, but he chose you! If I was still with my husband, I'd make HIM keep the vermin away and protect my kitty!

I think you all have a good point about trying to keep him in at night. The dog doesn't need or usually go out at night so I'm going to see if I can get them in the habit of staying in by 8 and then close the flap for the night. If the dog needs to go out past that, it's easy enough to put him out and let him back in because the yard is fenced. Gizmo did well staying in last night and came on the bed for some attention so I think he's coming around to being back to himself.

I told my husband he and I are two different types of pet owners. I don't have animals, I have pets, no make that family members. And whether they are inside or outside, they get the same medical care and love. Thanks again everyone for making me feel better. I'll let you know if he regresses back to his skittish behavior.

Thanks for the update ACF. I'm so happy Gizmo's becoming a little bit more of himself. That must have been one big scare for the poor little guy. You certainly are a really good mom to your family!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread