+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 85 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Cat Behaviour

Premium Member
    My cat likes to lay on top of the printer when I'm in the computer. Just a minute ago he moved and accidentally turned it on and now he's up turning around in circles trying to figure out what the heck just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I scolded the cat and told him I don't like these gifts and to quit bringing his friends inside. He of course didn't take too well to being talked to like that but I *think* we have an understanding now. (keeping fingers crossed!)
    Sorry, but no - you have no such understanding . He'll just find ways around anything you do to stop him. If I had any handy tricks to let you in on, I would, but I can't stop my boys from bringing rodents and cicadas in the house, the little buggers. I did, however, invest in a cheap pair of salad tongs that are the designated corpse removal equipment.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    My gurlz are strictly indoor ladies (maybe, heathens), so we don't have to deal with presents from outdoors, thank goodness. But there is always that occasional hairball that looks like a dead mouse(my gurlz are mostly dark gray).
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    My cat keeps bringing "guests" into the house and it's really freaking me out.
    My old cat used to bring the guests to door, meow until someone came to see what's up then proceed to eat the guest. That's grosser. If we didn't go see what he wanted to show us he would still eat the guest but make sure to leave only the stomach and guts behind so we knew how many he found that day. As you can imagine, my new cat is an indoor one and has never been outside by herself. Her thing is that if she happens to find a bug in the house she watches it intently until I go and pick it up and put it outside or kill it.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Well my cat's at the vet for an overnight stay. The other night around 2 am he came inside and was hissing and low growling at nothing in particular. It really freaked me out. I couldn't see anything wrong with him. The next morning he had disappeard outside and didn't come home all night. I called his name and looked around but couldn't find him. This morning he was under our porch and wouldn't even turn his head when I called him and wouldn't come out so I had to crawl under to get him but he ran out and back into the house. I was able to get him into the crate and drove straight to the vet, I didn't even call to see if they'd fit me in, I just wanted to get him there.

The vet checked him out and he didn't wince or meow when she pushed on his stomach or touched his legs, so a car accident was ruled out. No bite marks, so animal scuffle was ruled out. He had some labored breathing and a slight temp.

She kept him to do blood work and an x-ray and called me later to say all his levels were normal and the x-ray looked fine. He's a little dehydrated, probably from not drinking for a day. But we are perplexed as to what is wrong or why he started acting strangely.

Any suggestions? Could it be neurological? He didn't want to move from under the porch but he didn't cry out when I picked him up. Is there a way for them to test for something neurological?

If he ate something bad, would it make him hiss and growl for no reason? He wasn't doing it at me because I wasn't in the room at the time he was doing it. But the dog might have been in the room with him, although he gets along great with the dog and in fact is the one in charge between the two. And he's never acted this way until just now.

Could it be shock from being scared by a larger animal or a near miss with a car? The vet said if it didn't look like he's eaten or drank anything overnight then they'd give him some fluid under his skin. I'm assuming she means a shot.

So any ideas anyone might have for me to ask the vet to check before I pick him up would be appreciated. It could be nothing and maybe he'll be back to normal tomorrow. The main thing is I want to make sure he gets something to drink and eat but I can't force those things down his throat. And with his bloodwork being fine, she isn't going to prescribe any antibiotics because there doesn't appear to be anything to treat.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just worried about him and don't know what could be wrong. Maybe someone here has had similar behavior from their cat?

He's a little dehydrated, probably from not drinking for a day............The vet said if it didn't look like he's eaten or drank anything overnight then they'd give him some fluid under his skin. I'm assuming she means a shot.
    What they mean by fluid under the skin is an IV of fluids. I had to do this with Tigger when he was sick and dehydrated. It is a common thing with cats that are having kidney problems. I'm not saying that your cat has that problem but it sounds like my Cinnamon when his kidneys started to fail. He hid in the bathroom and under the desk. It just a cats way of letting you know he is sick. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    My cat likes to lay on top of the printer when I'm in the computer. Just a minute ago he moved and accidentally turned it on and now he's up turning around in circles trying to figure out what the heck just happened.
    Whenever I print out an e-mail my cat gets curious about where the paper comes from.

Thanks Unklescott, I'll ask her again about his kidneys tomorrow. She did say his cell counts were good and didn't think anything was wrong with his kidneys but I guess time will tell. He's not even a year old yet although I don't know his exact birthday. When we got him around Thanksgiving last year he was about 8 weeks old. Since he now does his "business" outside and not in the litterbox, I can't tell if everything is normal. If he goes to the bathroom while at the vet maybe they will be able to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

Archie, did your kitty act like it knew where it was when it was growling or did he act like he was totally out of it?

I have three things that have happened with an animal of mine. I don't know if they relate at ALL, but maybe they can help you with some questions to ask.

1) Seizure. I've had two dogs that had seizures. One of them would growl and pant right before or after seizing. Could the cat be having a seizure?

2) Allergic reaction. I had a cat that would have severe allergic reactions to chicken, of all things. She'd have labored breathing and become dehydrated because she couldn't eat. I had to buy special food for her. They even had to put her in an oxygen tent once. She didn't develop this allergy until she was about two or three.

3) Neurological problem. I had a ferret die of a neurological problem that mimicked rabies. Well, it was dying of it, I should say. We had to have the poor thing put down. It's body would stiffen and it would scream (bloodcurdling, I have to say *shudder*). It foamed at the mouth and that sort of thing. This could have been something only ferrets get, I don't know. I only bring it up because it started out with it growling and slinking about.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    It is a common thing with cats that are having kidney problems.
    My Pokey had kidney failure and the symptoms were very much the same.

The main thing is I want to make sure he gets something to drink and eat but I can't force those things down his throat.
    It was imperative we get food and fluid into Pokey when his kidneys were failing. I used to take Gerber liver for babies and put a finger full on Pokey's upper palate. It was easy for him to eat and forced some water into him. In the end it helped him survive the kidney failure.

You know our thoughts and prayers are with you ACF. Keep us posted.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread