+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 85 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Cat Behaviour

Thanks. It was a funny moment when that came out of her mouth.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

giz
    What am I going to do about my cat??? He is driving me crazy. He is a big boy, I am not denying it, but he is tall, so what you are about to read must be leavened by the fact that he does not just go broad, he goes high. He weighs 18 pounds. I say "oof" when I pick him up. His waist is 21 inches. My children (10 and 6) have 20 inch waists. Hell, my waist is 27. But he is permanently on the scrounge. He gets lots of love and attention, but is obsessed with food. He is Garfield! He smiles, he lies on his back waggling his legs in the air so as to better see his "emaciated" tummy, if all else fails he tries to eat my books. The vet says he eats too much as it is, but an hour after feeding him he is asking if there's a chance of a small smackerel of something. He is the hungriest cat I"ve ever owned. He is 9 years old, his name is Tuvvy, and he's a foodaholic. Is this normal? Is there hope? I keep tellling him he is supposed to be relaxing me, and it's not working!!

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    What am I going to do about my cat??? He is driving me crazy. He is a big boy, I am not denying it, but he is tall, so what you are about to read must be leavened by the fact that he does not just go broad, he goes high. He weighs 18 pounds. I say "oof" when I pick him up. His waist is 21 inches. My children (10 and 6) have 20 inch waists. Hell, my waist is 27. But he is permanently on the scrounge. He gets lots of love and attention, but is obsessed with food. He is Garfield! He smiles, he lies on his back waggling his legs in the air so as to better see his "emaciated" tummy, if all else fails he tries to eat my books. The vet says he eats too much as it is, but an hour after feeding him he is asking if there's a chance of a small smackerel of something. He is the hungriest cat I"ve ever owned. He is 9 years old, his name is Tuvvy, and he's a foodaholic. Is this normal? Is there hope? I keep tellling him he is supposed to be relaxing me, and it's not working!!

Do what I do with Joey - JUST SAY NO in a quiet but firm voice and don't leave food sitting out just plenty of fresh water.

giz, our Harvey (my av) has ongoing weight issues, but we've managed drop a few pounds off of him by feeding him Hills W/D, which is weight control for older cats. They also have a weight loss food which we haven't found that we've needed - yet. I've also stopped, much to his deep and unending regret, feeding him any people food. Unless he's not feeling well. Anyway, he's still a bit heavier than he should be, but isn't as heavy as he once was. And he gets a small (three or four pieces) treat of cat dental care bits (Greenies, etc.) twice a day - once in the morning before I leave for work and once in the evening when we call the boys in for the night. If he finds that he's REALLY hungry, he will go ahuntin' for rodents which does give him more food, but also provides a little exercise.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

giz
    I do say no, he just does not hear me! Maybe he only understands French or something. I generally have to put him out, he smiles the whole way to the door, and I end up covered in cat hair (he gets brushed a lot, but it's that season).

He has to eat special food to keep him from getting crystals in his urine again, so he's stuck with that stuff. Anyway, I like a well-upholstered cat, just not one that wants to eat every hour. (I swear he thinks he needs a coffee break, he always starts in on me around 10:30. Being exhausted from a hard morning's sleeping in the flowerbed can really work up an appetite!).

giz: If your boy is always looking for something to eat it could be that he's not actually hungry. Just bored. If I play out Mr. Tootles, and he gets lots of fresh air, he has a really great snooze and he forgets to eat. When he's bored, he wanders around and thinks, oh, food....that will distract me for a couple of minutes. Let's try that.
    ----------------------
    Mr. Tootles and Gracie=kins definitely have me trained. I was mowing the lawn yesterday, and believe it or not, I actually realized what I was doing.....I lifted up the height of the lawn mower so it was longer grass where they like to lay around. So it would be softer to lay on and cooler. WT? Who's the owner of the house I say! Me! I say Me! But then, it's really not THAT much of an inconvencience.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

giz, I have a cat like that too. I try to distract her by playing and then if that doesn't work I will give her just 5-10 pieces of dry. That usually does the trick. She seems happier when I do that. It's like she needs to know that food can be had if needed. She still is overweight but the pounds are slowly coming off. I also but up a bird feeder out side one of our windows, not to close but close enough to see. All my cats seem to think that is so much fun they forget about eating all the time.

Premium Member
    That's interesting that you would measure the "waist" size of an animal.

We have two cats, one male,one female. both are nuetered. the female meows insistantly at me when her litter box is dirty. Otherwise she ignores me. Likes the males in the family. The male chews on plastic everywhere, and lays around spread out on his back lays splayed all over. The female is always very proper in the way she sits or sleeps.
    old sis cat

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    That's interesting that you would measure the "waist" size of an animal.
    Why do I have the feeling you are putting "interesting" in quotes? Like interesting as in "Giz really needs to see a psychiatrist" interesting! What can I say, I'm short of amusement. He was lying on his back, on the floor, rolling back and forth and giving off a harbour seal vibe (instead of the intended emaciated Supermodel vibe he was aiming for) and I just thought, "That cat looks fatter than my kids". So I measured him. Around the middle of the tummy. (Now Marleybone, you gotta keep in mind that I call anything on the human body, below the boobs and above the genitals the tummy -even if I know darn well it's the intestines or the pancreas or whatever- , and until the age of about 24 called the vagina the "front bottom", so I think me saying the cat has a waist has to be taken in the general context of my anatomical confusion. I also insist that he has arms and legs, not legs and legs. So I wouldn't read too much into it!). And sure enough he is bigger than my (admittedly skinny) children. It gives me bragging rights when someone claims their cat is on the plump side I (not normally competitive woose) say "Yeah? Measure him." I'm not quite at the point of carrying around a tape measure. But I'm close!
    Last edited by giz; 06-05-2006 at 01:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread