+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Cat Behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    I do hope however even if you are mad about that, that you do not yell or hit him. PS- PUT unbreakable ornaments within reach so he can bat them around all day.
    Oh no, I'd never hit my baby! All I did was say his name loudly, he knew he did wrong. I have finals this week and was in no mood to be sweeping up broken glass...I've since moved all the glass things higher on the tree. I should have thought about it before...but it's not like he doesn't have a whole floor full of toys and mice to play with! I guess the novelty of the tree hasn't worn off yet.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Alright, cat psychologists. This is a strange one.

As some of you may know, I'm the proud mama of two adorable kitties that I got from an animal shelter just over two years ago. They're still on the shy side around strangers, but couldn't be more affectionate and loving around me and Mr Geek. In the last year or so, they've also warmed up to my immediate family. Anyway, bottom line is they are just the sweetest cats around. Very mild-tempered, almost polite even - which I suppose is partly due to their still being a bit insecure. In the two years I've had them, they've never been aggressive towards humans, never scratched or bitten us. When they, for some reason, feel scared or uneasy, they tend to just run and hide. Which is why what happened the other night strikes me as so odd.

My sister was over, and we were sitting together on the couch with Stella (one of my cats) lying on the armrest. My sister was taking a few pics of her with her digital camera when suddenly Stella leaps at her and bites her. She didn't bite very hard - my sister just got a little mark, no blood or anything - but the fact that Stella bit my sister when she has been so friendly for two years puzzles me. Any ideas on what might have caused her to do it? I suppose the flash from the camera might have bothered her, as well as the fact that my sister was sitting on Stella's designated spot - right next to me. She does tend to be on the possessive side when it comes to me. But like I said, her way of dealing with things that make her uncomfortable is usually just to run away from them. No harm was done, and Stella is back to her usual sweet and loving self, but the idea of her attacking my sister like that bothers me.

Any thoughts and theories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Oh no, I'd never hit my baby! All I did was say his name loudly, he knew he did wrong. I have finals this week and was in no mood to be sweeping up broken glass...I've since moved all the glass things higher on the tree. I should have thought about it before...but it's not like he doesn't have a whole floor full of toys and mice to play with! I guess the novelty of the tree hasn't worn off yet.
    Well I found out over the years that all of those store bought toys and mice hold no interest to a cat. The wadded up lottery tickets, plastic milk jug rings and foil type candy wrappers are entertaining enough thank you. Also anything out of reach is good for hours of staring.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    Alright, cat psychologists. This is a strange one.

Which is why what happened the other night strikes me as so odd.

My sister was over, and we were sitting together on the couch with Stella (one of my cats) lying on the armrest. My sister was taking a few pics of her with her digital camera when suddenly Stella leaps at her and bites her. She didn't bite very hard - my sister just got a little mark, no blood or anything - but the fact that Stella bit my sister when she has been so friendly for two years puzzles me. Any ideas on what might have caused her to do it? I suppose the flash from the camera might have bothered her, as well as the fact that my sister was sitting on Stella's designated spot - right next to me. She does tend to be on the possessive side when it comes to me. But like I said, her way of dealing with things that make her uncomfortable is usually just to run away from them. No harm was done, and Stella is back to her usual sweet and loving self, but the idea of her attacking my sister like that bothers me.

Any thoughts and theories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'd bet totally that you hit two things on the head- your sister was sitting in her spot, AND a strange blinding flash, coupled with noise that we cannot hear from that camera. Don't let it bother you, just make sure her spot is always JUST FOR HER, my family knows where to sit or not. soooooooo..
    Last edited by just1paul; 12-07-2005 at 07:36 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post

I'd bet totally that you hit two things on the head- your sister was sitting in her spot, AND a strange blinding flash, coupled with noise that we cannot hear from that camera. Don't let it bother you, just make sure her spot is always JUST FOR HER, my family knows where to sit or not. soooooooo..
    Thanks for your input. I'm pretty sure that's it, too. In the future, I'll make sure to tell everyone not to cram her space. Actually, she's lying on her spot as we speak, looking very snug and happy. Her sister is lying on her designated spot in the armchair. (Don't you love it how cats are such creatures of habit? I can totally relate to my cats, since I'm the same way. When I was a kid, I would get really upset if my brother or sister sat on "my" spot of the couch or - God forbid - stole my seat in the kitchen. I never did bite either of them, although I sure felt like it once or twice )
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

geek, I have a cat who loves having his picture taken by SLR, for some reason, but some of the digital cameras and Polaroids emit a high pitched whine that drives him crazy. I know that noise has been mentioned as an agitator, but I thought I would just add a little anecdotal evidence.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

geek - my docile foster has also made as if to bite lately, and it's all due to static. I don't know how it is in your house, but in mine when I touch the bed there's a spark. When a kitty touches me - spark. There could have been a spark that you didn't see that also got the kitty. I sweare, these cats sparkle just walking through my house there's so much static, has been that way for years. (even with a humidifier, just a lot of electricity)

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    This isn't strange, but, as it is that Christmas time of year, what kind of tree can I have that my kitts won't eat! Little Gracie-kins eats real tree needles, gets sick, throws up. Mr. Tootles eats fake tree needles, gets sick, throws up. It would be nice this year to actually have a tree and not have any"one" get sick.

Any suggestions? (other than cardboard, of course!) Tks.

I used to have a cat that loved to chew my houseplants, then promptly throw up on the carpet....until I tried one of those little "kitty grass" kits. It's just grass seed you can grow in a little tray for them to munch on. Maybe it would distract your kitties from the trees?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    ....until I tried one of those little "kitty grass" kits. It's just grass seed you can grow in a little tray for them to munch on. Maybe it would distract your kitties from the trees?
    Thanks Waywyrd! They love catgrass. They get it every winter as a treat until they can get the real stuff after the snow melts.

I found a solution for an Xmas tree substitute. I'm going to use a 4ft silk rose tree I had in the basement. I can put some lights and decorations on it. The star at the top doesn't hold but it'll work. They don't like to chew on it for some reason.

Something my cats like is called Barley Cat made by Green Foods. It's a green powder I sprinkle on their food for a big treat. They love it when grass isn't available as well. Give it to your kitty friends from Santa

Thanks again!

I just discovered my tabby Gracie-kins likes marshmallows. Big jet-puffed marshmallows. She smelled them in the air and then crossed the entire room to get to me. She licks it and then bites it and chews. Too funny. My other cat is not at all interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I just discovered my tabby Gracie-kins likes marshmallows. Big jet-puffed marshmallows. She smelled them in the air and then crossed the entire room to get to me. She licks it and then bites it and chews. Too funny. My other cat is not at all interested in them.

That's cute. Now how would you like to have one of them steal a half of a grilled cheese sandwich? Yesterday for lunch that's what I made, set it on the TV tray to eat, along with some chips. Well as usual Joey swiped a chip (onion & garlic to boot!) I went to the kitchen to get my tea and came back found half of my sandwich gone, joey eating his chip and Mona NOWHERE in sight-- HMM?? Looked around found Mona in the bedroom under my bed licking the sandwich. (the little dickens grabbed the sandwich & ran! .. ) To answer any questions, these two are not starved.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread