+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Cat Behaviour

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giz
    We pulled into the driveway yesterday to be greeted by the sight of beastly cat holding some kind of dead thing in his mouth, waiting at the bottom of the front steps. "oh no, look at that, we'll get out" I said to my son "and we'll run for it." "Run, boy, run" we take off for the back door with the cat in hot pursuit, present in his mouth. We just make it in on time. Why oh why do they do this? When has a person ever wanted a dead rodent for a present? Couldn't he get gift certificates?
    Boy, you sure did give me a great vision of this whole episode!! It's like Cujo, the movie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    Finley, my avatar, is a championship quality killer of birds. I am, in general, not happy about this. I am specifically not happy that he brings them into the house and takes them into the bathtub, which always has the shower curtain closed, and does it in there - his own private killing field. I am then faced with the corpse, which he always removes and drops on the den carpet, and the snowstorm of feathers that I have to vacuum from the tub before I have my shower.

I am extremely happy, however, that Harvey is a championship quality killer of rodents. Them I can live without and there's no vacuuming involved. I did, however, purchase a cheap pair of kitchen tongs to use as a corpse-removal tool. Very handy.
    Kizzy..who resembles Finley.. all black..is our serial killer.
    ANYTHING that moves. Dies. One year she cleaned out the whole neighborhood of bats. Naturally, since she's so proud and needs to show her love.. she brought them all home, alive! That went on for about a year. Just imagine the excitement in the house.. me running around, trying to corner the circling bats, as she's running, flipping and jumping all over everything trying to catch it again! It's a circus.

We call our front yard, The Killing Fields. It's SO embarrassing when the neighbors come over to visit and almost every time, they point out another half eaten mole, or bird. Oh, and always, "awwww...that's so sad." or, "eeeewwwww!!!!!!"

Her dismemberment happens (usually) in the bathroom cuz it's where her inside/outside window is. What perplexes me though.. she eats everysinglething of the animal, except for the liver. I think it's the liver. How in the hell does she know exactly what NOT to eat?! For a while there, and this is no joke (& very sad to see), what would be left is the mouse's head, it's four feet and the liver.
    Needless to say, we've STOPPED kissing her on the lips.

OK. I hafta stop. Typing this out is making me gag.
    Oh, except.. Thanks for the tong idea rattus! I'll definately invest in one.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno.. she brought them all home, [i
    alive[/i]! That went on for about a year. Just imagine the excitement in the house.. me running around, trying to corner the circling bats, as she's running, flipping and jumping all over everything trying to catch it again! It's a circus.
    I will never complain about feathers in the tub again.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

CCL
    Ok, giz, because of previous descriptions, I immediately got a mental image of a furry Stephen Fry crouched & holding something dead in his mouth when I read your post.
    When my sister was in college, every time she came home for break one of our cats used to bring her a dead bird. It was kind of sweet (but wrong at the same time).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    I have a cat who thinks she's a dog. She drinks out of the toilet and plays fetch. We don't kiss her on the lips either. She also kills bugs. And her real name is Pilchard ( my 2 boys picked it ) but she only answers to Miss P.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    Ok, giz, because of previous descriptions, I immediately got a mental image of a furry Stephen Fry crouched & holding something dead in his mouth when I read your post.
    When my sister was in college, every time she came home for break one of our cats used to bring her a dead bird. It was kind of sweet (but wrong at the same time).
    I can't get cross because I know he means well. Though, you know what they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Maybe we should rename him. We got him as an adult, and he was named after a star-trek character which makes us look like total sad trekkies (whereas back in the day we were closeted watchers of the Jean Luc Picard Star Trek). We didn't want to confuse him, so we kept the name. But he looks like an Ernest, or we could just call him Stephen.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I've got a cat situation. I have 2 cats already. Yesterday I came home from work and saw a tiny kitten on my front porch. I tried to grab her, but she scampered off. I looked around and couldn't find her, so I figured she moved on. Then, last night, about 12:30 I was in my computer room (which is in the back of the house) and heard scratching. In the wall. Then meowing. Let me stress this: IN THE WALL. Well, since it was after midnight, I wasn't 1) going in the attic or 2) crawling under the house to fish the kitten out.

So, this a.m., I called Dad, got him to come over and help me. After ripping a hole in the attic floor, destroying the door jamb, and punching several holes in my computer room wall, we got the kitten out. I've kept her in a carrier all day, because I'm not allowing her to socialize with my 2 cats until I get her checked out.

Beyond the destroyed room, my problem are these: first, the kitten will NOT shut up. I've now got her in the carrier locked in the bathroom to at least muffle the noise. But, I figure she's scared and can't help it. But the bigger problem is that my 2 cats are acting really weird. They're hissing at each other, meowing at me in these odd tones, and are generally pissed off. I'm hoping that I can find the kitten a home, but it's been *years* since I had a kitten, and I worry that if I can't find her a home, how I'm going to introduce her to my two and how to deal with a psycho kitten. My 2 were adopted when they were adults, and the other cats my parents have I wasn't around when they were babies.

Any suggestions? Am I going to have to put my two on cat prozac? Anybody know anyone in south Louisiana who wants a really cute orange kitten? I'll deliver! Just keep your walls sealed.

CCL
    They're probably ticked off because they can smell & sense the other cat but she is locked away in the bathroom so they can't see her. I would introduce them. Put her in a carrier and let the other cats look in and sniff at her. The meowing is probably because she is so little - she was probably seperated from her mother too soon. Maybe you could make some cocoon-type structure for her out of blankets or whatever? I know kittens like to be encased (womb issues). And she probably doesn't like to be all alone - kind of scary for her. Good luck, Phonegrrrl!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Thanks CCL; the vet said the same thing about the carrier and it's going pretty well where she's living. My Dad--who was waaay peeved that he had to come help break out the kitten (now called Tiger) from the wall ultimately decided he needed a kitten of his own. There are already 4 cats at my parents' house--two only temporarily--so I was fully prepared to find home for ole Tiger. Turns out I didn't have to look far.

One of my four male cats is gay and he's very picky about who he likes to doing "you-know-what" with one specifically cat but never two another cats. Now, that's "queer". !
    Stop the world! I want to get off!

Young and thriving, I feel infinite. Need I say more?

CCL
    Glad it worked out, Phonegrrl. I'm sure Tiger is happy in her new home.

+ Reply to Thread