+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Cat Behaviour

A cat who looks like Stephen Fry? I love it!

My undying love for Stephen Fry is still very much alive, as you can tell. I suddenly feel like watching Gosford Park... or maybe Jeeves and Wooster along with my cats, who look nothing like him. They're far too petite and cutesy. But I do like the idea of cats resembling celebrities. I wonder which celebrities would be good matches for my kitties? Stella, the wee one, is incredibly pretty, has co-dependence issues every once in a while and - admittedly - not the sharpest tool in the box, intelligence-wise. Any suggestions?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

My cat Rocky (another Rocky), weighed in at 23 lbs. But the vet never considered him overweight because of his bone structure, he was just plain and simple a big cat. He was a Maine Coon cat and some of them can be quite large. He'd live to be 24 years old and passed away gently in his sleep. I miss him so.

We now have two cats, both females, both part Maine Coon, so not as big as Rocky was. One thing though, all them, Rocky included (he was the first cat we ever noticed this with), love green olives. Put down a green olive with a cat treat, cat food, even tuna fish, anything, and they all chose the green olive.

They also treated it the exact same way. Bat it around, play with it until they got the pimento out. Then they'd eat the pimento and then eat the rest of the olive. Is it something with Maine Coon cats and green olives??

The old dried up olives I find under furniture would amaze you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Thanks everybody.

And, yes... there's been a HUGE change. I moved July 1st, but the tub scratching didn't start until a couple weeks ago.

My cats aren't typically very vocal, but they'll get in the tub, start scratching and meow -- LOUDLY, like something's bothering them.

waywyrd, my boys refuse to drink out of a water bowl as well, they insist on a running stream of water which I typically having running in the tub. And when the scratching/meowing occurs, there IS streaming water.

I don't know. . . they just seem unhappy and pissed off at me; they're not sleeping with me anymore, they're meowing MUCH more and have had a couple of accidents in the past week (which is REALLY strange for them as they've always been so good about the litter box).

I've been going through some hard times the last several months. . . perhaps they're *finally* picking up on it? Or maybe they're pissed with not being able to go outside anymore.

I'm taking them to the Vet next week to have them checked out.
    When my mother moved, her cat was a bit out of sorts... Then she kept seeing that the doors to the storage room were open (the type of doors that hinge in the middle panel and you can press to open) all the time after they'd been shut the night before. Well, the cat was going in there to sit on the chairs that had been in the previous house.

Do they have a comfort zone like that? Any items from your last home that has a familiar scent on it? Is it a much smaller place? Do they have a scratching post to use? A corner all their own with a bed and toys? Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Their own little space in the apartment or house, and, some transitional object might help 'em.

When my kitten had to get used to a new place, he hid under the couch for a week. We had to buy risers to prop the sofa up so he had a bit more room under there. After a while, he got used to it though, and now he's happier than ever. Some cats are especially sensitive to change, and it might take a bit for them feel comfortable. As some other posters have mentioned, there could also be a strange noise or smell that is bothering them. I hope they settle in soon.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    My cat LOVES clear plastic. Any clear plastic. Every piece of clear plastic in our house has little holes in it, exactly the size and spacing of our cat's fangs.

I have no idea why she loves clear plastic, though. I'm glad ours isn't the only one!
    Looking through old posts in this thread has me laughing and I really got hysterical when I read this, picturing fang holes in everything clear plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy
    When my mother moved, her cat was a bit out of sorts... Then she kept seeing that the doors to the storage room were open (the type of doors that hinge in the middle panel and you can press to open) all the time after they'd been shut the night before. Well, the cat was going in there to sit on the chairs that had been in the previous house.

Do they have a comfort zone like that? Any items from your last home that has a familiar scent on it? Is it a much smaller place? Do they have a scratching post to use? A corner all their own with a bed and toys? Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Their own little space in the apartment or house, and, some transitional object might help 'em.
    A corner all their own? Hmmm, when I moved into this apartment 8 years ago Mona & Joey walked around the perimeter of it for about 2 hours, hopped on the bed & went to sleep. If I would have relegated them to a corner it would have been a Meowtiny on the bounty. Now onto other things: Recently I bought a new bed, downsizing from a queen size to a full, which reduces the width and length. Joey for the past year or so sleeps at the head of the bed on the left side, while I normally occupy the right. well the loss of the 4 inches of width now causes me to wake up with either A- kitty foot in mouth, Kitty face in face, kitty butt in face or tail slapping face. Oh well I must adapt.
    Last edited by just1paul; 10-23-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    well the loss of the 4 inches of width now causes me to wake up with either A- kitty foot in mouth, Kitty face in face, kitty butt in face or tail slapping face. Oh well I must adapt.
    You're a hoot! I have a great visual of your sleeping practices now. (Why is it us who must adapt? Even in my sleep I'm not going to push the cat around so end up sleeping like a mummy, arms pinned to my side, and legs straight down, so as not to inconvenience cat. Meanwhile, he's sleeping horizontally across the bed, upside down, not a care in the world.)

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    You're a hoot! I have a great visual of your sleeping practices now. (Why is it us who must adapt? Even in my sleep I'm not going to push the cat around so end up sleeping like a mummy, arms pinned to my side, and legs straight down, so as not to inconvenience cat. Meanwhile, he's sleeping horizontally across the bed, upside down, not a care in the world.)
    Thats because we love em and want them to feel comfy and safe, meanwhile I just walked into the bedroom to go to bed, but Mona & Joey are so sprawled out sleeping -yes filling up a full size bed enough so I just went night night, turned the lights off and I'll sleep on the futon in the living room. Well at least it's not going to waste.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Thats because we love em and want them to feel comfy and safe, meanwhile I just walked into the bedroom to go to bed, but Mona & Joey are so sprawled out sleeping -yes filling up a full size bed enough so I just went night night, turned the lights off and I'll sleep on the futon in the living room. Well at least it's not going to waste.
    I do the same. When my cat comes and sleeps on my pillow at night I always end up sleeping straight on the matress just under the pillow so I don't bother him... I love my cat!
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

^LOL!! We all must be like that. There's been nights when I have stayed up late and went up to bed and in a queen size bed, there's my husband, and the two cats, spread out sound asleep. Seeing that there's no way I can get in the bed without disturbing the cats, I end up on the couch in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi
    ^LOL!! We all must be like that. There's been nights when I have stayed up late and went up to bed and in a queen size bed, there's my husband, and the two cats, spread out sound asleep. Seeing that there's no way I can get in the bed without disturbing the cats, I end up on the couch in the living room.
    I sense you wouldn't mind disturbing the hubby, but lets not disturb the felines!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

+ Reply to Thread