+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Cat Behaviour

Jewelsy - They WILL get over not going outside. The scratching and meowing with the water running most likely means they hear something that irritates them. (Plumbing can make noises that we do not hear, such as whistling, screeching etc.) Their "accidents" are most likely their way of telling you somethings bugging them. If you don't already change the litter every two or three days, but do scoop it daily, try cleaning the box and changing the litter more. If the box is now in a different space, the odors may be more noticable to them. When I moved to this apartment, I had to clean/change every 2 days, now i do it about every 3 days. If I didn't or don't Joey goes to wherever I am, hunches down and acts like he is going to pee. I say OK OK I'll clean the box, I do it, he waits and then uses the box.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I scoop their box out twice a day, and change the litter every three or four days, so their litter box is almost ALWAYS clean. I have to do this because the box sits right next to me (next to my computer desk).

As far as the plumbing goes, that *could* be the problem, but I've been running the water in the tub since I moved in (July 1st) and they've just started up with this weird scratching.

Another thing they've been doing much more frequently is grooming themselves. Like they itch or something. They put in brand new carpet before I moved in, so I highly doubt it's fleas. I've had two different friends come over and check them for fleas, and none were found, nor any droppings. It's almost like they're doing it because they're nervous.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

It could be drier where you live now than before, or even after 2 months, they could still be "marking" their territory by transferring the oils from their pads and fur to different parts of your home, hence the more frequent grooming and "scratching". Could you run a trickle of water anywhere else safely, and shut off the tub to see if it stops in a few days?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I still live 1/2 block from the beach so where I am now isn't any drier.

I'll try leaving the bathroom sink trickle and see if that helps. Thanks.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

for your kitties, Jewels. When the weather turns cold they'll get cuddlier, I bet.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

CCL
    When we moved our cat got so upset he licked the fur right off of his tummy. It was very distressing - we took him to the vet and the vet said it was his way of coping with his fear. I think he got some sort of salve, if I remember correctly, from the vet. My other cat, when he got older and we wouldn't let him out anymore because of his deteriorating health, used to pee in the corner to make sure his displeasure was felt by all. Aw, the sweeties, they can be so distressing and it would be so much easier if they could tell us what was wrong and what to do! I hope everything is okay with your cats, Jewelsy.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Hey Jewls - you mentioned a new carpet, that could be a culprit. CAts are sensitive and in contact with it more than you, was the carpeting glued or nailed? What type is it? They could have developed an allergy, or something could be irritating them about it.

Here's a weird habit of one of my fosters (besides her allowing you only two pets, if you try to give her a third scritch, stroke, whatever it results in a bite) she jumps at the wall ALL NIGHT! There is a street light outside, and it shines through the curtain leaving a little spot on the wall - all night she jumps at that darn little spot, lunging and scraping the wall on the way down. When I have the trampoline out she loves to jump on to the trampoline and launch herself against the wall! This is why her name is Bobo.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I had a cat when I was younger and as he got older he would refuse to poop in the litter box, no matter what litter we tried, where we put the box or how often we cleaned it. He would go hop in the bathtub, scratch around for awhile and then poop in the tub. We never could break him of this habit and like I said he was really old. We just always had to clean up the poop and then scrub-a-dub-dub the tub.
    The things we do for our kitties!!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I love that the FORT is a bunch of kitty and dog loving people. BTW - I took Mona in last month for her checkup (she's the 12 yr old Tabby) because she systematically "barbered" her hindquarters, not to the point of sores, but anyway the vet is having me try changing her diet, as she said generally Mona may have a food allergy. Now I need to keep Joey on IAMS and WELLNESS because he is prone to urinary tract blockages, and the magnesium in these products is where I need it, and take Mona OFF of those. Now YOU try feeding a cat that needs regular food and be ready the MOMENT she is done to grab the bowl or plate so MR. 17 pounds doesn't run & jump up in a FLASH to SCARF down the "yummy" food, like he hasn't eaten in a month.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Aw, Mona is ADORABLE, Gabriel! One of the cutest cats I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot of cute cats My babies are all black, but I love tabbies as well.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread