+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Trick or Treat

I never kept count but we probably get in the neighborhood of 150 kids trick or treating. We live in a development but the surrounding area is rather rural with houses far apart fom each other so many parents drive their kids to our development to trick or treat.

Like some others, I also get annoyed with the 16 and 17 year olds. Last year two boys came to the door who must have been at least 17 (one of them had a full blown five o'clock shadow). These two bozos were in costumes and had bags to keep their candy in. I don't know, but when I was 17 I was more interested in other types of treats than Halloween candy .
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Finally Here, and others....as the parent of 3 teenagers who still costume up and trick-or-treat....I'm glad they still have that innocent joy. Other kids go out egging and baloneying cars (strips the paint). Which would you rather have your kid doing? Or maybe they should just stay home moping because everyone else is having fun and not them?
    Count your blessings!

We get zero. We went out trick or treating the first year we moved to our house, but not since then. People just are not prepared, so it is pointless. We do go to University dormitories though when they have a trick or treat evening there. (And I am glad they do have it.) This year it appears to be on Friday already. Very early, but I guess then the kids have all weekend to munch on loot.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Finally Here, and others....as the parent of 3 teenagers who still costume up and trick-or-treat....I'm glad they still have that innocent joy. Other kids go out egging and baloneying cars (strips the paint). Which would you rather have your kid doing? Or maybe they should just stay home moping because everyone else is having fun and not them?
    I would give candy to a fifty-year-old who took the time to dress up and ring my doorbell. Once a year, a few cents worth of candy, what's the big deal as long as they're not disturbing the little ones?

We don't get too many trick or treaters either and I wish we did. I love Halloween. I don't mind if older kids come to the door as long as they're dreesed up. I hate it when people come with no costume or very little and they want candy. If you're all into it, no matter what age, then it's cool

FH, were you going door to door for those "treats' at 17

FORT Fogey
    When I was in college, I dressed up as a ghost and went trick or treating, my friends drove me around. It was weird...
    The young mothers were the most suspicious and peppered me with questions about where I lived and who was driving me around.
    One old man tweaked my nose, and said "my, aren't you a big goblin."
    I finally quit when a cute little old lady who had run out of candy, gave me a quarter. I didn't know what to do, so I put it in her mailbox. I couldn't take some lady's retirement money.

BTW, we get LOADS of trick-or-treaters now. Probably payback for taking all that candy when I was in college.

I live on a country road in a small town, so no trick-or-treaters. The cub scouts run a haunted house in an old church in town, and the Elks throw a Halloween party so that's where everyone takes their kids.

My siblings and I take all our kids back to my folks house. Only about 20 houses on their road, but growing up about 15 of the houses had kids all around the same age. Its become tradition for all of us who grew up together to bring our children (all their parents still live there, too) together every Halloween for trick-or-treating and to catch up on things - say hello to everyone's parents, etc.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Growing up in the country, we were always driven around for trick or treating to my parent's friend's homes. Once we'd done that they let us loose in the little village we lived on the outskirts of and we always had a ball! I went out (always dressed up) until I was 16. Once we moved, it just wasn't the same.

I too don't care the age so long as they took the time to actually put some effort into a costume. A pair of jeans, sweatshirt & a mask just don't do it - unless they're Freddy Krueger.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I knew I kept this email Sunday for a reason!

From AOL Living Tips: Make Your Pumpkin
    Last Longer
    After you've turned your pumpkin into a jack-o'-lantern, rub all of the cut surfaces with petroleum jelly. It will help seal in the moisture and keep it from drying out and wrinkling.
    Thanks Broadway! I'll make that one hundred and one uses for petroleum jelly.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

FORT Regular
    I grew up in Wisconsin, and it was cold as crap come Halloween. My folks always made me wear my winter coat over my costume, but that was in the day of costumes with masks, so it alright. The thing I hated most was the inside of the mask would get all drippy with condensation from my breath. One year I wore my brother's former Devil mask, this scary red face with a fake moustache and goatee. It stunk so bad by the end of trick-or-treating I wore it on top my head.

+ Reply to Thread