+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Cleaning Oven

Self Cleaning Oven

I need advice!

How does a self cleaning oven work? I purchased a GE Spectra stove/oven with all the push buttons, etc. It has a self cleaning feature. There is a manual that I can't get to at the moment due to some work going on in my home. The oven says to just lock the door and press the self clean button. Is that really it? Will it truly clean all the little spills and the stuff splattered on the door? Do I need to do anything afterward? This is one of those silly situations where I have probably over analyzed a very easy process.

My self cleaning oven is pretty easy. I just push the self clean button, set the timer for 2 or 3 hours and leave it alone. It does smell like burning stuff so turn on your fan. The process leaves a pile of ash in the oven. So when it's done, I brush out the ash with some dry paper towel and then wipe it a little with just a damp paper towel.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    I need advice!

This is one of those silly situations where I have probably over analyzed a very easy process.
    You said it not us...
    If yours is like most of them, yes, just push the button (set the dial, whatever) let it go through the cleaning cycle, and when you are sure it's cool enough to mess with, wipe the inside with a damp cloth (there's usually some ashy residue where the little spills burned up, but it's not messy, about like cigarette ash)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

The "self-cleaning" option is just a REALLY hot oven for a couple of hours. Just press and go.

I wish someone would invent self cleaning showers. :rolleyes

Autism Awareness Ribbon greycoatonawitc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    I wish someone would invent self cleaning showers. :rolleyes

along with a self cleaning house.
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Funny story about a self cleaning oven and the fact that it bakes the spills off at uber heat....I had a situation where I baked some spaghetti bread (like garlic toast) and it was a case of "I thought my husband cleaned the kitchen after dinner"....what happened was, the thing started cleaning, and smoking, and smoking and my husband began opening the doors and windows while all the time I was insisting it was just "cleaning"....anyway, after I finally agreed that it was a little too much smoke coming out of it (hence, smoke alarms buzzing), I turned it off and opened it up only to realize I had 3 pieces of charcoal in the shape of toast and a cookie sheet with 3 black permanent outlines of the toast left on it. Obviously, he forget the toast, I forgot the toast and I didn't look in there before I turned it on either. So, the moral of my story is, make sure you don't leave anything too big to burn off in there.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Ineeda fire extinguisher.... Ah, yes, we live and learn. When I was 19, I was living in my first apartment with a girlfriend. I was never much of a cook, so I put some cheap steaks in the broiler, and she and I went just outside the front door chatting. Suddenly we were aware of a lot of smoke coming out the kitchen window and open door, ran inside, and found the grease from the steak was flaming in the broiler. I threw some flour on it (knew enough not to throw water on because of a grease fire mishap when I was 12~another story~some other time ), and then had a horrible mess to clean up. I learned a valuable lesson.....don't leave the kitchen when broiling.

I consider self-cleaning ovens and frost-free refrigerator/freezers two of the best inventions EVER.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Truthfully, I've never had much luck with self-cleaning ovens. I've had one before, and when I used the function my entire house smelled AWFUL for hours (headache awful) - eventually had to leave the house/open all the windows.

I haven't even tried with this oven - I just use a spray cleaner instead.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

I only used mine once because the fumes gave me asthma.

I have also heard that the fumes can kill birds and fish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast