+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self Cleaning Oven

i agree Catt, i only used mine once for the same reason. i decided it was easier to clean up spills as they occured then to ever use the self cleaning feature again.

bjb

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    Funny story about a self cleaning oven and the fact that it bakes the spills off at uber heat....I had a situation where I baked some spaghetti bread (like garlic toast) and it was a case of "I thought my husband cleaned the kitchen after dinner"....what happened was, the thing started cleaning, and smoking, and smoking and my husband began opening the doors and windows while all the time I was insisting it was just "cleaning"....anyway, after I finally agreed that it was a little too much smoke coming out of it (hence, smoke alarms buzzing), I turned it off and opened it up only to realize I had 3 pieces of charcoal in the shape of toast and a cookie sheet with 3 black permanent outlines of the toast left on it. Obviously, he forget the toast, I forgot the toast and I didn't look in there before I turned it on either. So, the moral of my story is, make sure you don't leave anything too big to burn off in there.
    That is so funny Ineeda.

Thanks for the advice and stories everyone. Roses...that frost free freezer might be the start of my next thread. I have a GE Profile that is getting a bit frosty!

I think I will try the self cleaning feature this afternoon to see how well it works. Hopefully, I won't get too many fumes as some of you have mentioned. I knew I could count on my FORTfriends for the answer.

After reading this thread, I was almost ready to consider my oven's self-cleaning mode - which to be honest, I've never even considered (even THAT is too much cleaning for me!). Then I read the fish and bird part. I have both, plus kittens and an asthma-prone dog. And a son with allergies. So - nah.
    Count your blessings!

Autism Awareness Ribbon greycoatonawitc's Avatar
    there is a trick to cleaning your oven. if something boils over....pour salt on it right away. when you are done cooking and our oven is cool...the spill just brushes off. i haven't tried this but my sister swears by this method.
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

There is something sinister about self-cleaning ovens that reminds me of the ovens in Aushchwitz, how the door locks, the extreme temperature, the smell, and the little piles of ash afterwards. I managed to spill water on the glass on the front of the oven, somehow, while in cleaning mode, and the glass cracked.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    I threw some flour on it (knew enough not to throw water on because of a grease fire mishap when I was 12~another story~some other time
    Rose, you are ao lucky to be alive. that flour could have exploded in your face. flour is highly flammable. remember if it lived, it burns, You should throw baking soda on a fire, not flour or sugar. I saw an example were a candle was in a coffee can and they threw a handful of flour. a fireball like an atombomb going off blew out of the can.

Yikes! joeguy, I have actually thrown flour twice on grease fires. Both of these experiences happened a very long time ago, so I don't remember if they flared more when I did that, but I'll take your word for it. I now have two fire extinguishers in my kitchen, and have schooled teen Rose how to use them, so hopefully I've got my bases covered. I have never heard about this, thanks.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I just cleaned my fairly new self-cleaning oven for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it stunk to high heaven. However, my instruction book indicated that with multiple cleanings, the smell would decrease.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Yikes! joeguy, I have actually thrown flour twice on grease fires. Both of these experiences happened a very long time ago, so I don't remember if they flared more when I did that, but I'll take your word for it. I now have two fire extinguishers in my kitchen, and have schooled teen Rose how to use them, so hopefully I've got my bases covered. I have never heard about this, thanks.

oh yeah, why do you think those grain storage buildings ( grain elevators they are called) blow up? from the dust from the wheat and corn that they store in there. one nice spark and you have a new place to put another building. O h and heres another good one, a steel wool pad for finishing metal. light a match to it and see how much it burns too! for the slight amount of rust on it. goes up like a candle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12