+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autumn or Fall ?

Autumn or Fall ?

I've always thought that in N.America, what we Europeans know as Autumn is called Fall, however I download scenic pictures for my desktop titled Autumn ..... etc from a US site. Does anyone know why?

No idea....but I do use both terms.

I just know...other then elections and less daylight...I love this time of year.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I use both, honestly It's my favorite time of the year, especially here in Kentucky with all the foliage turning color, it's stunning. Funny how I find beauty in what amounts to the death of leaves.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I use both, also. Mostly I just say Fall, though.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Thanks everyone for the info. Got to agree, I love all the autumnal colours at this time of year. Just a pity it gets so cold!

I use both, mostly Fall, though. I love the phrase "Autumnal Equinox".
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I prefer "autumn." Such a pretty word... I think it captures the feeling of the season.

You do hear "fall" more often in the US, however. For example, this term is called the "fall semester," never "autumn semester." That would sound strange here.

PS: Yes, I love the colors! I'm spending the season in the Midwest for the first time ever, and it's cold but the reds and oranges look so nice against a gray sky.

Leo
    Premium Member
    When are the seasons in the US? I honestly have no idea - except for winter, which is around December/January.

It really depends where you are in the US. In San Francisco, we only have two seasons: mild (most of the year) and mild + rain (December thru March).

Leo
    Premium Member
    What I meant to really as is when I keep reading stuff that says, "this happened in the summer of (insert year)", I have no idea when that took place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast