+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autumn or Fall ?

Hmmm...well, I like saying Autumn because the word sounds good. But, I usually wind up saying Fall because it's shorter and it comes to mind faster, for some reason.

Oh, sorry! The seasons begin around the 20th-22nd of September (Fall), December (Winter), March (Spring), and June (Summer), respectively.

I use both Fall and Autumn and I teach my kids both. They are interchangable as far as I'm concerned.

Leo in Canada we joke that we have 2 seasons .. winter and construction
    But in actuality we have 4. I'm in northern Ontario and we have...
    Autumn Sept 22-Dec 22 starts out mild 24C but by Dec we are into -5C or so with rain and snow.
    Winter Dec 23-March 21 temps range from 0C to -40C with loads of snow - most of it falling after Jan
    Spring March 22 - June 21 temps try to get above 0C then by June they are back at 24C with lots of rain
    Summer June 22- Sept 22 temps start at 24C and can get as high as 42C not much rain
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Autumn, because it has a more poetic ring to it. However, when I speak to Americans I tend to go with fall, just like I exchange, say, tram for streetcar or petrol for gas. I suppose it's one of the characteristics of having a good command on English but being neither British (or Australian for that matter) nor American/Canadian.

Coincidentally, one of my all-time favourite words is "autumnal". It is a gorgeous word.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I use both and I'm teaching my kids both too, just so they know it's the same thing. I tend to say fall more though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    in Canada we joke that we have 2 seasons .. winter and construction
    We use that in Michigan, too.

Another one of our favorites is "If you don't like the weather, wait two days."

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by erin_dye
    We use that in Michigan, too.

Another one of our favorites is "If you don't like the weather, wait two days."
    In Houston, we say "if you don't like the weather, wait about thirty minutes"

I use both as well, but mostly Fall. We also only have two seasons mostly....a looooonnnnngg hot summer and a brief bout of winter with a few weeks of milder weather sprinkled in between. (And to define "winter", yeah its cold for us thinner skinned types, but it is rarely below freezing for those of you up north-I think I've seen freezing rain but never snow in my whole life) No red foliage either We go from green to brown very quickly.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I also use both, but tend to use fall more often. It is a beautiful time of the year, too bad it gets so cold.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I'm an "autumn" girl all the way.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

I'm a Fall person. I rarely say Autumn...don't know why.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast