+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Medicine

Alternative Medicine

I do not own a single crystal. Nor would I call myself a student of Eastern philosophy or healing. However, I have become a big fan of accupuncture.

In April 2003, I developed a problem which I will spare you a detailed description of. Suffice it to say that my oh so kind and sensitive friends called me Bill the Cat and would ask how my hairballs were. I can't blame them because it was exactly what I imagine hairballs must feel like except it was constant. To make it worse, coughing can trigger your gag reflex (or at least mine). So anyway, I went to the doctor after about a week. The doctor was convinced it must be the result of a sinus infection so he prescribed an antibiotic. That didn't work nor did the next two antibiotics (including one really powerful and expensive one). Next the doctor decided it must be allergy related (I'm allergic to dust and dust mites). As a result, I got prescribed Flonase and told to take Claritin. That helped a little but not much.

By April 2004, I had decided I was cursed and just hoped it would go away someday. At that point, someone suggested accupuncture. Despite the fact that I'm not a big fan of needles, I decided that I had nothing to lose. I can't tell you how glad I am that I did. I still have some symptoms but only once or twice a day and not for too long. Besides, I don't really feel the needles and I get to sprawl out on a massage table in a warm dark room with no noise for 45 minutes at a time. Hard to object to that.

I still have faith in conventional medicine but will never rule out trying something else if it doesn't work. I'm curious about other people's experiences with alternative medicine. Anyone?
    Last edited by Mariner; 10-22-2004 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Edited to remove my plea. Thanks for fixing my mistake.

Autism Awareness Ribbon greycoatonawitc's Avatar
    My husband and I take our sons with Autism to the Chiropractor. we also take our daughter that suffers from bad allergies. We have seen great improvement in all the kids. I was having headaches for years (I couldn't remember a day when i didn't have a headache & take meds for it....the headache meds were destroying my stomache.) come to find out, my neck was misaligned causing my headaches. After a few visits, my headaches were gone.

my mother does accupuncture for her back. A close family friend went on a holistic juice diet and beat breast cancer (we didn't agree with her doing that but she remained under a doctors care.)
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

I have acupuncture every week and I love it. I started going for lower back pain which has greatly improved, but I keep going for how balanced it makes me feel. It has helped with headaches, other back and neck pain, stress, sinus troubles and colds.

It also helps that the woman who I go to is a good listener and has a very soothing touch. Luckily, my inusrance covers it, otherwise I wouldn't be able to go as often. I've had a very good experience with it and highly recommend it to others.

I have a friend whose sister used it to help with drug addiction and has been off drugs permanently for over 6 years now.
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

My uncle used it to stop smoking and he's still smokefree today.... (It must've been about 20 years or so since then.... I remember being a kid when he did it and I thought it sounded awful and didn't understand what that meant, but obviously it did SOMETHING cause he's been a non-smoker ever since )
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

I got a Q-Ray bracelet from an infomercial with the firm intention of returning it within 30 days if not fully satisfied. I had almost no range of motion in my right shoulder and constant pain. I mean, putting on a bra was almost impossible for me. Some basic bathroom moves were horribly painful, too. I also had had bad knees for over a decade and was starting to get pain in my hands, especially knitting and typing. After 2 days with the Q-Ray all those symptoms were gone. All of them. I have full range of motion and no pain in my shoulder. I jaunt up stairs. I knit and type constantly. I can scratch the center of my back. It works with the same flow of chi that acupuncture does. My mom wanted to try wearing it when she came out to visit and after one day of not wearing it all my symptoms came back and I had to make her give it back. She got one herself.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by greycoatonawitc
    My husband and I take our sons with Autism to the Chiropractor. we also take our daughter that suffers from bad allergies. We have seen great improvement in all the kids.
    It really helps with your sons? i have a son that just turned 12 and he has a mild form of autism, i wonder if it would help him... Can you tell me more? My son does fairly well at home because we understand what to do but he has problems at school, i think mainly because they do not understand him and he does not understand them and he does not care to understand them... (i know that sounds bad but he never sees that he has a problem, they have a problem, lol) Things seem to get harder every year for him, he has the smarts to do the work but he gets distracted by all the changes and by the time he gets used to the routine they change it. He HATES change... i would love to hear more about this, and then to see if it is something that might help my son.

As for alternative medicine... i have never tried acupuncture or chiropractors but i do use herbs. i discovered some herbs that work better for me then some perscription drugs. i have several books and allot of times i go to them first before going to a doctor.

bjb

I have never tried any alternative medicine. Both my daughter and I are blessed with good health. I have allergies, but they aren't so bad that I need to seek medical advice.

I do have a friend who swears by her chiropractor. She has back problems and he worked wonders with her. My only worry is whenever one of her kids is sick she runs right to the chiropractor first. Even when they show signs of strep.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Greycoat and bjb - my heart goes out to you. My sister has a son with autism and it's not easy. How young are your sons, Greycoat? Did they take to it right away? Do they cooperate on the visits? I'd like to recommend this to my sister if you really think it helps. Can you be more specific in what ways it helps? My nephew is 6.
    Count your blessings!

Autism Awareness Ribbon greycoatonawitc's Avatar
    my twins are 6. after they get adjusted, they seem to be a little more focused. the chiropractor did a heat measure of the boys back and necks to see if there was a misalignment (where it's not aligned the spine rubs creating heat.) one of my guys, is always trying to get naked but after a trip to the chiropractor...he put clothes on. it's almost like he is feeling cold for the first time. both boys had misaligned necks.

they didn't like going to the chiro at first (they are really tickleish) but after a few visits it became old hat for them.
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

Thanks Greycoat. I'll pass the info onto my sister.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast