+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 135

Thread: Alternative Medicine

  1. #51
    nesting Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In my garden.
    Posts
    605
    I have two stories one short and one long.

    Short one first. I used to go for massage regularly. My regular massage therapist went on maternity so I tried a new lady. Her approach was different, she was very efficient but her touch wasn't invasive and I was used to the no pain - no gain mentality. Yet her massages were the only ones that left me exhausted and hung over. One thing I could NEVER have done is my feet. I have high arches and they always hurt. No touch is pleasant, they are very sensitive. She cautiously mentioned that she practiced reiki and explained what that was: force field, energy or something or other. Sounded like the kind of flaky stuff that massage therapists can embrace. She was in her mid-forties and had just left her job as a paralegal to follow her calling. OK, I went with it. She said that she had noticed a yellow aura around my middle and I should see a doctor. (I had a tumour!) She did some reiki on my feet and since that time I love a foot massage! But gently. Something occurred with her.

    Second: I have allergies, not just the sniffly kind (that too) but the whole body kind. It's more of a drag as I got older because all the specialists were pediatricians! I never got the memo that I was supposed to outgrow this. Anyway years of steroids, etc. and I can mostly control it. Then 5 years ago I turn red, really red. Bright enough that people stop and ask if I'm okay and if I should go to the hospital red. Great for the vanity. *sigh* Anyway I go to the GP who is more or less useless because allergies are a benign thing that don't get much attention in medical school. So I go on oral steroids and am not happy (they give me a moon face, it's still red but now it's ROUND and red!) I want to find out why I am red and all I get is "don't worry this will help, it won't come back." (2 years later when I learned what caused this and confronted him, he admitted he just didn't know what to do. I have serious food allergies and he said he learned a lesson... I'm off topic.) Steroids and two other things he gave me did nothing. I had hives all over and was shining like a fresh sunburn. And my face feels hot! One lady at a bank wanted to touch it! Yuck. Anyway during this time, I made an appointment with my acupuncturist for my hip. I rarely see the 'big cheese' himself (which is fine because I can't understand him anyway), I usually get set up and left alone by one of the young ladies or his cutie-pie assistant. Anyway, I'm sitting in the waiting room when Dr. Aung comes flying out "You are so hot I can feel you down the hall. I can not work, come here!" This man is so small and usually quiet, but talks very fast -- I could have just died on the spot. So I go into his office (feeling quite intimidated and flustered) 'take off top and sit in chair' he had to say it three times before I understood it and then I just didn't know WHAT to do so I took off my top and sat in the chair! A young lady came in the room with a tinkling tray of little jars and he lit a candle and applied the 'cups' to my back and front of my chest. It wasn't 5 minutes and ALL my heat was gone. I couldn't believe the hickies!! I was a regular colour for almost two months!

    I am a firm believer that there is more to our bodies than present science understands.
    Last edited by Kennedy; 02-25-2006 at 03:09 AM.
    home at last

  2. #52
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    I have two stories one short and one long.

    Short one first. I used to go for massage regularly. My regular massage therapist went on maternity so I tried a new lady. Her approach was different, she was very efficient but her touch wasn't invasive and I was used to the no pain - no gain mentality. Yet her massages were the only ones that left me exhausted and hung over. One thing I could NEVER have done is my feet. I have high arches and they always hurt. No touch is pleasant, they are very sensitive. She cautiously mentioned that she practiced reiki and explained what that was: force field, energy or something or other. Sounded like the kind of flaky stuff that massage therapists can embrace. She was in her mid-forties and had just left her job as a paralegal to follow her calling. OK, I went with it. She said that she had noticed a yellow aura around my middle and I should see a doctor. (I had a tumour!) She did some reiki on my feet and since that time I love a foot massage! But gently. Something occurred with her.

    Second: I have allergies, not just the sniffly kind (that too) but the whole body kind. It's more of a drag as I got older because all the specialists were pediatricians! I never got the memo that I was supposed to outgrow this. Anyway years of steroids, etc. and I can mostly control it. Then 5 years ago I turn red, really red. Bright enough that people stop and ask if I'm okay and if I should go to the hospital red. Great for the vanity. *sigh* Anyway I go to the GP who is more or less useless because allergies are a benign thing that don't get much attention in medical school. So I go on oral steroids and am not happy (they give me a moon face, it's still red but now it's ROUND and red!) I want to find out why I am red and all I get is "don't worry this will help, it won't come back." (2 years later when I learned what caused this and confronted him, he admitted he just didn't know what to do. I have serious food allergies and he said he learned a lesson... I'm off topic.) Steroids and two other things he gave me did nothing. I had hives all over and was shining like a fresh sunburn. And my face feels hot! One lady at a bank wanted to touch it! Yuck. Anyway during this time, I made an appointment with my acupuncturist for my hip. I rarely see the 'big cheese' himself (which is fine because I can't understand him anyway), I usually get set up and left alone by one of the young ladies or his cutie-pie assistant. Anyway, I'm sitting in the waiting room when Dr. Aung comes flying out "You are so hot I can feel you down the hall. I can not work, come here!" This man is so small and usually quiet, but talks very fast -- I could have just died on the spot. So I go into his office (feeling quite intimidated and flustered) 'take off top and sit in chair' he had to say it three times before I understood it and then I just didn't know WHAT to do so I took off my top and sat in the chair! A young lady came in the room with a tinkling tray of little jars and he lit a candle and applied the 'cups' to my back and front of my chest. It wasn't 5 minutes and ALL my heat was gone. I couldn't believe the hickies!! I was a regular colour for almost two months!

    I am a firm believer that there is more to our bodies than present science understands.
    Wow, I would like to know more about your allergies. I have been suffering for years starting each Feb. and lasting until about June. I live in Florida and Feb. starts allergy season. I don't get stuffy, but I get feeling sick, fatigued, depressed, my skin feels hot to the touch (I haven't turned red yet).
    I've been saying for years that I think its allergy related and everyone looks at me like I have 2 heads.
    I also have food allergies, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is I am allergic too. I get hives sometimes after eating, but its not always after eating, say tomatos. I can eat them one day and be fine and then another day and get hives.

    I've heard of cupping, but would like to know more.

    I'm glad you got some relief.
    I get hives from accupuncture. The accupuncturist said it was the first time she had ever seen that. But I have always gotten a hive at any "puncture" site I get, like a scratch or shot or sandspur.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  3. #53
    nesting Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In my garden.
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Wow, I would like to know more about your allergies. I have been suffering for years starting each Feb. and lasting until about June. I live in Florida and Feb. starts allergy season. I don't get stuffy, but I get feeling sick, fatigued, depressed, my skin feels hot to the touch (I haven't turned red yet).
    Sounds like allergy symptoms to me. I get fevers that can last three weeks (after 3-4 days I can function though). I am allergic to a wide variety of things. So many that I am always exposed to something that will affect me. (It's bloody tedious!) I am an atopic person: if I'm not allergic to it, give me time I'll become allergic I was born this way. Have you tried any antihistamines? My DH takes a Reactine everyday, I chose that for him because it is not metabolized through the liver. He takes one with two sinus Advil with breakfast. I use a prescription (doxepin) that works to suppress my 'pinkness'. In higher doses it's used as an antidepressant, I take a really low dose and, to my eternal relief, it works about 90% of the time. It works on the sympathetic nervous system or something like that. I have to admit, because I've always reacted to something or other, I don't give it as much attention as I should. Mostly I just ignore it as much as I can. With the exception of some of the food allergies, ignoring those brought me grief (and I'm terrified of anaphylaxis).

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I also have food allergies, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is I am allergic too. I get hives sometimes after eating, but its not always after eating, say tomatos. I can eat them one day and be fine and then another day and get hives.
    I'm allergic to nuts, grains, dairy, some veg and fruit, eggs, and a bunch of other items. I have learned that I can react to something I am not allergic to because of contaminents, e.g., pesticides or mold. Buying organic really helps. Mold is a sneaky bugger, it's in chocolates, prepackaged foods, dried spices and pepper (and house plant soils too.)

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I've heard of cupping, but would like to know more.
    I'm glad you got some relief.
    I get hives from accupuncture. The accupuncturist said it was the first time she had ever seen that. But I have always gotten a hive at any "puncture" site I get, like a scratch or shot or sandspur.
    I don't know much about cupping, anything I've read up on it just sounded flakey to me. The theory behind it is too counterintuitive to what I know or believe about the body. BUT, it works! In the end I learned that I could no longer ignore my food allergies and that I was allergic to formaldehyde, which presented it's own set of challenges (it seems to be in everything!)

    Your hives at the needle site is not unheard of. When I have my skin-prick test they always perform a clean prick to gauge the level of response as a benchmark. Alot of people react to the skin-prick. If you try acupuncture again, try taking an antihistamine 45 minutes before your visit and see if that makes a difference for you.

    The most important advice about allergy that I can share is that it is one of the few things that you treat BEFORE you get symptoms. Avoidance to the allergen when possible, and when medication not. If you're symptoms begin in February, then the last week of January begin your anti-histamine regime. Cut the process off before it can start, because once it's got its hold on you it's much harder to deal with. Conventional wisdom doesn't give allergy the importance it deserves. It is so much more than a stuffy nose and scratchy throat (two things I rarely get). I am in a constant state of inflammation and it is just starting to be understood that inflammation is bad for the body -- and the heart. (I cannot get life insurance because of it.) A theory of why our life span is almost double that of 100 years or so ago holds that it is due to our ability to 'cure' inflammation (advent of aspirin, antibiotics, etc.). LINK to article.

    I wish you good health myrosiedog!
    home at last

  4. #54
    FORT Newbie Bevinlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    2
    My friend told me about Colloidal Silver. It is: anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and a anti-microbial catalyst. It can be put in the eyes, ears, throat and onto skin. If this stuff works for you it's amazing. It is also safe to use on pets.

  5. #55
    Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I get hives from accupuncture. The accupuncturist said it was the first time she had ever seen that. But I have always gotten a hive at any "puncture" site I get, like a scratch or shot or sandspur.

    Just came from the acupuncturist. I asked him about this and he had a couple of thoughts. You might have already covered this. Try a different brand of needle. Some needles are coated with silicone. Also there are gold plated needles. That might help. I once during a series of test was having a reacting and they had to change to pure gold ones - worked perfect. Hope you can find a solution!

  6. #56
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893
    INteresting ideas Mimzy and Kennedy.

    I have a metal allergy and can only wear gold jewelry, so wonder if that is it. hmmmmm

    And Kennedy, your post was very enlighening. Thanks. I am going to do more research.

    Thanks to the both of you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #57
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    ... She cautiously mentioned that she practiced reiki and explained what that was: force field, energy or something or other. Sounded like the kind of flaky stuff that massage therapists can embrace.
    I just happen to have my certificates in Reiki. I'm not a master though. It's a very non-invasive way of treating things. (It works through clothes.) You can also "do it" long distance. Animals really like it too! I only learned it for myself, family, pets and friends. It's had some wonderful healing effects on people. It's difficult to explain and isn't as concrete as taking a pill or putting in a needle as it deals with the energy of the body and that in the universe. For some reason, I think it is very effective on people who tend to be sensitive to North American medicine.

    Cupping for accupuncture is very effective and very fast. It takes out heat. The opposite is moxibustion which puts in heat. Depends on your problem.

    Glad to see you are open-minded enough to try out different holistic remedies. Various things work on various people. And your practitioner should be certified in what they do.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  8. #58
    nesting Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In my garden.
    Posts
    605
    misskitty

    I feel bad about writing that 'flaky stuff' comment, but that's how I used to think. That was very limiting for me. Please do not be offended, I feel terrible that I could have offended you! Linda (the massage therapist I mentioned) turned me around and opened up my mind to alternative therapies. I was a complete cynic until she performed Reiki on me.

    A few years later on, my dog fell very ill and there is NOTHING I wouldn't do for him. We needed drive to the Western college of Veterinery medicine in Saskatoon for emergency treatment and asked the fellow who worked at the healthfood store to come and perform Reiki on Max (my dog.) This fellow is someone I had known (through the store) for over a year and, through our interactions and the comments of others, I felt confident in my request. The morning of our departure he arrived with his wife and we all sat quietly. Then he began to speak, and instead of calming topics he told the tale of his life as an aboriginal in Australia. How until he was in his late teens he was classified as part of the flora and fauna and not as a human. He told of all the ill treatment he received and the abuses of his family. I didn't know what to do, this man obviously had a lot of pain and it needed to come out. My poor dog was getting all this energy though! I was compassionate and talked with him about his ordeal, but I feared for my little dog. In the end, Max became well again but I never exposed myself to Reiki again. When I consider how well it worked in the right hands, I didn't like the idea of being in the wrong hands.

    I've recently moved to the island and went to a massage therapist who was terrible! Actually so bad I was sure she was a fraud. It was a very uncomfortable experience and of course I never said a word. Recalling my experience with Linda in this thread though makes me want to keep looking.

    You sound very knowledgeable about the positive therapies I have tried. Any chance (hoping here) that you're on Vancouver Island?
    home at last

  9. #59
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    ...I feel terrible that I could have offended you! .....
    Not to worry! I'm not offended at all. It's easy not to know what may be good and if the person you trust is actually any good at what they may "claim" to know or do. Referalls from other people is usually a good way to start. If a person is doing Reiki correctly, their energy does not go into the person/animal they work on. It is the energy from the "universe" and most of the time the practitioner benefits as well . So I'm sure no harm was done.

    We needed drive to the Western college of Veterinery medicine in Saskatoon for emergency treatment
    I did that drive as well with my beloved Snowflake. It was -42C and treacherous roads. The vet I got didn't listen to me or my vets recommendations. She overstepped her bounds, and put my old kitty with a heart condition into respiratory arrest. I'll never forget the sound of my little girl screaming. They forgot an iv in her paw and had to take it out with no anaesthetic. They almost killed her and I almost decked the vet in the face. Needless to say, she was FIRED. The College itself is excellent.

    You sound very knowledgeable about the positive therapies I have tried. Any chance (hoping here) that you're on Vancouver Island?
    Nope. My sister lived in Victoria for 7 years and I visited but that was it. I'm in Oilerville in the Land of Klein. I know my sister had an excellent chiropracctor who did kinesiology, and did see someone for massage so I'll ask if she remembers. The main College for Accupuncture is there so I'm sure there's many good MD's of TCM available. The Dr. I see here got her degree there and I'm sure she can recommend someone if you wish. Let me know.

    Keep positive and you will attract positive people and practitioners As Frasier says, "Goodbye and Good Mental Health"!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  10. #60
    FORT Fanatic Melitta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    Myrosiedog, I also had problems with chronic UTI and yeast as well for ages, and started taking two Acidopholus caps three times a day...haven't had either one in about two years. I was able to cut back to one cap three times a day when I finally got rid of the infections for a couple of months in a row. I get the cheap kind from Wal-Mart, Spring Valley, Rexall, or whatever is the best deal. Seems to work just fine to me!
    I also take Acidopholus caps. I take them for lower stomach bloating. They help my food digest better and have "straightened up" my bm's. They have also help eliminate almost all of my bloating. Example: I would eat and my stomach would bloat out like I was 6 or 7 months pregnant. Very, very annoying to have a bloating problem like that. I was not IBS positive. No one could figure out what was causing it...so I researched on my own.

    I swear by Korean Ginseng for energy. Two every morning at 6:45. I also got a bonus with the ginseng...they took care of my allergies. This I know because both times I quit taking them, my allergies returned within a week.

    I take Kelp pills for my hair and nails. Lecithin for my brain, helps me to stay focused better.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.